Door frame pull up bar not an option - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Monkey bars are actually a good training tool. Advance one bar, do a pull up, repeat. Keep doing that till you can't anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreegz View Post
    Actually, I find the pull-ups on the Iron Gym to be more tiring than the real ones at my recruiters office or the ones cemented into the ground at the community college that we do our pool functions at. I normally do about 2-3 more pull-ups when we do ISTs on real pull-up bars than I am normally able to do on my own with the Iron Gym. I have no idea why this is the case, It's just something I have noticed that happens consistently.
    I notice the same thing. I don't know about you, but for me, i think its because I have to keep my legs curled up and have to kind-of move back on the way up so my head doesn't hit the door frame.

I think it's because you have people watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaiik View Post
    So, I just managed to get a drill to put up the pull up bar I had bought recently, and sure enough, I go to drive in the first screw and it barely goes in halfway before stopping dead in it's tracks and refusing to go any further. ...
    Is the drill bit you are using black? Those are for drilling holes into metal, and they do exactly what you described when you try using them for wood. Try it on a 2x4 and if it still doesn't work, go get a chrome one.

When I was living at my dads in a mobile home the door frames weren't strong enough to support me for the iron gym. And instead of making a pull up bar in the ground I kind of made a portable one. For the same price of a perfect pull up just get Two 5 gallon buckets, a 4x4, a metal bar and a bag of cement and make your own. Just cut the 4x4 in half (if it's long enough) and stick them in the buckets of cement. Drill some holes in the 4x4's and slide the bar in it. It's perfect for if you live in an appartment too so that way you don't have to worry about leaving it out side and risking someone knocking it down or if the managment gives you a hard time about it. Dumb bells and push ups help, but for me actually doing the pull ups kept me more motivated.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I just use the rafters in my garage. The wood are 2x6s, I believe, so they can hold my weight easily.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the help everyone, I'll try some of this stuff and see if I can get something done.

Thread Information