Length of MCT
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Length of MCT

Length of MCT

It has come to my attention that MCT may be lengthened to 29days rather than 22days. The 1stSgt who briefed us at MCRD PI about MCT told us that it hadn't started yet. Anyone know if the class that starts on the 15th is a 22day or 29day long MCT. LMK so that I can plan around it for RA afterwards with my recruiter.

It should have started by now.

Quote Originally Posted by FranksJL
    It has come to my attention that MCT may be lengthened to 29days rather than 22days. The 1stSgt who briefed us at MCRD PI about MCT told us that it hadn't started yet. Anyone know if the class that starts on the 15th is a 22day or 29day long MCT. LMK so that I can plan around it for RA afterwards with my recruiter.
    Im pretty sure its 29 days now. A friend of mine just graduated MCT about a week or two ago.

Ok thats great. I think they were saying that it is a extra week to futhure prep new Marines for combat patrols or something like that. Could someone give me insight to what happens at MCT.

Quote Originally Posted by FranksJL
    Ok thats great. I think they were saying that it is a extra week to futhure prep new Marines for combat patrols or something like that. Could someone give me insight to what happens at MCT.
    "
    Mission: The MCT mission is "To train all non-infantry Marines in the infantry skills essential to operating in a combat environment."
    Marine Combat Training is a 22-day course in which entry level Marines are taught the common skills needed in combat. (In September 2007, it was announced that MCT would increase to 29-days. Marines who have MOS specialties other than Infantry learn the basics of Combat Marksmanship, Grenades, the M203 Grenade Launcher, AT-4 Rocket Launcher, M240G Medium Machine Gun, Improvised Explosive Devices, Defending a Position, Convoy Operations, Combat Formations, Fireteam Assaults, Patrolling, Military Operations on Urban Terrain (MOUT), Communicate with a PRC-119 (radio), Reporting Intel, and Land Navigation. Training also includes combat conditioning by running the Marine Corps Obstacle Course, conducting hikes, runs and Marine Corps Martial Arts training. Upon completion of Marine Combat Training, the Marine is to have gained the knowledge and ability to operate in a combat environment as a basic rifleman; and to perform his/her primary duties under fire"

Basically you're out in the field all the time. You're learning Marine Combat techniques and skills. Essentially, its a few weeks of feeling what its like to be a grunt.

So the 29day program has started.

i did the 29 day cycle. its not that bad, just an extra week of "take a high right knee"

After this comes SOI?

Then you go to SOI if you are a Grunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hood
    Then you go to SOI if you are a Grunt?
    If you signed up as 03xx, you'll go to SOI instead of MCT. SOI is a MOS training school. But you should know that already if you're claiming that you're a Marine.

Eric, No. They stopped that a while back. (or at least that is what they did).
    Before, 1995 ish, 03's would attend MCT and then go to SOI. But they changed that to where the 03's now would just go to SOI from Boot. They then would do a modified MCT version first (10 days) that every 03 would complete. Then the 0331's, 0341's, 0351's, etc. would break off to learn their weapon systems.
    Now this was in the 1998, so things may have changed.

I completed MCT at Camp Pen in 1999. I believe it was 17 days. We did everything from Land Nav to Digging Foxholes. We assaulted other platoons in the area.

It was an excellent experience.

But I ended up an airwinger

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Destroyer
    If you signed up as 03xx, you'll go to SOI instead of MCT. SOI is a MOS training school. But you should know that already if you're claiming that you're a Marine.
    oops, my apologies Eric. I didnt know you were an "Old Salt"

Oorah!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Destroyer
    oops, my apologies Eric. I didnt know you were an "Old Salt"

Oorah!
    Way back in our day it was go directly to ITR (Infantry Training Regiment) from bootcamp (no leave) then take 10 day's leave after ITR.

I don't know which way is better, but it doesn't really matter, since we still are making some damn good Marines...

Quote Originally Posted by Camper51
    Way back in our day it was go directly to ITR (Infantry Training Regiment) from bootcamp (no leave) then take 10 day's leave after ITR.

I don't know which way is better, but it doesn't really matter, since we still are making some damn good Marines...
    I think its nice that the new Marines get some leave after boot camp. They deserve a little mental break before they go on to infantry training.

I went to SOI in 99. It was either ITB for 03's, or MCT for non 03's.

Thread Information