Poolee with MOS Reconnaissance Man UZ 0321
Create Post

Question Poolee with MOS Reconnaissance Man UZ 0321

I haven't been to boot camp yet and my MOS is Recon. I have been told different things by different people about what will happen with this MOS. I know that I will go in as infantry, but what happens from there? Also, what are some good exercises to do to get ready for boot camp in three months and to get ready for whatever happens with Recon training whenever it is. I have been trying to swim more because I've been told to do it by a few people.

Thanks.

Having recon in your contract just means you'll get to try out for it at SOI. It's not a guarantee you'll get in. I'd do a search as well, they've covered this here at least once a week.

With the Recon contract UZ... You are granted a seat at BRC... Basic Recon Course.

There are a few things you need to be doing... Swimming distance, Running, and Pull Ups...

The track for 0321 is Boot Camp, SOI, then BRC...

There are some things you will need to accomplish during Boot Camp in order to fill your seat at BRC... One is you MUST qualify Expert with the rifle. If you come up short, you won't be going to BRC. You MUST have a 285 or higher PFT score... Any less and you won't be going to BRC. You MUST qualify at Swim Qual 1 at Boot Camp... if you can't make it in the pool, you won't be going to BRC.

These are the facts... Get these things done, and your school seat at BRC will be waiting for you. If you don't make the grade leading up to BRC you will become one of the available 03xx MOS's during SOI.

If you drop from BRC, and more that half of your class will... you will become an 0311.

My Nephew joined the Corps last year with the UZ contract, and is now with 3rd Force Recon Company in Okinawa, Japan. If you graduate at the top of your BRC class you may be selected for Force Recon, as he was.

Best of Luck...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Try as I may I can't find anywhere the requirement of a 285 or higher on the PFT. It would definitely help if you are up there but not a disqualifier if you are not. Maybe one of the FNG's can straighten me out on the boot camp swim qual but I'm under the impression that now days recruits don't even get the chance for 1st class and the highest they can go is second during boot camp. Expert with a rifle is indeed mandatory.

Check out this site ... http://www.forcerecon.com/reconfaq.htm

I stand corrected. My apologies.

Without the 285 PFT you are NOT qualified for BRC... End of story.

I am speaking from recent experience here trying to help you out.

My Nephew has just completed the track you are about to take, and he is now a Force Recon Operator... With the UZ contract you will be afforded the opportunity for the advance swim qual at Boot Camp. If you fail you will not be attending BRC.

My Nephew's BRC class started with 72 and graduted 30 Marines and 2 Corpsman.

Students were being dropped for all sorts of reasons... a common one was limited pull-ups... If you can't do more 15 pull-ups... you are in the wrong MOS.

My Nephew was able to perform 38 Dead Hangs... and every member of the graduating class could achieve more than 25...

Recon is not for everyone... they are held to a higher physical standard than
    the rest of us.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone setting out to become a Recon Marine, just giving you the straight scoop.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The old saying you can lead a horse to water applys here.

I went ahead and copy pasted from the link I had provided.

I'm thinking about joining the Marine Corps. How do I become a Recon Marine?

The Recon enlistment option is designated UZ. The best chance of getting into Recon is to enlist with a UZ enlistment option contract. This enlistment option guarantees the enlistee the chance at getting into Recon.
    Qualifications for this enlistment option include (but may not be limited to):
    • A GT of 105 or higher
    • No moral waivers
    • No drug waivers
    • Eyesight correctable to 20/20
    • Not colorblind
    • The ability to obtain a secret clearance
    The UZ enlistment option is available by quota. If the quota has been reached, a recruiter may not be able to offer the UZ option to an enlistee until the next quota period.
    In addition to the requirements above, the applicant must:
    • Complete Boot Camp
    • 1st Class PFT
    • Score Expert in rifle qualification
    Upon graduation of Boot Camp the Marine will attend the School of Infantry (SOI).

After SOI, the Marine will attend the Basic Reconnaissance Course (BRC). After successful completion of this school the Marine will be assigned the Primary MOS of 0321 - Basic Reconnaissance Marine.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

This information on that site is provided by an active duty force recon Marine and is straight scoop.

The complete Boot Camp qualification is a good one...

Thanks for the information Bulkyker and jcarter73.

Thread Information