FAFSA, Veteran Status
Create Post

FAFSA, Veteran Status

as a reservist, my NCOIC told me i was allowed to claim myself as a veteran on fafsa. i did so, and my school is asking for a member 4 copy of my dd214.
    still being a current, drilling reservist would i even have a member 4 copy? i have a member 1 copy, and i submitted that, but my financial aid office is asking for a member four copy.

on of my buddies at my unit who is a 92 day reservist apparently did the same thing, but his office didnt ask for the member four copy.

is what i did illegal?

Not illegal, but you should have Member 4 copy, expecially if you have member 1 copy. Member 4 is the long form, that has RE code, Character of Service, and Reason for Seperation.

Quote Originally Posted by ehyun55 View Post
    as a reservist, my NCOIC told me i was allowed to claim myself as a veteran on fafsa. i did so, and my school is asking for a member 4 copy of my dd214.
    still being a current, drilling reservist would i even have a member 4 copy? i have a member 1 copy, and i submitted that, but my financial aid office is asking for a member four copy.

on of my buddies at my unit who is a 92 day reservist apparently did the same thing, but his office didnt ask for the member four copy.

is what i did illegal?
    I've claimed Veteran status on a FAFSA and they never asked for proof, that sounds odd? Although, now that I think about my school has my 214 from when I was using the GI bill. So maybe that is why, but it still seems odd that they would ask.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtop View Post
    Not illegal, but you should have Member 4 copy, expecially if you have member 1 copy. Member 4 is the long form, that has RE code, Character of Service, and Reason for Seperation.
    I assume that they are asking for the long form because they are trying to confirm character of service and/ or RE code since you're applying for government financial aid???

yeah, its weird. my VA office should just be able to tell them that i am receiving veteran benefits.

i have the member 1 copy, and thats the form i got after i go out from active duty training before i headed into the reserves. but i never got a member 4 copy

btw i just submitted my Sf180 form. Does anyone know how long that usually takes to get back?

Have you looked for a copy in your SRB? It should be there. If it is, have admin make a copy, then have a commissioned officer certify it true. That should placate the financial aid people.

Thread Information