Family
Create Post

Thread: Family

Family

It's the question that most marines face or the the thing that keeps some people from joining. Family. So far, like many others, no one has seem too supportive of my decision to join the marines. But that's not my real problem. My (future) family and my current fiance is the most important thing to me. I don't want to be a father that is only there 6 months out of the year and miss out on my family. I'd rather do nothing and spend my life with my family, then do something I love and never see them. I just don't think I'd be able to put them through that kind of life style. I know they can live on base with you but I also know you're subject to moving all over the country and world thus keeping you from seeing your family. I don't want to be a recruit, I want to work my way to an officer. I know you only have to serve for some 25 years too and some people were saying "just wait until you're done." But I really don't want to be 45 to start a family. So basically my question is, is family life hard as a marine? Do you really miss out on a lot? My uncle is only in the reserves and he's missed more then 80% of his kids life including his graduation. I really don't want that.

Quote Originally Posted by undecided View Post
    It's the question that most marines face or the the thing that keeps some people from joining. Family. So far, like many others, no one has seem too supportive of my decision to join the marines. But that's not my real problem. My (future) family and my current fiance is the most important thing to me. I don't want to be a father that is only there 6 months out of the year and miss out on my family. I'd rather do nothing and spend my life with my family, then do something I love and never see them. I just don't think I'd be able to put them through that kind of life style. I know they can live on base with you but I also know you're subject to moving all over the country and world thus keeping you from seeing your family. I don't want to be a recruit, I want to work my way to an officer. I know you only have to serve for some 25 years too and some people were saying "just wait until you're done." But I really don't want to be 45 to start a family. So basically my question is, is family life hard as a marine? Do you really miss out on a lot? My uncle is only in the reserves and he's missed more then 80% of his kids life including his graduation. I really don't want that.
    By the looks of your post it sounds as if you are talking yourself out of it already. I dont think you've really got what it takes. And what do you mean by you dont want to be a recruit? The Marine Corps makes you earn every title you get and it starts with recruit. I'm going to quote a great Marine here for you, "Jee Sus Ach Fu Cki Ng Kee Rist!!"

Thread Information