Poolie Son wants Recon - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    as many have said before ma'am, your son might really want to consider switching to an 03**, MOS. It will be alot easier to get into the BRC. Or really his best option would be to try and get a contract UZ, thats what I have right now, so i know that im gareented a shot. He also needs to run and swim, AT LEAST 3 times every week. tell him to try the "run, swim, run" program. run 2 miles, swim 1000m, then run 2 miles again. It has worked wonders for me.

First thing he needs to do is complete Boot Camp.

Well, he talked to his recruiter and he is definately going infantry. His recruiter suggested not going with the UZ contract because he will be up against seasoned Marines. He feels like it would be better if he spent some time in infantry before trying for recon.

Yes Old Marine, first he must get through boot camp. And so must Mama!! I think he will do better that I will!!!

The physical part of boot camp is easy. It's the mental part that is the problem.

Good to hear that you guys are getting locked on, ma'am. I'd suggest he take the UZ contract anyway if he really wants recon. That way he gets a shot after SOI if he's met the requirements.

If he doesn't make it through the Indoc or BRC he'll revert to a UH contract and be assigned to an Infantry unit. I haven't found any regs that say he can't try again if he doesn't make it through the first time.

He is definately physically prepared. He's been in DEP for almost a year now so he works out weekly with the recruiters and more on his own. The recruiters all tell me that he will do fine and that makes me feel better!! Is making mama's feel better part of their job? They sure do it well!!

Thanks NoRemorse. I'll let him know. I've told him about this site and I know he has spent some time on here but probably not enough. I think he would benefit so much from talking to you all directly instead of me telling him what you say.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well, it is not really the job of the recruiter to make moms feel better - but they are honest with you.

Just remember, this is your child's choice - and you job is to support that choice.Best advice I can give you for getting through his boot time is to write, write, write - send funny cards, clips from the local paper - he needs it a lot and you feel better doing it.

On no condition send food! Nada, never, do not do it. Not unless you want to hear the story about how he had to eat every item in the bos in 30 seconds or less.

Just wait until you see him cross the Parade Deck at graduation - remember how you felt when you saw him for the first time after he was born? This feeling almost as good as that one, trust me.

Thanks Marinemom. I am crazy about all of the recuiters in our are that I know well. We have a few new ones but I'm sure I'll get to know them too. It feels really good to know that I have someone to call when I have a question or concers. The head recruiter in our area told me I could call him before I get my son's address and he will give it to me. They all seem to be willing to do anything necessary to make things easier for the entire family while always being straight with us.

Quote Originally Posted by marinemom View Post
    On no condition send food! Nada, never, do not do it. Not unless you want to hear the story about how he had to eat every item in the bos in 30 seconds or less.
    I disagree. Send him food. If nothing else, it will make for a great story later! Oh, and he's not going to get hurt or anything like that if his mother sends him food in the mail. If anything he'll get stronger, from all the pushups he's going to do.

Honestly though, thinking back to my boot camp, I found it funny when people got food in the mail. One recruit received candy every single week. I think his friends sent it on purpose. They played games with him, and made him do stupid stuff, but in the end some of the candy sometimes got distributed to the platoon, because they always sent enough for everyone. We only got candy maybe three times in boot camp, but I think every single time was because of him.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by LHMHMOM View Post
    Well, he talked to his recruiter and he is definately going infantry. His recruiter suggested not going with the UZ contract because he will be up against seasoned Marines. He feels like it would be better if he spent some time in infantry before trying for recon.

Yes Old Marine, first he must get through boot camp. And so must Mama!! I think he will do better that I will!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Your son can do it, if he wants it bad enough and trains hard enough for many months BEFORE shipping to Boot Camp!

My 19 year-old son just shipped to Boot Camp (9) days ago with a MOS 0321 UZ contract......

Although very athletic, he still trained HARD for (4) solid months prior to shipping-out.....4-5 miles daily running.....1,000-1,500 yards daily swimming in FULL CAMMIES.....100-125 pull-ups, sit-ups and weight-training every other day.....

A few days before he shipped, we ran a final PFT.....21 pull-ups, 107 sit-ups in 2:00 minutes and a 19:45 3-mile run.....that's a 289 PFT score.....

Also, he swims the 500 meters (breast and side-stroke only is allowed at BRC) wearing full cammies in 13:15 minutes (BRC requirement is 17:00 minutes or less).....

He can tread water in full cammies for well over an hour, then he gets bored (only 30 minutes of water-tread required at BRC)....

Under-water swim holding breath for 25meters is no problem.....

Perhaps most importantly....he never...ever.....no matter what....QUITS!!!!

I would also suggest that some of you older Marines not be so discouraging and insulting to the poolee's when they ask about Recon!

Yes, I know...you get tired of the umpteen jillion Poolee threads with Recon and Scout/Sniper questions.....I've read 'em all, too.... and they can wear you out!

While it's true that 90% of these wannabe's will never actually try-out for Recon (and most who do try-out won't make it), there are some Poolee's(like my son), who HAVE prepared.....who ARE serious.....who have already achieved the physical ability to make it......

These guys deserve to be supported and encouraged by all of us!

(On the other hand, telling my son he "probably can't do something" has always been more MOTIVATING to him than anything else!"

Long live USMC Reconnaissance.....truly the "best of the best"!!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement MotoDad. My son has decided to take the advice of his recruiter and go infantry with out the UZ for now. He will spend some time in infantry and after about a year try out for recon. I think it's probably better that he wait on trying out for recon because he needs to make sure it's what he wants.

Good luck to your son in boot camp and beyond!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by LHMHMOM View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement MotoDad. My son has decided to take the advice of his recruiter and go infantry with out the UZ for now. He will spend some time in infantry and after about a year try out for recon. I think it's probably better that he wait on trying out for recon because he needs to make sure it's what he wants.

Good luck to your son in boot camp and beyond!!!
    LHMHMOM,

That sounds like a great plan for your son, particularly if he isn't totally sure about Recon just yet......

Thanks a bunch and my best wishs for your son's USMC career!!

Thread Information