Recruiter says after training I can switch to Active...
Create Post

Recruiter says after training I can switch to Active...

Hello Marines,

I am 28 years old and I turn 29 in July. I am interested in active duty, but there is not an active duty ship date available until October (and I will have passed the age cutoff at that time).

There is a reservist ship date available in May. The recruiter believes this is my best option to arrive at training before I turn 29, and then he says I can switch from reserve to active. He says the paperwork is inconvenient and the process is time consuming, but seems positive that the switch can happen. He believes this is a better bet than an age waiver, as if it does not get approved I will also miss the May ship date.

I am not trying to spend any time in reserves for school or such and I don't have any preference on MOS. I am single and have no dependents. My ASVAB was high and I have no problems with the physical.

My question is: In your experience, have you seen many approvals for switching from reserve to active? And how long have you seen the process take?

Thank you for assistance.

There was a Marine in my MCT who turned 31, and his brother is with me, and he just turned 30 a few weeks ago. I don't see how you turning 29 would make it an issue other then the waivers they also had to get. They are both active duty Marines, also. For them to get their waiver passed, they had to run a full PFT and get an officers approval.

I'm trying to switch active duty myself, I have heard it can take up to a year, and the Gunnery Sergeant I talked to right before bootcamp said there was a Marine who was waiting a year and a half to still switch. I have been told that reserve units approve of you switching active for the most part, but I know you will need to find a recruiter to help you switch the entire way through (that would be the hard part). I wouldn't see a problem with you though, since if your recruiter already mentioned to switch you over right after, he will probably help you through it also.

Sounds to me like your recruiter has met his quota for AD guys and needs reservists. It is possible to switch from reserves to AD but if you're dead set on going AD then I wouldn't sign a reserve contract. Age waiver shouldn't be a problem for you as long as you're physically fit. Best of luck.

Thumbs up look at it like this

Look at it like this, if you can't get on active duty right now. No biggie, at least by joining, and getting to boot camp ealier, opposed to going later. You at least will have gone to Boot Camp, and earned the title of Marine. From there at least by being in the Marine Corps, your options can be open to an extent. You will at least be a Marine, and work on your career from there. Everything else will be water under the bridge. You asked the question, I gave you the best answer to my ability. Semper Fi

Maybe you should just wait and get the waiver. You probably will miss your ship date getting the age waiver, but it will still be quicker than trying to go reserves and switching to active duty. It all depends if you want to ship on time, or wait a few months to go active.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Jill

Have you checked in to see what is available at your Reserve Unit in Phoenix for you? As far as Active Duty Quota the Marine Corps has made mission (not quota) for 5 consecutive years. You will not be a grunt but there may be mos s in your unit that will suit your needs and above all the needs of the Marine Corps above anything else. In your recruiting district there may be shipping dates available??? It might be a big if. When I was on the streets as a production recruiter within the 1st District we could swap for ship dates and mos (programs). If you say that your ASVAB was high that really helps. Your profile states nothing about high school graduation or if you have had any trouble with Mr. Policeman/Woman? If you are a qualified female applicant I can see no reason why you would be rejected. I saw a post on Leatherneck that the age limit for woman is 32? I have not verified that. You might want to check into that Jill. If you aren't getting satisfactory results from your recruiter maybe you should ask it a different way? None of use were there when you went in. Research here and other forums for better preperation and ask the recruiter again.

Good luck
    Gunny out

GySgtRet hit the nail on the head. It is called a MISSION and not Quota. I am currently attached to an RS (Recruiting Station) and AD shipping has slowed a lot. Grads are being pushed out until the end of the year. Budget cuts from the new administration are forcing that issue. This has nothing to do with a Recruiter making his/her AD mission...

Gunz out ~

Thread Information