Chances of being in the same platoon?
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Chances of being in the same platoon?

Hey everybody.

I enlisted in the Marine Corps on April 1 of this year, along with a good friend of mine. We have the same ship date, which is 6 days from now (20110822). We were both under the impression, with information from several recruiters at our station, that we would be assigned to the same platoon, under the buddy system.

To us this was basically known to be true, until I received a letter from another friend of ours who is at RT right now, in San Diego. I wrote him asking for any survival tips he could give me to get through receiving and 1st phase. Upon getting the letter back from him, he wrote, among many other things, that my friend and I who enlisted together should not be surprised if we aren't assigned to the same platoon, because "they don't care about the 'buddy system' here."

Now, I plan to ask my recruiter about this in person in the next few days, but can anyone here please shed some light on this situation? Not being in the same platoon as my buddy would not be a deal breaker by any means, but it means a lot to both of us to go through this together. I know we'll be in the same company, since our date is the same, but we'd like to be together if possible.

Thanks to all of you, for everything.

Credits
    Savings

Mind over matter...........

You won't mind and it don't matter you will be way to busy to care he isn't in your platoon.
    But after boot, you might meet up again ? Hey I went in Aug.23,1968 and got out 8-22-70 almost the same as you ??? well maybe not ??

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by gkmoz View Post
    You won't mind and it don't matter you will be way to busy to care he isn't in your platoon.
    But after boot, you might meet up again ? Hey I went in Aug.23,1968 and got out 8-22-70 almost the same as you ??? well maybe not ??
    Thanks for the response, and you're probably right. Either way it'll be an experience.

I went on the buddy program, and we were in the same platoon. Of course this was PI,, where Marines are made.

There was another buddy program duo in our platoon that was also from Boston, and boy did our DI's have some fun with us. We did tag team beat downs, or should I say the DI's had us beat the snot out of each other any chance they could. Our DI's had lots of fun with the buddies from Boston -- but we all made it.

Two of us were squad leaders (me and my buddy) and one guy from the other duo was the guide.

Still talk to them all to this day via FB.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I went on the buddy program, and we were in the same platoon. Of course this was PI,, where Marines are made.

There was another buddy program duo in our platoon that was also from Boston, and boy did our DI's have some fun with us. We did tag team beat downs, or should I say the DI's had us beat the snot out of each other any chance they could. Our DI's had lots of fun with the buddies from Boston -- but we all made it.

Two of us were squad leaders (me and my buddy) and one guy from the other duo was the guide.

Still talk to them all to this day via FB.

That is completely epic. Totally cool that you still talk to those guys today. I want that haha.

The buddy system does work, but you can't assume that you are on the Buddy Program. When you and your friend arrive at MEPS on the day that you are going to leave, you need to tell the Marines there that you want to be on the Buddy Program. They will make certain notes on your paperwork that will go to San Diego with you.

You friend in Recruit Training now might not of done this and just assumed that since he was leaving with his friend he was good to go. That isn't the case and the Marines at MEPS need to know you intentions.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you SSgt, very helpful insight.

gkmoz is right, brother. I just went earlier this year and you are frantically busy from lights to taps. Later on you get about 20 minutes a day to relax and socialize, but really I wouldn't worry about it. You'll get a chance to spend time with them at MCT or ITB then, when you can actually relax.

The buddy system gets screwy when they assign platoons. they're supposed to keep you together but it just doesn't always work out that way.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I suggest you and your friend stay extremely close together once you get off that bus. I remember getting off the bus with the recruits from my station. The drill instructors counted a certain number and separated us and we split up.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The buddy system is wonderful...

I joined with a friend from my home town....

I did see him going up a stairwell while I was going down another stairwell...

I do believe we were in the same battalion

My experience....although it's likely evolved since my time.

It's been a few years but I went in on the buddy program (9/65) with my best friend.
    Once we got off the yellow footprints I rarely saw him let alone having any real conversation with him.
    We were not in the same quonset hut either.
    We got separated at ITR as I went to November company and I don't know where he ended up.
    Next time I saw him after boot camp he was passing through our LZ during Op Colorado with 5th Marines in August 1966.
    For those that get to yak with enlistment buddies during boot now that must be cool.

Carry on....

Quote Originally Posted by chulaivet1966 View Post
    For those that get to yak with enlistment buddies during boot now that must be cool.

Carry on....
    Lol...It's all bubble baths and champagne baby! Bubble baths and champagne. Don't forget to bring a couple of cigars to smoke after your first day of Recruit Training.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    Lol...It's all bubble baths and champagne baby! Bubble baths and champagne. Don't forget to bring a couple of cigars to smoke after your first day of Recruit Training.
    No sh!t....although, I did not mean to sound flip with my response
    I do recall having lots of time to be hungry and totally exhausted.

I was hoping someone would chime in with:
    "yea....we have margarita machines now for casual time at 16:00"
    Now THAT would be 'cool'.

Carry on....

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post

Now Swamp, that was just down right mean....you know the D.I. would smoke one and the maggot would eat the other

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    When I went through a few years ago, the most you'd have any ability to talk to someone is maybe a few minutes at a time. Just didn't really happen, everything going on. So, in the end, it doesn't really matter all in all seeing as you won't have that much time to do anything other then what they tell you.

Thread Information