Do I have a chance??? - Page 3
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If you want to pull rank how about you act like NCOs and take it off the public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JWDevilDog View Post
    Woah woah woah, Marines, I think we need to calm down a bit. I think a few of us on this thread are starting to get pretty heated. Let's just take a step back, let out a long breath, and count to ten.

Feel better yet?

Now, I have two very close friends, one a LCpl. and one a PFC, who are outstanding Marines. As a matter of fact, they both came in with GEDs, and drug waivers. The PFC only enlisted because the judge said to him "either enlist or I'm throwing you in jail." His excelency was in the Corps, many moons ago.

So, SNM decided to enlist. He is now an outstanding Marine, and will make an outstanding citizen if he decides not to re-enlist. However, I already know he will more than likely put in 20+ years, if at all possible. That goes for both of SNMs.

Now, do sh*tty civilians come into the Marine Corps and make horrible Marines? Yes. Do they also sometimes make stellar Marines? Yes. Do clean citizens come in and end up being both kinds of Marines? Yes.

In terms of standards, I agree that the Corps should hold it's aspiring members to certain higher standards. I agree absolutely. But does that mean never let someone in who had drug waivers or the like? No. It simply means take it on a case by case basic. Nothing is ever set in stone in the Corps, as we all know. Nothing is ever set in stone in terms of how humans operate, either. There is no clear-cut "yes or no" answer to these questions. It should (and usually is, thankfully) be on a case by case basis.

Just one more example. Cpl. Marco Martinez. Read about him below:

http://waronterrornews.typepad.com/h...rco-marti.html

He has a book, which descirbes his life prior to the Marine Corps. He was a gang-banger, a hoodlum, and was a menace to society. It also describes how he changed his life and bettered himself by becoming a Marine. Look it up here:

http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Corps-Gan.../dp/0307383040
    Well said, JW.

Credits
    Savings
    I normally don't get into my different opinions with another Marine on this forum, but the point I tried to make here was when someone claimed "I have always wanted to be a Marine..." and he/she should have evidences such as joining H.S JROtC, studying M.C. history, exercising/training, doing the rigth things/staying of trouble, and preparing his/herself for bootcamp.... And this kid, instead he smoked pot, and went out did stupid shizt sabotaging poeple properties, and got in trouble with the laws. All he had to say is admitting that he is a fuvkedup kid and seeking for life redemption by joining the Corp. To me he is bullshizt and making it sounds like people should feel sympathy for his past deeds. And my opinion is still a noop.

BR34, If you have any revelant suggestion/opionion/feedback for this kid and go ahead. No Marine here have made any commend/judgement/comparison about you with this kid and so don't jump into the hooch and get offend of what we said, and don't bash with another Marine. And I do careless whether you agreed or disagreed with my opinion/feedback of this kid having now chance.

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    BB34:

Hey Cpl, don't make me dress you down in front of a poolee. What the fvck is on my collar? You might want to correct yourself when you address a higher rank. If this is the kind of respect you give your Sgt's, I can't fathom how you received 4.9/4.9 or Marine of the Year. Apparently you did not deserve any of that if this is the type of Marine you are. You need to learn to respect your superiors, I have done much more for the Corps than you have, I think I deserve a little respect. It is fine that you have a different opinion than I do, it's called democracy.

Do you even know what honor is? Yes, I take pride in the Corps and I take pride in my honor. I like good citizens joining my ranks over bad citizens, that's my preference. If you don't like it, by all means, develop your own opinion.
    Wow...just, WOW!

Sgt,

In my experience, the NCO's that say things like you just did are about as insecure as they come. Who really says to another Marine, "I have done more for the Corps than you have"??? So you personally know the other Marines on this site and what they have done? If you want to play that game, then fine but looking at your ribbon rack, you haven't done much of anything.

Remember that respect is EARNED, not GIVEN. You can not demand it! There is a big difference between a Sergeant and an E-5. You apparently hold yourself in such high regard so there isn't a point in saying anything else. I just hope you realize how wrong you really are with the things you said and with your biased "opinions".

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    WOW!!!
    Marines Bashing Marines on a public forum.
    Might I suggest that if you have conflicts with each other other than constructive critisizum that you take it over to private messaging.
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    My posts were directed at civilians who want join the Corps, not at Marines. I have known good Marines who had criminal/drug waivers, I credit the DI's for turning them around. I just feel that the Corps should be selecting the best of society, not the worst. This kid doesn't just have a drug problem, criminal record problem, GED problem, but he has all three! Plus he isn't exactly a model citizen because of his volunteer work, he is only volunteering for credit- that defeats the purpose. He has so many problems even the National Guard has rejected him, so why should we put our "high standards" aside and take him in? Isn't that what the Army is for?
    You pretty much summed up several Marines on this site. And that pretty much summed up a lot of really good Marines that are currently fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan and proving on a daily basis that they are true leaders. These fine men and women were once civilians wanting to join the Marines to. Guess if you were in charge, then they would have never been allow in. As far as that goes, I wouldn't have been allowed to join either.

As far as the Corps should be selecting the best their is and not the worst. For starters, the worst are in prison or on the run. And when it gets down to it, I would rather have a kid that is trying to turn their life around rather than some spoiled pefect citizen. At least those that are working on making their lives better have a goal and work hard to get to it. Some of our so called "best citizens" are just here for a paycheck and a way to help go to college. A lot of them aren't the ones that stand out in a crowd. A lot of the ones that do stand out, have had a shaky background. Maybe not as bad as this kid, but still shaky. I have had the privalidge of serving with Marines that had a stack of waivers thicker than their contract. And if I had to do it all over again, I would still be honored to serve with them.

I guess if it was up to you, anyone that made a mistake in life, would never be able to join our ranks. Even if they have found the right path to follow. If this kid truely is wanting to make a better life for himself, then he will make a good Marine. He will show drive and determination. I will take that over any high school/college honor grad anyday.

Can you look me in the eye's (if we were face to face) and honestly tell me you never made a mistake in life prior to join the Corps? I can honestly tell you I came in with several mistakes under my belt and not proud of any of them. But after proving myself for 20+ yrs, I walked out the door knowing I made a difference and damn proud of it.

This kid made some mistakes in life. He does deserve the chance to prove himself. Even in our Corps. Now if he was a Marine and done this and is trying to come back in, then that would be a different story. He has never done anything to tarnish our name and should be given the oppertunity to become a fine Marine.

Now I know you are sitting back thinking.... "Why give him a chance to tarnish our name?". If thats the case, why give a "good citizen" that chance? It would be interesting to find some stats on Marines that have screwed up while in the Corps. Stats that would compare their lives prior to joining. How many of our screw-ups were "perfect citizens" prior to joining? How many were considered "less than desireable" citizens?

Opinions are like arseholes..... everybody has one. And thats a good thing. Both opinions and arseholes. Thats (opinions) what makes this a great country.

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    Wow...just, WOW!

Sgt,

In my experience, the NCO's that say things like you just did are about as insecure as they come. Who really says to another Marine, "I have done more for the Corps than you have"??? So you personally know the other Marines on this site and what they have done? If you want to play that game, then fine but looking at your ribbon rack, you haven't done much of anything.

Remember that respect is EARNED, not GIVEN. You can not demand it! There is a big difference between a Sergeant and an E-5. You apparently hold yourself in such high regard so there isn't a point in saying anything else. I just hope you realize how wrong you really are with the things you said and with your biased "opinions".

Very true.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Semper Fi, Gunny !!!

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeIsland View Post
    Semper Fi, Gunny !!!
    Semper Fi my brother. Here's to you....

commdog...... I truely hope you were just having a bad day and got a good nights sleep. Some of your comments would definitley change my opinion of you and I would hate for that to happen. Semper Fi

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KawiGunny View Post
    Semper Fi my brother. Here's to you....
    Thank you Gunny!!!
    I have read this thread over and over and over.
    I admire any young Man or Women that wants to Enlist/Join any Branch of our Armed Forces, esp. during the last 8 years we have been at war and them fully aware that they me be called upon to perhaps give their lives.

I say everyone deserves the chance to turn themselves around and I am not that person to pass judgement.

Give the Kid a BREAK!!! Pot Smoker???

I know a couple of guys that admitted to smoking pot in there past and you know what???

They became President of the United States of America!!!

This is just my Humble Opinion.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by CAMIRÉ View Post
    If you want to pull rank how about you act like NCOs and take it off the public forum.
    Thank you SGT.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeIsland View Post
    I know a couple of guys that admitted to smoking pot in there past and you know what???

They became President of the United States of America!!!
    Maybe I should run for office next election.

As long as you don't inhale......

Quote Originally Posted by KawiGunny View Post
    commdog...... I truely hope you were just having a bad day and got a good nights sleep. Some of your comments would definitley change my opinion of you and I would hate for that to happen. Semper Fi
    I definately said some things that had no place on this forum and I sincerely apologize for that. I am not a person to ask for respect, to be honest, I cannot recall a single time I have ever pulled rank on someone (aside from this forum). I felt that I was disrespected personally, and I felt the urge to defend myself. I am one of the most lenient/passive Marines there are and I do fully agree that respect is something that needs to be earned regardless of what is on a Marine's collar. What I posted here yesterday was a mistake, I would delete it all if I could.

And you're right, my actions were influenced on the type of day I was having. I had a bad day, I have been having quite a few of those lately. I have spent the last three Christmas's stationed overseas, haven't be able to take a single day of leave in 2 years (haven't seen any of my family since the beginning of 2007), been stationed in one sh!t-hole after another and that's not even the half of it... it really takes a toll. Prolonged stress is never a good thing, and in my case, sometimes it releases itself in all the wrong places- like this forum. If all of you had the chance to walk in my shoes, then you would understand. Once I have the opportunity to take some much needed leave, my comments on these forums will be bright and shiny like everyone likes them to be.

Thread Information