I know I wasn't the only one there
Create Post

I know I wasn't the only one there

Lets hear from all my Devil Dawgs that were there. There has to be a few stories from this action???

I was in Somalia too, with 3/9.

Yes sir! I was there in 93. I was back at pendleton at Recon co 5th Marines when we got the news that one of our platoons on the MEU was inserted and then we saw our guys on the news patrolling. Our company ended up being attached to RCT 5 if I recall correctly (7th Marines) under then Col Bedard (Bulldog). We had teams all over the place (Stadium, Embassy, Old Port, Dijbouti, Bedot (sp?)) I spent most my time at the soccer stadium and the embassy since I was a support person and not a (0321/8654) with any of the teams. I recall my first day heading over to the stadium (5th day in country, 1st few days to climatize) when someone took a couple shots, so we were all on edge....until we pulled up to the front gate where there were two Marines dragging a dead skinny in. They told us the guy was jumping up and down (there was a wall that stood about 5 ft tall all the way around the complex) threatening the Marines with a gun saying he was going to kill them and on the third or fourth jump when he pointed the gun towards them...one of the devildogs sent a burst. Welcome to Somalia I thought to myself. I spent the next few months there experiencing a lot of situations, so I might have to continue posting just to get it on paper!

I was there with 1/7. I was TAD to "Suicide Charley" as the Company RO. RIP LCpl Botello. Does anyone remember the picture that one of the Marines drew and all the handprints that were signed on the wall in the Stadium?

My hooch was around the corner from the aid station (main gate) when I woke up to a lot of craziness. I remember that night when botello was brought in. The doctor did everything he could....the chaplain bawling like a kid trying to read him his last rights. Lots of anger the next day I remember. RIP Marine. I heard they named a school after him. Its been a long time so it could've been Arroyo?

I was with HQ Co, 7th and I remember seeing your wall. I was detached from my platoon and attached to the Army of Pakistan at the former University of Mogadishu.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Welcome Home Guys GodBless Ya Semper Fi

I was there with STA Plt, BLT 2/5, 11th MEU SOC, '94.

I went over early Dec 92 with 9thCommBn as part of Gen Johnston's JTF Force. Later became the Acting SgtMaj 1stSRIG.

Welcome aboard SgtMaj.

Nice to see a Sgt.Maj. on board.

Thanks, love to stay in touch.

1/9 with 13th MEU 93-94

Thread Information