Reserves question.
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Reserves question.

Ok, I got a question for anyone who may know a little bit about the reservers.

I currently have a G.E.D and I am currently enrolled in college to get my 15 credits. This is my first semester and I am only taking 1 class (3 credit hours) since it is summer semester and only 8 weeks instead of the regular 16 and I've been out of school for a while and didn't want to rush to much and fail.

I had been talking to a locate recruiter took the ASVAB (got an 81). About a week or so ago he offered me the chance to ship out as a reserves if I took the job they needed to fill (MMS) and left in June. I turned it down because, 1) I was more interested in active duty at the time and was told I'd have to wait 2 yrs before I could switch from reserves to active. 2) Wasn't sure about the job and they needed a quick responce and I wasn't prepared to make a desicsion so quickly.

Today one of the recuiters at the office called me to see if I had thought about the reservers more and to let me know the had some new information for me. 1) That I wouldn't have to wait 2yrs to make the switch to active and I could do it after 6 months of reserves. - Does anyone know anything about this or have maybe heard about it?

I also have another question, while in the reserves, if I can't switch to active as soon as 6 months does the Marines pay for my schooling?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Depends on your reserve station, and MOS/rank. Some can take 3 weeks to switch, and a GySgt at mine said a Marine was waiting a year and a half still. I've been told that the active duty switch goes by a list, the higher the rank, the more priority, as for spots for your current MOS at an active duty station.

If you want active duty, just get your 15 credits, and sign up for active. Don't go the reserve route unless you need to stay home, or want to get more college in.

Another thing about reserve units, they only support certain MOS's. Say like Orlando, that is a Logistical AAV, and Intel, you can't sign up for an Aviation Mechanic there as a reservist.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the response, so basically 6 months is the best possible outcome but not definite.

I found some info on reserves and college and it said something about $3xx a month, is that what I'll get paid for being in college to help me out or for use towards tuition?

College is by your own choice, they don't pay you to go, unless you decide to do PLC (think they pay for college during that, not exactly sure). That 300 or so a month is your reserve drill pay, during training, you will get full active duty pay as if you were a regular active Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    But the Selected GI Bill does will pay the tuition for my classes?

http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/C...et_General.htm

That's what I gathered from this.

We had a guy at my Unit just make the switch. He had only been at 2-3 drills before too, so he basically switched in 3 months. All depends on your unit.

You will recieve the reserve MGIB which is approx $350 per month (while you're in school) if you enlist in the reserves. It's not enough to cover all of your tuition but it helps. Also, if you are not a full time student (12+) hours then the amount you recieve is lower.Switching from the reserves to active duty can be tricky but is poosible. However, if you are dead set on being active duty then I would suggest signing an AD contract. You should be willing to fulfill 100% of whatever contract you sign. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for all they help I received. I decided to just hold out till I get my credits and get an AD contract.

Also it'll allow me to get in better shape. So a win/win for me.

Credits
    Savings
    Grodunt, Hello Sir I see your from Southlake, I'm from Mckinney Tx. One hell of a football program you got going on over on your side of Big D. Semper Fi SIR.

Credits
    Savings
    Oh wow, I used to live in Colleyville and Coppell

Credits
    Savings
    Just down the road!! And nothing against recruiters but get it in writing. You go reserves with a promise to go active in 6 months and you'll never see an active duty day. If your going to go in the Corps then go in, don't go reserve, you'll never hear the end of it in boot camp either. By the way I grew up in Hickory NC, moved to Dallas when i was 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgesml View Post
    Grodunt, Hello Sir I see your from Southlake, I'm from Mckinney Tx. One hell of a football program you got going on over on your side of Big D. Semper Fi SIR.
    Yes the boys of Southlake sure know how to play ball. Proud to say I spent my time on the field years ago (1997-2000). That was before Coach Dodge though. Great traditions to be a part of. Semper Fi Sergeant.

Credits
    Savings
    Yes Sir, Dodge should have stayed at Southlake also, Doesn't look promising so far at UNT. But I guess you got to start somewhere.

Good to hear from someone sir, I hear it's raining like crazy in Texas. We haven't had rain since Feb (I think). Doesn't look like any in the forecast till next Feb either. So far it's hit 120 a few times. That was before noon, Cooled off after that to about 115.

Thread Information