Do you have to roll sleeves?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you have to roll sleeves?

Hello,
    I have noticed around MCAS New River, that lots of Marines don't roll their sleeves. I always was under the assumption that you had to roll your sleeves if you were not in the field during the summer season. Is there a MCO stating the sleeve regulations?
    Most of the people I see not rolling their sleeves are SSgts, and it makes me laugh every time I get yelled at for not wearing a blouse outside by a SSgt with his sleeves unrolled.
    Would the unrolled sleeves have anything to do with aircraft maintenance? I know we have coveralls issued to use for that.

My question is many times have you been yelled at for not wearing your blouse and how many is enough to teach you to wear your blouse? My next question is why are you asking us? Just ask one of them.

It was one time for me, once for my room mate, and we were standing outside of our barracks room. I'm going to ask them tomorrow, I was hoping to find out tonight though.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There is a general seasonal directive for service "C" or service "B" as the uninform of the day. Sleeves up sleeves down goes along with that. It is at the base commanders discretion exactly when it goes from one to the other and is mostly based on climate. You would have to look up a base directive on what the uniform of the day is. Ask the unit diary clerk if it is that important for you to know.

Unit has to be pretty effed up if nobody knows whether to wear their sleeves up or down.

Lastly if you are on working party you can take your blouse off but you need to have it handy to put back on when you are done. If a SSgt comes and orders you to put you blouse on then do so most rickey tick and if you have heartburn with that then use your chain of command.

Not only that but is this a one time thing or something you see all the time? They may have been returning from the field (I normally didn't roll my sleeves unitl the day after I returned from the field) or they may have returned from the rifle range. If you don't think that's the answer then by all means ask them. Just make sure you ask them the right way. You don't want to come off as some prick azz LCpl accusing him of being a hypocrit.

I am going out on a limb here, but I think maybe possibly if they are on a flight line they need to wear blouses with sleeves down.... it's a possibility.

look, it's over your head... the great thing about your rank is just having to do what you are told... no stress to get stuff done so long as you do what you're told... the higher up you get the more time management you get but the more you get yelled at when a junior Marine doesn't do his job... or what he's told....

basically, just shut up and do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    I am going out on a limb here, but I think maybe possibly if they are on a flight line they need to wear blouses with sleeves down.... it's a possibility.

look, it's over your head... the great thing about your rank is just having to do what you are told... no stress to get stuff done so long as you do what you're told... the higher up you get the more time management you get but the more you get yelled at when a junior Marine doesn't do his job... or what he's told....

basically, just shut up and do it.

Credits
    Savings
    I can depend on the base. In Twentynine Palms, I think there was a 3 year period where I didn't roll sleeves because that was the base order. I was told the intent was to minimize UV exposure because of the environment we were in. It wasn't until 2007 or 2008 when the Marine Corps stated that everyone wore woodland or desert with sleeves up or down according to a certain date that we had to roll sleeves in 29. But a few months later we got the exemption to go sleeves down again.

I'll be damned if anyone is going to yell at me for not having a blouse on outside my barracks room. Thats one of those situations when you say good to go and just keep doing what you're doing. What's he going to do? Fire you? lol Unless you're actually working or doing something at your barracks room for work, I'd keep it off and let him get all riled up. He can't do **** about it.

if I felt I was disrespected by your reply I'd know which room you're in and barracks, track down your command and charge you.

'course I'd have a serious bug up my ass in order to do that... if it was my battalions barracks I'd just have to have a bad day to do that.

I said it before Achped... you never know who these people are that you are ****ing off... treat every weapon as if it were loaded, yut.

besides, the barracks is one of those places where uniform regs become laxed, 'cause if that weren't the case I'd be hit soooo many times for drinking in uniform I'd still be a private. hahaha.

Well see, thats why I didn't wanna really go there with this one SSgt because technically maybe he would be out of regs and it'd be legit to tell him to put a blouse on. But there are other situations that are just stupid. This one is borderline. I'm never disrespectful, I would never ever even think of saying anything like "**** off man" to even a Sgt. HEll I wouldn't even go so far as to say "No". I wouldn't even argue. But if I'm outside my barracks room and a SNCO tells me to put my blouse on, and I'm off work I can't say that I'll just run in my room and put it on.

as I said, I agree... I suppose we're using a bad example here.

to tell a senior Marine they are wrong you need good evidence of that or you will

a) be corrected in a manner of which you regretted correcting them
    b) ignored
    c)be told you're an idiot
    d) all of the above

so, um... yeah... I understand there are situations that dictate and every Marine should play it by ear as it is better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission (a lot less talking).

Credits
    Savings
    Ok, help me here.

You live in a barracks.

If you leave your 'room', you gotta have your blouse on?

Is that a rule?

Are you not expected, as a Marine, as an NCO, to follow the rules?

If you do not follow the rules, can you not be punished?

At LTA (RIP, LTA, MCAF Santa Ana) we had cubicles. 4 to a cubicle. Cpl's were 2 to a cubicle and Sgt's had a private cubicle. The walls were ~6' high with about a foot of open space above the deck. We did not have to wear a blouse inside. Outside was a different story.

Bottom line, times change but following the rules and obeying orders is a given. To not do so is disobedience and deserves punishment.

Yup. Guess that spotless record of mine shows how much of a turd I am huh?

Thread Information