Looking for Marines 1984-1988
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for Marines 1984-1988

My name is Russell L. Appling - E3 and I served in the USMC from 1984 - 1988 - MCRD San Diego, 29 Palms CA and on Camp Pendelton CA - even did a float on the USS Okinowa LPH-3 . It would be nice to hear from others who served in this period as well just for old time sake. Semper Fi.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Welcome Aboard Russell! Throw your $h!t in the corner and have a beer.............

I was in during the same time but on the Wing side of the house and never was anywhere you were - got close (Pendleton & El Toro) but, no cigar.

Semper Fi and hope you enjoy the stay.

Thanks for the welcome aboard - consider my gear stowed in the corner. Really looking forward to meeting others as well. Semper Fi

Hi Russell,

I served in the Marine Corps 1983-1988. I was stationed at El Toro, Camp Pendleton and Okinawa, Japan. Being a Woman Marine, I went to bootcamp at Parris Island, South Carolina.

Semper Fi.

Hey C130 - I had a buddy stationed in El Toro. What did you end up doing after discharge? I went on to open up my own Bail Bond business and raise a family. I went by Oceanside last week and drove by the base. It was hard to not take the turn off the freeway and try to enter the base to see the place and how its changed. I tried a couple of years ago but I got turned around at the gate. Strange to miss the place. Remember how the air on base would smell like ocean salt and wet wild grass at 0400 in the morning? Do you remember the service wide order to change the uniform over from the white T-shirts to the Green and how weird it felt? Just before my discharge I went thru a Class A uniform inspection and got chewed out for not shining my coraframe shoes - and then explaining that they were not fakes but honest to God spit shines! (turns out I was the last guy in the company to not own a pair of the plastic shoes!) Just random old school thoughts. Hope all is well with you. Stay in touch! RLA

russell, i swear your name sounds fam, i was on the stumps way to dang long and way to long ago but sounds like we ate some of the same sand and maybe even sun bathed at Lake Bandini together. Good to see there are still some jarheads who survived the Last O, semper fi .......................................L/cpl Mark Thorpe 83-87

Hey Thorpe !

I was at the field radio operator school at 29 Palms August 1984. Do you remember the brass Bust of Warrant Officer Gracy that was out in front of the base theater? It was for his professional expert sniper skills. He was my History teacher in High School - no ****. I remember one day the wax on my spit shines MELTING while we stood on the grinder in Class A uniforms waiting for our pay on a black flag day. I hated that base - too damn hot. I do have one fond memory of the base - once I took advantage of the recreational services and ran a horse across the desert - felt like freedom. Anyway just random old school memories - stay in touch man.

L/ cpl Appling 84-84

Welcome aboard Russell,
    I was in from 85-89 at Pendleton with 1/5.
    About 3 yrs. ago took my family to Cali. for the theme park vacation we stayed in Anaheim and drove right by Pendleton on the way to San Diego for the zoo and sea world. Yeah it brought back some memories...
    didn't venture into Oceanside just stayed on the highway but kinda felt like going home in a way. Anyway did a couple weeks at the palms for live fire ranges don't remember much except the heat...

Squad Leader Free Member Big Jim's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondsman View Post
    My name is Russell L. Appling - E3 and I served in the USMC from 1984 - 1988 - MCRD San Diego, 29 Palms CA and on Camp Pendelton CA - even did a float on the USS Okinowa LPH-3 . It would be nice to hear from others who served in this period as well just for old time sake. Semper Fi.
    Welcome aboard, brother....!! I was in from 84 to 96....we definitely chewed a little dirt at the same time...! LOL.....I never did make it to the stumps on a PCS tour though....I went through there many a time though....believe me...I wasn't jealous of the location...!! Welcome aboard again.....!!

Quote Originally Posted by c130 View Post
    Hi Russell,

I served in the Marine Corps 1983-1988. I was stationed at El Toro, Camp Pendleton and Okinawa, Japan. Being a Woman Marine, I went to bootcamp at Parris Island, South Carolina.

Semper Fi.
    Did you know aMarine by the name Ed( Edgey) Lippe While at El Toro? He was with C-130s during that time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondsman View Post

Im new here also. I was in when you were. Semper Fi and good to see someone from my generation in here. I was in from 87/91.

I was in duing that time frame too.
    86-90.
    MCRDSD,ITS Pendleton then The Stumps as we called 29 Palms then.
    ACo.1/4, ICo.3/7, ACo.Rein.3rd Lai.
    Clp. Smith D.C.

I was in the Corps around the same time Kilo Co. 3/1, 1st PLT. Camp "HAPPY" Horno from Dec. 1984 - Aug. 1988. Graduated Bootcamp Oct. 1984, PLT. 1082.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    82-86 - 1/7 Comm Plt. Camp Pendleton, Camp Hansen.

I was also in during that time. 83 -87. MCRD San Diego, Infantry Training School, Camp Pendleton, Barracks Duty Phillippines A CO, Wpns Co, Drg Plt 2/1 Camp Horno, West Pac on the LHA 1 USS Tarawa.
    Had A great time. No Regrets.
    Semper Fi!!!!!!

Thread Information