what to do? family emergency while at training
Create Post

what to do? family emergency while at training

Hello all, ive finished bootcamp and MCT. now im at my MOS school. I received news my mother was in an automobile accident. Hit from the side when someone ran through a red light. Ill leave the details at a minimum. She is hospitalized, has head trauma / injury, bleeding in the brain, broken ribs, broken leg and ankle. A laceration on her foot tearing her tendons and ligaments. She is now wheelchair bound, cant walk and no one is home to care for her. The situation is bad.

I told my chain of command, they told me they need a red cross notification. I understand that, one should be here tomorrow. I need that to go home for emergency leave. But from the injuries from her accident, she has many surgeries lined up, cat scans, etc. She has to deal with all the legal aspects too, insurance, and im sure much therapy ahead. Im 20 years old. I need to go home and care for her, and i feel it will take much longer. I need to come home for more than the 1 to 2 weeks ill probably be granted for emergency leave. It will take months. Ive grown up really close to my mother, shes all i have and im all she has. I put my family first.

Is there anyway i can get military discharge or leave to take care of her for these next few months The surgeries, legal aspects, taking care of her will take many months. Ive been in the military for roughly 4.5 months. Since jan 20th. I feel so helpless being so far away and unable to do anything. What options do i have? The doctor says it will be a long and difficult road, i just dont know what to do. If i can, is it possible to leave the military to care for her? Any advice?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You may be able to get a humanitarian transfer to an I&I staff close to your home until the situation changes with your mother.

Take this up with your COC and the chaplain to see what can be done.

before you jump the traces...get your Red Cross verification and go home and get a SITREP and then go from there.

Good luck to you and thoughts and prayers for your mom.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Exactly.................don't make any sort of decision until you take whatever time you're given. Your Mom may surprise you, she may have everything lined up already to make sure she's taken care of so that you don't have to.

I know you want to be with her since she's not doing well but, honey (since I can't tell what gender you are from your profile or lack thereof), you're 20 and a Marine. I know if I were your mother, I would love to see you if you could take a little time off to come see me but, I wouldn't want you to stay and watch me. You're young, you're in the prime of your life and you have a contract with the U S Government and the Marine Corps.

Hope she gets well soon.

As blooper has mentioned, a humanitarian transfer to a I&I staff close by may be your best choice. However, like mentioned already, wait till you get home and find out more facts before you jump the gun. Sorry to hear about your mom. Now fill out your profile.

Devil Dog, we are just checking to see how your Mom is and how things are going??

P.S. Your Mom is in our prayers!!!!

Semper Fi
    SSgt McCord

Hey here is an idea to kick around!! See if you can get TAD to the local Recruiters office.

Thread Information