A young veteran's story

Milford Daily News
Posted May 23, 2009 @ 11:09 PM

At just 20, Jacob Alaburda, is a war veteran. The 2007 Milford High School graduate, an artillery cannoneer in the Marines, arrived home from Iraq in April after serving a seven-month tour. He served as a guard in a regional detention facility, where he watched over prisoners during the day.

Q: What was your biggest challenge in Iraq?

A: Not having any alone time, or time to myself.

Q: Is it strange to you that people consider you a war veteran?

A: Yes, it is very weird to be considered a vet before my 21st birthday. Sometimes it just feels unreal that only a few years back I was sitting in Mrs. Bert's Italian class. When I look at other war vets, I almost feel like I don't rate the title of a "vet."

Q: What was the bond like between you and those you served with?

A: The bond that I've made with my brothers in Iraq is unique, war can create the longest lasting bonds between any individuals.

Q: What is one thing you wish people better understood about the war in Iraq?

A: That answer is simple. It is not a waste of time. We are doing great things for people out there, and their police force is becoming stronger. I can see a great downsize in the number of troops very soon.

Q: Is there anyone in particular who has helped you out along the way?

A: In high school, I met Dave Cuttler, who is the school's safety officer. He was a Navy Sea Bee for four years and has completed a few deployments to Iraq. It is good to have someone to talk to when I come home that can relate to the stresses that my job creates.

Q: What are you doing now that you're home?

A: Just spending time with friends and family, and enjoying the small things in life.

Q: Are there any future plans for you overseas?

A: I am going to Afghanistan sometime early next year.

--By Krista Perry / Daily News staff

Ellie