College couldnt give me an answer
Create Post
    Convulsive
    Guest Free Member

College couldnt give me an answer

Now, I'm a little new to college and recently found out a D is just about as good as an F when it comes to your classes, which sucks because I happened to get a D in 2 classes. I'm of course trying to get 15 college credits to graduate PFC out of Boot. Anyway, what they told me was I'll get my credits but not be able to use them for anything? WTF? I asked them if the Marines would accept it and they couldn't give me a straight answer. So I guess I have college credits but in the grand scheme of things I don't. I'm totally lost at this point and if any of you know the answer to this it would be very appreciated.

Brian

take a summer course or two. try hard. get above a D. and ask your recruiter

Probably just like most Colleges. You need a C or better for it to transfer.

Convulsive
    Guest Free Member
    Crap, that's what i was afraid of. I asked my recruiter he said Marines SHOULD accept it but he had to look into it.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Convulsive View Post
    Now, I'm a little new to college and recently found out a D is just about as good as an F when it comes to your classes, which sucks because I happened to get a D in 2 classes. I'm of course trying to get 15 college credits to graduate PFC out of Boot. Anyway, what they told me was I'll get my credits but not be able to use them for anything? WTF? I asked them if the Marines would accept it and they couldn't give me a straight answer. So I guess I have college credits but in the grand scheme of things I don't. I'm totally lost at this point and if any of you know the answer to this it would be very appreciated.

Brian
    If I remember correctly, when I was in college they wouldn't use them for anything either. You will get the credit because you basically paid for the classes. But it wont show up in your GPA becasue it is a D. I got a D in my first semester in college, and I got the credit but didn't help my GPA. The following semester I used something we had called Freshman Forgiveness. I took the class over again the next semester and got a high C. So they replaced the D with the C. See if your college has something similar. The downside to it is, you will have to pay for the class again. But it's worth it, if you get a better grade... Hope this helps.

you need 15 credits and a 2.3 or so gpa, 2.0 at least.

If you paid for the class, and you are receiving "credits" for taking the class, then yes it will work. Look at your total number of accumulated hours. If it is 15 or more, it will work. If not, take summer courses. It doesn't matter if it counts towards your GPA or not, as long as your final GPA is in fact over 2.0.

When I came into the Corps, I had D's on my record, and the credits for the classes still counted.

All you need is a copy of your official transcript from your college. The grades on there won't matter (except for solid F's) as long as you have the GPA and the credits.

Either way, if you're getting a D, you may be biting off more than you can chew, might have to lower your class load. My class ends on 5/22 and I'm pretty sure I'll get a B, but who doesn't get that on Health 101.

Best of luck.

Marine Spouse Free Member mdb0227's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I am a senior in college, in Texas, and here I have made 3 "D's" in my college career(it was during my first year of college) but they transfered to the University that I am at now, no problem. A "D" is technically not failing so it counts, but like Kpuente said up there, it certainly doesn't help your GPA. I agree with taking a couple of summer classes you know you will make a good grade in. But you shouldn't have an issue with transfering a "D" or a couple "D's"

M.

Convulsive
    Guest Free Member
    This helps a lot guys, thanks. I have a good understanding on what I'll have to do, take summer classes and get dam good grades in them haha.

Thread Information