Weight issue?
Create Post

Thread: Weight issue?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Weight issue?

Hey, hows it going? I'm new here so just saying what's up? and I have a quick question if someone can please help me out.

So as probably a lot of you know, the Marine Corps have recruited more than they planned to for 2009. So with that, I hear anyone that isn't Jesus walking on water may be sh*t canned.

While my pull-ups lack (I will have those squared away by the time my IST comes) everything else is fine within requirements. Except for my weight. I currently weigh 205lbs. For my height which is 69 inches my maximum weight allowed is 196lbs. So my question is even though I can complete all physical requirements, do I still have a chance of being removed from the DEP program due to being overweight? Do they do a muscle to fat ratio instead?

You wont be removed from the DEP because you're 9 pounds over. If you weigh anymore than that, however, you'll probably be sent to PCP. If you ship to boot with that weight, you'll become a diet recruit, which basically means the DI's will watch everything you put into your mouth and possibly PT you a little harder than the other recruits. And I believe that you get weighed in every week.

I haven't been to boot yet, but just telling you what I read/heard.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I thought PCP was for recruits who cannot complete daily exercises due to being not physically fit enough. In my case it shouldn't be a problem. I mean if they take me in over weight and I'm still able to do everything like everyone else I don't see why they would put me in PCP. The pounds are going to fly off anyway.

If you ship to boot overweight you will be a diet recruit, not PCP, (that's for out of shape recruits who can't pass the IST)....so don't worry about the PORK CHOP PLATOON!! but get them pull ups squared away!! that's an order!

And for Gods sake do not ever say "Alright, I've made weight and so I'm ok now." You're never ok and you need to keep the weight off.

In the Marine Corps you're going to have PFT's twice a year. That means twice a year they're going to weigh you. Keep the pounds off. It's easier than trying to lose them twice a year. Trust me, I've been there and I'm not proud of it.

deBeer......To the best of my knowledge, you 'cannot' go into Boot Camp being overweight and since you're in the DEP and you didn't mention when you are leaving for Boot Camp, my advice to you is to loose the 9 lbs "before" you even get to Boot Camp. I had some weight to loose before I went in, and that was in 1988. You don't want to be a "weight Recruit" while going through Boot Camp. Your DI's will watch everything that you eat, at least that's the way it was when I was in Boot Camp .....and we had weigh-in's every Sunday morning. Let whatever other lbs you're going to have "fly off" happen during Boot Camp, but get those 9 lbs off "before" you go.....
    And PCP stands for "Physical Conditioning Platoon".

Good Luck!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm not scared of not making weight requirements just cause I guess I've always been lucky where even when I didn't work out, I've been able to lose weight. My main thing that I am worried about is my pull ups. Do any of you know a good pull up bar I can buy? I have the iron gym (slips into door frame and holds on by leverage) but it arch's my back cause I can't just hang cause my feet will be touching the ground. At my recruiters office and I think pretty all recruiters office's, they have a pull up bar that is easily assembled and they have a resistance band attached to it to assist. It seems stupid and for weak people but after like 15-20 pull ups with the band it gets a good burn in your muscles.

Poolee/DEP Free Member Hartford's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    If you don't like the Iron Gym your best bet is to run to a park or school playground with pull up bars and knock them out there for your workout. That or join a gym I suppose. You could always build one out of wood though if you have the time/money.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    That's a good idea too. Like maybe monkey bars? I might look into somehow hooking the iron gym onto the outside of my house. My recruiter told me when he was getting ready for boot camp he made a pull up and just mounted it to the side of his house. In the meantime I am going to try and find a higher door frame so my back wont arch as much.

Thread Information