Confusion about the PLC Program
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confusion about the PLC Program

I've read the sticky and searched for info but I'm still a bit confused about the PLC that I've signed up for.

I have 1 semester of college completed before I quit because I couldn't afford it.. I DEP'd in as a reservist through the PLC program and what I was told is:

1. I was told to have a college acceptance letter before I leave 2009June22 for MCRDSD, I'm working on that now..
    2. Upon potential completion of recruit training I would have 10 days of leave then proceed to MCT.
    3. I would begin college after MCT, spending one weekend per month training for my MOS with my reserve unit and maintaining a 2.0 or higher GPA until my sophomore/junior summer where I would go to OCS
    4. I was told that I will not have to go to my MOS school since I would be attending college instead
    5. After potential, successful completion of OCS that summer i would continue my schooling and reservist training until i graduate and be commisioned

Does all of this sound correct?

If you have not talked to the local OSO, then you are not in the PLC. It sounds like you are on a split program (92 day). Which means you go to Recruit training then go to MCT the following summer. (You could possibly go after Recruit training). The reason for the acceptance letter is to have you back prior to the start of college. You would go to OCS after your sophmore(I believe it is 6 weeks) and after your junior year(Which is either 4 or 6 weeks). After you get your degree you would be commissioned. Then go to the Basis course. I believe you can drill all the way through. This is a very good program.

Something isn't quite right here. PLC's don't go to boot camp; they go to OCS. Sounds like you may have signed a reserve contract, and the recruiter told you you can apply to PLC later (after you start college). Is that true?

You can apply for PLC without any form of prior enlisted experience.

Quote Originally Posted by stein07 View Post
    Something isn't quite right here. PLC's don't go to boot camp; they go to OCS. Sounds like you may have signed a reserve contract, and the recruiter told you you can apply to PLC later.
    yeah, I think that's what I'm doing actually. do i have to apply for anything that pays for my college or is that just a benefit of graduating basic training?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm doing PLC, in fact I'm going for Juniors this summer and I have to agree that something does not sound right. I can tell you that we do not go to San Diago, or Parris Island, we go to OCS in Quantico, VA just as the Corporal said.

Other then that you do have to maintain a certain GPA through school, off the top of my head I'm not sure what it is becuase it's not a concern of mine, but I would be amazed if it is only a 2.0.

After you complete OCS you do have to go to "MOS school" which is actually TBS, The Basic School. That's where you go after you request orders and accept the commission, for how long depends on what MOS you are assigned. Only the three top three graduates from OCS get to chose which MOS they want. Everyone else gets to make three picks but what they are assigned to is mainly based on the needs of the Corps.

I would talk to your recuiter ASAP and square away what program you are acutally doing. Any enlisted personnel can go through OCS if they choose so he could have been talking about an option for you down the road.

This is your future, I would get into his office ASAP, put your pride aside, admit your confusion and ask your questions. Better sooner then later.

Quote Originally Posted by meallen07 View Post

After you complete OCS you do have to go to "MOS school" which is actually TBS, The Basic School. That's where you go after you request orders and accept the commission, for how long depends on what MOS you are assigned. Only the three top three graduates from OCS get to chose which MOS they want. Everyone else gets to make three picks but what they are assigned to is mainly based on the needs of the Corps.
    No.

TBS isn't actually an MOS school, it's a finishing school where officers learn basic infantry tactics, gain their M16, M9 quals, and a whole lot of other stuff that's not covered at OCS. After TBS you then go to your MOS school.

For PLC's, it's selected based on your TBS rank, NOT OCS. and they way it's chosen is your TBS class is divided up into 3 sections. 1st person in the first section gets to pick, followed by 1st in 2nd, 1st in 3rd, then it goes onto 2nd in 1st, 2nd in 2nd, 2nd in 3rd. And so on, all the way down the line.

You make a wish list and then your pick, which is when Instructors can actually change your pick based on needs of the Corps, and whether they think it's a right fit (I've heard theyre pretty good at this)

For OCC's (people already graduated), you get a Ground, Air or Law Contract and your MOS is determined, at least for Air, on your performance at AIP (the flight indoctrination program), among other things

Once again, The Basic school is NOT an officer's MOS school and your job is selected based on your rank at TBS not OCS. OCS is just a screening program to make sure you have what it takes to lead Marines.

To the Original Poster, read Capt. Nate Fick's "One Bullet Away" or atleast first section, it gives a first hand account to this process.

OR

you can go to marineocs.com, there is A LOT of information on this whole process there.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It doesn't matter if you are PLC or OCC, everyone gets a Law, Air, or Ground contract. At TBS, ground contracts compete for a MOS and it is all based on needs of the Corps. You get to make a wish list of all the jobs available to you but it's just a wish list. OCS has no impact on what MOS you get at all. Like the previous poster said, OCS is a screening process. And, at MOS selection time, the company is divided in to thirds and the 1st person is the top third goes, and then the 1st person in the second third goes, and so on. This ensures a quality spread of Lieutenants in different jobs.

Marineocs.com has a lot of information if you are still confused, OP. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sorry for sharing some incorrect information.

I second the recommendation to read "One Bullet Away" though. I read it in about a week it was incredable.

The website is also great, it has more material then anyone will be able to tell you, I should have just set Zues there to begin with.

Thank you cfinsh189 for setting me straight.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by meallen07 View Post
    I'm doing PLC, in fact I'm going for Juniors this summer and I have to agree that something does not sound right. I can tell you that we do not go to San Diago, or Parris Island, we go to OCS in Quantico, VA just as the Corporal said.

Other then that you do have to maintain a certain GPA through school, off the top of my head I'm not sure what it is becuase it's not a concern of mine, but I would be amazed if it is only a 2.0.

I would talk to your recuiter ASAP and square away what program you are acutally doing. Any enlisted personnel can go through OCS if they choose so he could have been talking about an option for you down the road.

This is your future, I would get into his office ASAP, put your pride aside, admit your confusion and ask your questions. Better sooner then later.
    You are correct, you have to maintain a 2.0 GPA or you will not be accepted or get kicked out of the program if you have already been kicked out of the program.

You also don't request orders and accept your commission at TBS. When you get to TBS you are already commissioned and received your orders. Orders and commissioning occur before TBS.

Enlisted personnel have to apply to OCS just like everyone else. Just because you are prior enlisted does not mean that you are guaranteed acceptance. The 'whole person' is taken in to account. GPA, LORs, PFT score, waivers, everything.

Best of luck to you.

The top 3 graduates from OCS don't get to choose their MOS. Everyone else does not make a list of 3 MOSs. They make a list of all MOSs in a wish list and then are assigned a job based on needs of the Corps.

thanks for all the info.

So signing the reserve contract was just to have time to start college and apply to the PLC program? I don't want to be a reservist my whole career, I've never wanted more than to be an officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zues View Post
    thanks for all the info.

So signing the reserve contract was just to have time to start college and apply to the PLC program? I don't want to be a reservist my whole career, I've never wanted more than to be an officer.

If that's the case, then you should have just gone through college and done PLC.

There is a possible chance that you may not accepted for Quantico, for whatever reason. Or, you get accepted, and get NPQ'd or separated due to failures. For whatever reason, if you do not graduate from OCS, you are still obliged to finish your enlisted contract

I can't go regular from reservist?

Quote Originally Posted by Zues View Post
    I can't go regular from reservist?
    From what I've heard, no.

It is possible to switch from reserve to active. A Marine I know did it, I don't know the circumstances or how he did it, but I assume it's not the easiest thing.

Bottom line, again, is if you all you want to do is be an officer, just go to PLC, don't enlist. If you have no intentions of serving in the enlisted side for 4-6 years, get out of that contract you signed.

Thread Information