Broken Bones
Create Post

Thread: Broken Bones

Broken Bones

I am in the process of filling out all my paperwork before I go to MEPS and when I was completing the medical papers my recruiter asked me all the questions. I told him I had a broken collar bone(age 6, hairline fracture) and a broken arm(age 8, another hairline fracture) but neither of them needed surgery, just time to heal. He said that it is fine and to just not say anything about is at MEPS and I will be fine and he has sent many people through meps with broken bones including himself(I saw proof). The last thing in this world I want is to get pulled out of boot camp on a fraudulent discharge or something so what should I do? Keep quite or go thought the weeks of getting waivers?

Quote Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
    I am in the process of filling out all my paperwork before I go to MEPS and when I was completing the medical papers my recruiter asked me all the questions. I told him I had a broken collar bone(age 6, hairline fracture) and a broken arm(age 8, another hairline fracture) but neither of them needed surgery, just time to heal. He said that it is fine and to just not say anything about is at MEPS and I will be fine and he has sent many people through meps with broken bones including himself(I saw proof). The last thing in this world I want is to get pulled out of boot camp on a fraudulent discharge or something so what should I do? Keep quite or go thought the weeks of getting waivers?

What do you think you should do?

The last thing in this world I want is to get pulled out of boot camp on a fraudulent discharge or something
    I think you answered your own question.

Could they find out about it and because its so little would they pull me out of boot for it?

If you have a related injury and they pull old records or you volunteer it later because of an injury later on... sure. Or you could just be alright with one little white lie... They snowball ya know...

Could they find out about it and because its so little would they pull me out of boot for it?

You just didn't get my point.

You never know when a lie is going to come back and bite you in the back-side. A lie can stay out there as long as you live.

Sure, you have to get a waiver and it's an inconvenience to you, or your recruiter. BFD.

Your entire time, or half of your time in the Marine Corps is filled with inconveniences, get used to it. And get used to being honest. It's easy and simple and will never come back to hurt you.

What an inconvenience to your career, possibly somewhere down the line if you re-injure one of those things, then this simple little lie and inconvenience could become a big problem.

Why chance it.

Which is worse, a couple weeks of paperwork, or a lifetime of regret?

I get what you guys are telling me now. Thank you very much for helping me with this mater. I know what I have to do.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm not even sure there is a waiver required for a childhood injury of a broken bone that healed properly. The form says any broken bones? If yes then explain. Explanation .... at age 6 I fell out of a tree and broke my arm then wore a caste for 6 weeks until it healed. .... Case closed.

Such a trivial thing to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    I'm not even sure there is a waiver required for a childhood injury of a broken bone that healed properly. The form says any broken bones? If yes then explain. Explanation .... at age 6 I fell out of a tree and broke my arm then wore a caste for 6 weeks until it healed. .... Case closed.

Such a trivial thing to worry about
    I know, but I worry about anything that might hinder my chances of earning the title.

I know, but I worry about anything that might hinder my chances of earning the title.
    I dont know the current rules about broken bones, but they are probably more concerned about breaks that did not heal properly or that may have been deformed. There's hardly a kid in the world that hasnt gotten some kind of broken bone that healed normally.

If I have the choice of:

1) Telling the truth and getting a waiver and
    2) Lying

I wonder which way I have truly 'earned the title'?

I never considered lying as a means to earning a title that so many died for. Kinda sounds like "I'll lie to preserve my honor and integrity".

I had a broken leg which I reported. Nothing was ever said about it at MEPS, and no waiver was required. It was a minor break, though.

Quote Originally Posted by stein07 View Post
    I had a broken leg which I reported. Nothing was ever said about it at MEPS, and no waiver was required. It was a minor break, though.
    Did you just report it to the doc at meps?

It was a question on one of the forms. I don't remember the doctor ever asking about it, but he may have. It wasn't a big deal.

MEPS experiences are different for everyone, though. This is just how it was for me.

Quote Originally Posted by stein07 View Post
    It was a question on one of the forms. I don't remember the doctor ever asking about it, but he may have. It wasn't a big deal.

MEPS experiences are different for everyone, though. This is just how it was for me.
    ok thanks.

Thread Information