MCO on uniform items with civilian attire
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MCO on uniform items with civilian attire

I've seen such an order around, but I haven't been able to locate it. Is the order still in effect? I mentioned to one of my Sgt's that I've seen an order around and he wants me to find it and make a copy of it. I've seen many Marine in civilian attire, wearing their boots, wearing chevrons, and having EGA's pinned on their bags. I corrected a Marine on what he was doing was wrong and he said that as long as it's "unserviceable," it can be worn in civilian attire. Is any of this true? I hope someone here can help me find that order.

everything you need to know about uniforms is in P1020.34G. I never saw anything specifying use for civilian wear due to being unserviceable but I may have missed it

http://www.unl.edu/nrotc/reference/M...20CH%201-4.pdf

Scroll down near the end to the Laws and Regulations of the Uniform section. I did see a section of wearing uniform items on Civilian dress attire and wearing of a certain uniform for prior service Marines. I skimmed through it quickly, but I didn't see any regs on uniform items i.e. the EGA.
    250+ pages I can't believe I am this friggin bored! I'm going to find something more fun to do....outta here.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapablast05 View Post
    I've seen such an order around, but I haven't been able to locate it. Is the order still in effect? I mentioned to one of my Sgt's that I've seen an order around and he wants me to find it and make a copy of it. I've seen many Marine in civilian attire, wearing their boots, wearing chevrons, and having EGA's pinned on their bags. I corrected a Marine on what he was doing was wrong and he said that as long as it's "unserviceable," it can be worn in civilian attire. Is any of this true? I hope someone here can help me find that order.
    If there is a rule, by all means enforce it. Having said that, if you can't find it in writing and it doesn't look bad, who cares? If it is permitted but does look bad, fix it anyway. You (and especially your Sgt) still have every right to lock Marines on for being stupid. Power is what you use it for...

For what it's worth, we were taught in boot camp (mid-'05) that boots, MCMAP belt and AWC were permitted for wear with civilian attire. That in NO WAY means I would want to, though. I will admit to wearing my combat boots for camping/hiking, however) As for chevrons, that just sounds weird. EGAs-if they are moto let them be...just my $0.02...

Credits
    Savings
    There are only a few items explicitly authorized for wear in civilian attire. Shoes and socks are definitely on that list so use those boots for hiking all you like. You can even rock the patent leather dress shoes aound town if you want.
    An unserviceable item does not make it authorized fo wear in civilian attire. Obsolete uniform items are, however, authorized.

EGA and rank insignia items that are used on uniforms are not authorized so any EGA or rank insignia should not be any kind of uniform item.

PP1020.34G Section 1005 part 2 will tell you everything you need to know.

I know you can wear the AWC, wolly pully, and the sweatshirt for civilian attire, but I do not know of any specific uniform 'items' you can wear. If you can't find it in the MCO, I suggest you take a look in the green monster- your training NCO should have some, if you accidentally threw yours out... Marines have a tendency to do that. Hope this helps.

(1) Items authorized for wear with civilian clothing by men are
    restricted to the gold cuff links, studs, tie bar, mourning band, footwear, socks, gloves, undergarments, black bow-tie, green wool scarf, general purpose trunks, and crew neck-service sweater, the all-weather coat, tanker jacket, personally owned extreme cold weather jackets (gortex) without grade insignia, watch caps, and cold weather physical training uniforms.

(2) Uniform items authorized for wear with civilian clothing by women
    are restricted to the white shirt without insignia of grade, footwear,
    gloves, handbag, clutch purse, mourning band, crew-neck service sweaters,
    green wool scarf, general purpose trunks, the all-weather coat, extreme cold weather jacket (gortex) tanker jacket or the dress blue sweater without insignia of grade, watch caps, and cold weather physical training uniforms.

(3) Uniform items that have been declared obsolete may be worn with
    civilian clothing, when appropriate, provided such items contain no

distinctive insignia or buttons.
    From the MCO. Page 25 and 26

Thanks for helping me find this article, everybody. Everyone seems to be more locked on about civilian attire now in my Squadron. The Squadron Gunny and First Sergeant recognized me as a "motivated hard charger."

I went to "The Palace" (well I used to go all the time) up in Hollywood and I schit you not, I saw a boot wearing supre spit-shined jungles with his outfit.

Good onions onthe spit-shine but man what a fag.

this has been addressed before in another thread.

shoes and socks yes, yet the combat boots have the EGA on them witch in another part of the order states that with that, you are not authorized to wear them in civilian attire... that's why they added that to the boots because some moto cowboys wore their black boots in civies and the order didn't specify foot wear...

so the EGA corrects that loop-hole without over complicating the order.

there are other Service Uniform items you can wear in civies, like your web-belt, tie clip, corafams, and shirt stays (not really a uniform item... I know).

anything to do with cammies is off limits.

If you see anyone that just graduated boot camp, ask to see his green monster. There is an order, I'm not sure if it's new, but I read it plain as day in my green monster while in boot camp, of which I just graduated. From what I understood from that chapter, you're allowed to wear unservicable marine corp uniform items, but there are some uniform items that can be worn out of uniform such as the boots which they told us in boot camp we could wear out of uniform. I guess that one's under controversy. But the new marine that you corrected was right to a point, but I hope he wasn't disrespectful.

you can not wear the new boots... I'll go hunt for it in the order if you Marines really really want me to.

and unserviceable uniform Items are not authorized to be worn with civilian attire... otherwise you'd be able to wear the whole uniform so long as they have quarter sized holes in all the garments.

really, where do you get this from? I doubt it's in the green monster... I still have mine and if I go look I'll bet you mis-interpreted what it said.

I think the green monster hasn't been revised since 2007. There's a paper copy of the order down on the quarter deck. I can go take a look at it. ArtyOps posted the order already and when I was signing out with the SDO to go out in town, he saw that this Marine had his jungle boots on and told him to read the order on the wall. Amazingly enough, it was the same exact order that ArtyOps posted previously. Verbatum. I don't know what that Marine's problem is with following a simple order. His argument was that it's unserviceable and he can wear it. I told him that unserviceable and obsolete are totally different things. You don't have to hunt it down, SSgt. This Marine is just that 10% from boot camp that's always going to be OFP.

roger, Thanks killer.

now go learn to fix things that fly...

Oorah SSgt.

3 weeks left and I'm out of A school. Been here almost 7 months.

Thread Information