Rock Pile, 1968 - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rock Pile, 1968

I had just got to Nam in July '67 at Chu Lai. Later in the year they asked for volunteers for a BLT so, not knowing what is was, a bunch of us volunteered. Went to Subic, got new uniforms, new M-16's, and then on board the Valley Forge and up to Cua Viet and more places I can't remember. I was one of the lucky ones, no purple heart. We lost a bunch of Marines thanks to a Bn.C.O. that would sit on the ship and give orders. He must have gotten wind of the bounty on his head and transfered out.

Credits
    Savings
    I thought BLT 3/1 came in on Buffalo, maybe it was 1/3 by the time it was over, half the Corps was up there. I was on BLT 3/4 March 67 we went to Subic but they wouldn't let us off. We on either the Prinston or the Montacello, I can't remenber any more we re-fitted on Oky but we never got back aboard, they flew us back for Hickory

ship

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    I thought BLT 3/1 came in on Buffalo, maybe it was 1/3 by the time it was over, half the Corps was up there. I was on BLT 3/4 March 67 we went to Subic but they wouldn't let us off. We on either the Prinston or the Montacello, I can't remenber any more we re-fitted on Oky but we never got back aboard, they flew us back for Hickory
    HST You were probably on the Princeton as it was a LPH. I was on the Preston when I landed at what was to become Chu-Lai on 7May 1965.

I was there for Badger Tooth, Badger Catch, Napoleon, Napoleon Saline, and more that I can't remember the names of. Last 30 days in Nam was at Da Nang.I couldn't live with all the spit and polish so I tried to extend for 6 months so I could get out of there, but, since I was married, they wouldn't let me. They said if I went home I wouldn't want to come back, They were right!

Credits
    Savings
    It must have been but I remember we loaded out of dong ha on mike boats, I was still the disrespectful wise ass that I am now, they fed us before we left... they gave us real live oranges, we hadn't seen a real live peice of fruit for a long time and we scarfed them down. when we got out to the gulf we had to wait until we had 3 mikes to get into the well deck of the ship we were heading for... a lot of the guys started heaving, I was used to a lot of crazy chopper rides and it didn't hit me at first, I was sitting on the bow telling by buddies Puke you MFers and then it finally got to me..... I ain't saying no more but we transferred to an LPH at sea and the amtrackers that I also gave a lot of sh*t to goy their revenge. But that's the Corps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung View Post
    HST You were probably on the Princeton as it was a LPH. I was on the Preston when I landed at what was to become Chu-Lai on 7May 1965.

When we left for the BLT, we left Da Nang on some kind of boat for Subic Bay. It was either a LST or LSD, anyways it was flat bottomed. Two days of puking for every Marine. Got to Subic and sat down on the rack and was still rocking back and forth.

Well I arrived in DaNang via Continental Airlines in late April 1968. Flew immediately to Quang-Tri. Next to Rockpile. I just got my M-16 and had never even seen one before. Sighted in and fired first time at the Rockpile. I also got to fire a LAW that day. I also went on my first patrol from here slogging in a lot of water probably around the base of the Rockpile. I remember the M-60 gunner slogging in front of me and for a moment all I could see was his helmet above the water with outstretched arms and M-60 above high and dry.

Papa Bear the first Americans killed in Vietnam were "Earthquake McGoon" James B. McGovern and Wallace Bufford on 6May54. They were flying in a load of arty ammo into Dien Bien Phu in a C-119 flying boxcar. They were hit by enemy ground fire. This was a CIA run operation.

8 years I'm reading your post

When I'm looking back at Nam, I've found the virtual archive to be highly helpful. Here are the links, Semper Fi Marine:

vva.vietnam.ttu.edu/repositories/2/digital_objects/221601

recordsofwar [dot com]/vietnam/usmc/3rdReconBn.htm

Fill in the necessary stuff to complete the links.

Credits
    Savings
    Long time to respond but better late than never. I was with 3/4 in Oct 66 learning the HST FAC trades. We were based just below the Rock Pile on a hill called Baldy with a tank.The whole battalion was around there and patrolling I went out with the FAC operator for about a month and then he rotated and i was on my own

Spent three weeks at The Rock Pile 12/69, at a Marine trc-27 comm site right off rte9 near the gate of LZ Stud (formerly Camp Vandegrift). It was monsoon season, and the area around the mountain was literally a sea of deep mud.

Thread Information