Cover me in peace and war
Create Post

Exclamation Cover me in peace and war

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. —Through training, Marines learn the skills and techniques that will aid them in accomplishing their missions. When they deploy, Marines are given the weapons, armor and supplies they need. When Marines return home from deployment, it shouldn’t be any different.

Officers and senior enlisted personnel should look out for their Marines when they return home, just as they would in theater. This was the assessment of Marine Corps leadership’s role at the screening of the documentary “Cover Me,” here, April 23.

The film was produced by the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, a non-profit organization that has provided more than $29 million in assistance to Marines returning from Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom since 2004

“We quickly realized that Marines and sailors needed help,” said Karen Guenther, the founder of the Injured Marines Semper Fi Fund. “It started with $500 and took the form of care packages and supplies.”

Guenther started the fund at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif., while her husband was deployed. The program has grown immensely since then.

“It’s a real testament to how much America loves its Marines and sailors,” Guenther said. “They need our help now more than ever. You can help by spreading the word.”

She explained that “Cover Me” was made in response to this need, and to spread the message that those seeking treatment for combat stress will receive help, not reprisal.

The documentary called on unit leaders to be aware of the presence of combat stress in their Marines. “Cover Me” featured statements from Gen. James T. Conway, the 34th Commandant of the Marine Corps as well as Sgt. Major Carlton W. Kent, the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps.

“It’s incumbent upon all leaders to look for combat stress and find it early,” said Dr. Thomas A. Gaskin, the branch head for Combat Operational Stress Control (COSC).

COSC encompasses all of the policies and programs striving to prevent, identify and holistically treat mental injuries caused by combat or other operations, Gaskin explained.

“A leader’s responsibility never really ends,” said Gaskin, who served in the Navy as a clinical psychologist and at Marine Corps Base Quantico, V.A., as the suicide prevention officer.

Gaskin strongly urged senior and high ranking Marines to share their experiences of combat stress saying, “It is imperative in encouraging junior Marines to seek out treatment and help.”

There are multiple programs available that officers and staff non-commissioned officers can present to Marines that may help them deal with the lingering psychological effects of combat, said Wayne Feazell, II Marine Expeditionary Force COSC regional training coordinator.

“The Chaplain, senior enlisted members and programs like Semper Fit help build strength and resilience against stress,” said Feazell, a retired gunnery sergeant. “We’re taking a very aggressive approach to tie together all the various sources and make them available through COSC. We equip our Marines with all they need to fight, and that’s what we’re trying to do here in everyday life.”

In addition to providing help for Marines dealing with stress, COSC focuses on assisting families in dealing with the challenges that may arise after deployment.

“COSC is here to best (prepare) our families and Marines for deployment and for returning to regular life,” Feazell said.

The role of senior non-commissioned and traditional officers in supporting Marines suffering from combat related psychological issues is as invaluable as the support provided by a Marine’s family.

Asking for help when you return home is no different than calling in air support or artillery and should not be “stigmatized,” explained Guenther.

“If you need help, get the support you need,” she said. “This will not hurt their careers. It’s okay if things aren’t okay. Talk to someone, don’t just withdraw. Marines make good choices, they’re not victims.”

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cover%20me%20dvd%20cover.jpg‎
Views:	526
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	7366  

Thread Information