Door frame pull up bar not an option
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Door frame pull up bar not an option

So, I just managed to get a drill to put up the pull up bar I had bought recently, and sure enough, I go to drive in the first screw and it barely goes in halfway before stopping dead in it's tracks and refusing to go any further. I tried pretty much everything(including a normal screwdriver, which did actually work better, but still didn't get anywhere near finished), and after pushing on it so hard that the Phillips head grooves on the screw nearly wore off to the point that the screw could never be removed, I pretty much gave up and barely managed to get it out.

So anyway, there's $12 down the toilet, that was pretty much the only place it could go in my crappy apartment. Anyway, since the easy solution never ever works ever, can any of you think of some other way I could possibly work on my pathetic 5 pull ups without actually being able to do pull ups anywhere? Sounds pretty dumb, I know, but I've pretty much done everything I can think of, there's really pretty much nowhere around here I can find to do pull ups short of the thin pipes outside my apartment that don't really look like they could support mine, or really anyone's body weight.

Do some curls with some dumbbells, and just work the arms with weights- I hear that this will help will pull-ups.

Have you tried the Iron Gym? You've probably seen it in infomercials on TV. No screws or bolts or anything. My recruiter recommended I get one and It has been a godsend. I've raised my pull ups from 1 to 13 in 3 months.

You don't have to order it off TV either, you can pick one up at Sports Authority or any other sporting goods store as well the internet.

I bought a perfect pull up off amazon, you can put it in your door frame but it dosent require any screws or anything, works great for me.

I have the same problem. I got the iron gym and it is great. No screws or anything. It increased my pullups buy 6 in 2 months.

Hey if your still looking for a solution you can go to walmart they have the perfect pullup thing there for door frames hope this helps

Once, just once, I would like to hear of a Poolee going out and building their very own pull-up bars.

The door frame type are good, if you already have the form down perfectly.
    For the learning Poolee, it can create bad habits.

The Perfect pullup is a good tool, if you make sure to take it slow and watch your form.
    On the PFT you will preform how you train.
    You won't be tested on the perfect pull up bar, you will be tested on the standard bar.
    If you do use the perfect pullup, it shouldn't replace doing regular pullups.

The door frame type can be similar in that it may prevent you from going up completely.

Don't get lazy on your form.

I have a piece of advice for you Zaiik. Pre-drill the holes! Get a 1/8" drill bit, mark where the screws need to go, and drill a hole in each spot.

That way when you go to put the screw in, the threads will still grab but the shank will not get stuck.

If you dont already have a 1/8" bit, just borrow one. Im sure someone you know has one. That way your already expensive 12 dollar investment is not a waste. Oh and you can buy replacement wood screws at home depot for like 8 cents...

Hope that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post
    Once, just once, I would like to hear of a Poolee going out and building their very own pull-up bars.

The door frame type are good, if you already have the form down perfectly.
    For the learning Poolee, it can create bad habits.

The Perfect pullup is a good tool, if you make sure to take it slow and watch your form.
    On the PFT you will preform how you train.
    You won't be tested on the perfect pull up bar, you will be tested on the standard bar.
    If you do use the perfect pullup, it shouldn't replace doing regular pullups.

The door frame type can be similar in that it may prevent you from going up completely.

Don't get lazy on your form.

Actually, I find the pull-ups on the Iron Gym to be more tiring than the real ones at my recruiters office or the ones cemented into the ground at the community college that we do our pool functions at. I normally do about 2-3 more pull-ups when we do ISTs on real pull-up bars than I am normally able to do on my own with the Iron Gym. I have no idea why this is the case, It's just something I have noticed that happens consistently.

I swear I can remember a thread where we were talking about building a pull up bar. It's not that hard or expensive. The major concern is whether you're going to dig post holes and pour concrete or build a wide base for your pull up bar.

As for you Kreegz; it sounds like your form is jacked up on the Iron Gym. It's a different monster but there's more carryover there then doing dumbell curls or something that doesn't approximate pulling your bodyweight up and over a bar.

MBrazil, the kid may not have a drill/driver strong enough to plow through the material as well. Bits ain't cheap (not the good ones at least) and he may not know what's behind the drywall. He may get lucky and zip right through there with a standard 1/8 inch drill bit. High speed setting please.

Back to the home pull up bar option. If you're using wood... then treat it because the whole she-bang will be outside. Wrap your "bar" with athletic tape and make sure to take care of your calluses. Rings are a good option too. The possibilites are endless.

I made my own pull-up bar outside. All I did was take a steel pipe from my garage, drill a whole in each side, then bolt it to 2 tree branches. I wrapped some tape around it and was good to go, it works wonders for me.

Credits
    Savings
    Go find a tree.

I made my own in my backyard when I was a Poolee. I used some steel piping from Home Depot, along with some elbows and a bag of cement. Took me a couple hours, but the next day I was able to go out and do all the pullups I wanted. And it's still standing to this day (over 3 years later).

You don't need to digs holes or lay concrete for successful pullup bars.

Credits
    Savings
    Simple one:

Go to your local park and find the monkey bars and do pull ups there. Usually there are pull up bars there but if not the monkey bars will work just fine. While heading there take a nice run so your killing two birds with one stone. Running and pull ups isn't it great. Stay motivated.

Thread Information