A question regarding current MCRD policies.
Create Post

A question regarding current MCRD policies.

A friend called me today for a little advice. Here's the deal:
    His nephew is currently a poolee, and will be leaving for MCRD right after high school graduation. The uncle wants to get him something for H.S. graduation---something the recruit could take with him to MCRD and use. When I went to MCRD, (way back when--1969) everything we took to boot, got mailed back home in a box within a few hours of our arrival except maybe a watch or religious item, and those had to be kept in our footlocker till after graduation from MCRD.

I know a lot has changed in the last 40 yrs (or maybe not), so I was unsure what to tell him. Any advice from those of you who are a bit younger than I am? Are recruits now allowed to keep anything with them during training?

Recruits are allowed to keep exceedingly little, Sgt, and what they can keep will either be stowed away with their civilian clothes or put into the blue money valueable bag. He won't need the timepiece during training and it will be stowed with his civilian gear.

A small religious item would most likely go in the bag along with a sheet of paper with phone numbers and addresses on it, as well as a photo ID and debit card.

They take away just about everything, Sgt, but religious and personal identification or bank cards. Anything that will fit in a wallet, you can basically keep. I would advise actually, if it's a book or something, to wait until he gets past receiving and mail the gift to the new recruit, that way he might have a good chance of actually enjoying what you got for him.

My family got me a Marine Corps Bible to take with me to boot camp when I went Sgt. That was in my foot locker but I read it at night and took it with me to church. A religious necklace can be worn also, but other than that pretty much everything goes away Sgt.

I see some things do indeed--never change. I appreciate the quick responses. Thinking back, I don't believe we were even allowed to keep any cash--our 1st haircuts and sheet shave shower gear was purchased on a chit within hours of "marching" off the yellow footprints.

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    They take away just about everything, Sgt, but religious and personal identification or bank cards. Anything that will fit in a wallet, you can basically keep. I would advise actually, if it's a book or something, to wait until he gets past receiving and mail the gift to the new recruit, that way he might have a good chance of actually enjoying what you got for him.
    In 1974 we weren't allowed to keep anything you have said it was all taken away what good would a bank card be?

Thread Information