Impostor who shadowed Dallas police now eludes them
Create Post

Exclamation Impostor who shadowed Dallas police now eludes them

Impostor who shadowed Dallas police now eludes them

12:13 PM CDT on Monday, May 4, 2009

By TANYA EISERER / The Dallas Morning News
    teiserer@dallasnews.com

A man who duped Dallas police by pretending he was a military officer as he helped them answer calls and make arrests may have fled the state.

As recently as a few weeks ago, Ryan Caskey, 22, was so comfortable in the presence of officers that he was even seen at the North Central Division police station chatting with rookie officers and bragging about how they were going to bust drug houses.

Authorities have obtained a warrant accusing Caskey of impersonating a public servant, a third-degree felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine, police said. He did not respond to an e-mail request for comment.

"We're still looking for him," said Lt. Michael Levi, who oversees the swindle squad. "I know we're going to get him eventually."

Authorities think he might have fled the state for California. His car was found last week at Dallas Love Field, police said, and they've confirmed that he took a plane flight shortly after a patrol supervisor who got suspicious about his activities questioned him.

That occurred on the night of April 23, when the supervisor encountered Caskey on a police call in Far North Dallas and began to suspect that he was not a real officer. During that call, Caskey reportedly drew his gun as he kicked in an apartment door with a rookie officer.

There have been no reported sightings of Caskey since that night.

Police officials say he apparently wormed his way into the company of officers after befriending a police officer who lived in the same apartment complex that he did. Police believe he answered calls with officers over about a two-week period.

Caskey, who does not appear to have a prior criminal history, wore a bulletproof vest and carried a U.S. Marine military police badge and a Glock handgun. He claimed to be a military police officer attached to an FBI task force. He followed officers in his black Crown Victoria with red and blue flashing lights in the dashboard.

Authorities said he fancied himself as a police aficionado who often said he worked undercover for the government. In one encounter with Arlington police, he claimed to be on an anti-terrorism task force.

In January 2008, the California native applied to the Richardson Police Department. He passed its civil service test but failed to complete the process, according to Sgt. Kevin Perlich, a police spokesman.

At that time, he stated he'd attended defensive shooting classes and had been an emergency medical technician. He listed his employer as a home health care company where he said he was a health care supervisor overseeing four other employees.

"I am tired of seeing good, outstanding citizens taken advantage of by criminals," he wrote in an essay explaining why he wanted to be a Richardson police officer. "I will do everything in my power to help clean up the streets, improve people's lives and maintain law and order."

On his Facebook page, he listed himself as a being a Republican and a "Missionary Baptist" and states that his favorite book is "The Bible. Period."

Two people who knew him and asked that their names not be used said he spoke about being a military sniper and serving in the Iraq war.

Neither of those claims is true, according to military records.

"He was always saying he was doing something that was kind of unbelievable," said one of the men, who met him at church. "He was always one of those guys that showed up at parties and bragged about himself too much."

The other man, who said he met him at a Super Bowl party, said Caskey claimed he'd served three tours in Iraq and showed them scars that he said were war wounds.

"He also told us about his time in the FBI, where he quit due to being in trouble over 'roughing up a suspect,' " the man said. "He also claimed that since he had moved to Dallas, he had been involved in three shootings, due to the fact that 'when he saw trouble, he ran towards it, while most people ran away.' "

According to U.S. Marine Corps officials, Caskey was on active duty from June to December 2005. He was then a reservist until September 2006, when he was discharged.

Military officials said they could not discuss the nature of his discharge, but he was originally supposed to have served until 2013.

He was trained as a machine gunner, but never served in Iraq, and wasnever a sniper, the Marines said.

He was awarded the National Defense Service Medal, which is currently being given to anyone who serves in the military during time of war; and the Navy Marine Corps Commendation Medal, an award for heroic or meritorious service.

Dallas police officials said Caskey served in the military with one of their officers.

In a March 21 encounter with Arlington police officers, Caskey intervened to help a woman who had gotten sick at a bowling alley.

"Ryan Caskey had carried her into the kitchen area from the dance floor," said Lt. Blake Miller, a police spokesman. He said patrons had come outside and asked Arlington officers to come inside and help assist an "officer," who turned out to be Caskey.

Miller said Caskey spoke to an Arlington police sergeant, telling him he was a Marine attached to a federal task force.

After Caskey left the bowling alley, he encountered a motorcycle accident on the frontage road of Interstate 20 and stopped to help out. Officers noticed that he had a black Crown Victoria, a car commonly driven by police officers, with "all the bells and whistles," Miller said.

"One of the officers was like, 'There he is again,' " Miller said.

Ellie

UPDATE: Accused police imposter Ryan Caskey likely in California
    1:15 PM Mon, May 04, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
    Tanya Eiserer/Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

I just learned that last week police found Ryan Caskey's Crown Victoria at Love Field airport.

Authorities were also have been able to determine that he did, indeed, take a flight to California, his native state.

One thing I forgot to mention in the earlier post is that military officials also told me that he trained as a machine gunner.

Original post: 10:57 AM Mon, May 04, 2009

I just got word from U.S. Marine officials that accused police imposter Ryan Caskey was not a sniper and did not serve in the Iraq war as those who knew him have said that he claimed.

In today's story, I told you that authorities think he's fled the state and about Caskey's application to the Richardson Police Department.

Here's a copy of his handwritten letter: Caskey letter.pdf

According to Marine officials, Caskey was active duty from June to December 2005. He was then a reservist from then until September 2006, when he was discharged.

Military officials said they could not release the nature of his discharge, but he was originally supposed to have served until 2013. What they did tell me was that it is unusual for the military to release a person from their term of service early.

During his time in the Marines, he received the National Defense Service Medal, which is currently being given to anyone who serves in the military during time of war.

He also received the Navy Marine Corps Commendation Medal, which is an award given for heroic or meritorious service.

If anyone knows about any other information about Caskey or has information about any other Dallas police-related stories, feel free to contact me at teiserer@dallasnews.com.

Ellie

Thread Information