Best Advice for Poolee's, don't quit...!
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best Advice for Poolee's, don't quit...!

Hey Poolee's,
    I just graduated from recruit training 20090424 and I just had a quick word of advice to give to future recruits. This was definitely the hardest challenge I have gone through in my life, and there was plenty of times I wanted to quit and join the army instead. But once you have gotten used to it and realized why you are there, it becomes easier to deal with because you become motivated and determined to earn that EGA. I fractured my fibula really bad during rifle week and didn't find out till 2 days before the crucible. Lucky enough I got to go on the crucible and I managed to get through it even though it was very very tough. I have never been so proud of myself for becoming a US Marine. I wouldn't trade the title for anything in the world! Now even though I got to go back to Parris Island because I'm a grad hold for my leg (will be going into BMP), I still will stay motivated and get better so I can go to MCT and get the job done. I wish you poolee's and future recruits the best of luck, and remember with motivation, determination, and the right mindset, you can accomplish anything you want!

-Pvt Siggins

Quote Originally Posted by Siggs View Post
    Hey Poolee's,
    I just graduated from recruit training 20090424 and I just had a quick word of advice to give to future recruits. This was definitely the hardest challenge I have gone through in my life, and there was plenty of times I wanted to quit and join the army instead. But once you have gotten used to it and realized why you are there, it becomes easier to deal with because you become motivated and determined to earn that EGA. I fractured my fibula really bad during rifle week and didn't find out till 2 days before the crucible. Lucky enough I got to go on the crucible and I managed to get through it even though it was very very tough. I have never been so proud of myself for becoming a US Marine. I wouldn't trade the title for anything in the world! Now even though I got to go back to Parris Island because I'm a grad hold for my leg (will be going into BMP), I still will stay motivated and get better so I can go to MCT and get the job done. I wish you poolee's and future recruits the best of luck, and remember with motivation, determination, and the right mindset, you can accomplish anything you want!

-Pvt Siggins
    I keep hearing Marines on the forums saying Marine Corps Boot Camp is getting soft nowadays...... is this true?

Tell us how things are, and tell some stories Marine. I would love to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Army MP View Post
    I keep hearing Marines on the forums saying Marine Corps Boot Camp is getting soft nowadays...... is this true?

Tell us how things are, and tell some stories Marine. I would love to hear them.
    Marine Corp recruit training is in no way shape or form soft. The people who say that are either former Marines who went through recruit training when it was tougher, or civi's who have never done it before. Its a very tough and challenging 3 months, and you will never be treated softly at all. Here's one story, our chow hall was a 2 minute walk from our squad bay, and one afternoon we were jacking up drill, instead of a 5 minute march to the chow hall, it turned into an hour and a half run, we would run back and fourth and if one person started to walk we had to sprint. This happens all the time during recruit training, if one person in your platoon wants to slack off all the time, expect stuff like this on a regular basis. Now if you consider that soft then you must be crazy!

Marine Corp recruit training is in no way shape or form soft. The people who say that are either former Marines who went through recruit training when it was tougher, or civi's who have never done it before. Its a very tough and challenging 3 months, and you will never be treated softly at all. Here's one story, our chow hall was a 2 minute walk from our squad bay, and one afternoon we were jacking up drill, instead of a 5 minute march to the chow hall, it turned into an hour and a half run, we would run back and fourth and if one person started to walk we had to sprint. This happens all the time during recruit training, if one person in your platoon wants to slack off all the time, expect stuff like this on a regular basis. Now if you consider that soft then you must be crazy!
    Thanks for clearing that up Marine. How much weight did you lose or gain? What was the biggest weight loss in the company? I went from 210 to 164 (Army Basic Training). Back at 210 now hahaha (5 1/2 years later).

Thanks for clearing that up Marine. How much weight did you lose or gain? What was the biggest weight loss in the company? I went from 210 to 164 (Army Basic Training). Back at 210 now hahaha (5 1/2 years later).
    I gained 15 Ib's during recruit training (135 to 150). The biggest weight loss of the company that I knew was a recruit who went from 210 to 158 (52 Ib weight loss), quite amazing!

Also another question I had, is the Boot Camp now 12 weeks long instead of 13? On the Marines.com website it says 12 that's why I ask.

Also another question I had, is the Boot Camp now 12 weeks long instead of 13? On the Marines.com website it says 12 that's why I ask.
    I see that two...
    http://www.marines.com/main/index/p/...2_weeks_module

Jacob

The reason why it says 12 weeks on the website because after the 12th week you're a Marine. There is still 13 weeks of training though.

Army MP - Instead of asking a million ****** questions that you can simply find the answers to by manning up and enlisting, why don't you congratulate the Marine on his accomplishment.

Welcome to the club young Marine!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT VAS View Post
    Army MP - Instead of asking a million ****** questions that you can simply find the answers to by manning up and enlisting, why don't you congratulate the Marine on his accomplishment.

I was just thinking that also !!!
    Job well done Siggs,
    Semper Fi My Brother,

Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by SGT VAS View Post

I would but my MSO is not up until 2010. Just wanted to get some information out of a Marine fresh out of Boot Camp.

Congratulations Marine

The first week and some change is recieving and forming, the next 12 weeks are training days.

I gained 15 Ib's during recruit training (135 to 150). The biggest weight loss of the company that I knew was a recruit who went from 210 to 158 (52 Ib weight loss), quite amazing!
    how tall are you? i weigh 135 and am 6' and have always had a problem gaining weight :/ hopefully boot will put on some mass

Here's one story, our chow hall was a 2 minute walk from our squad bay,

You were clearly 1st RTBN. Oohrah, Marine. Stay motivated and keep working hard. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Zues View Post
    how tall are you? i weigh 135 and am 6' and have always had a problem gaining weight :/ hopefully boot will put on some mass
    Sounds like a problem I had 30+ years ago. When I got to boot camp at age 17, I was 6'4" 170 lbs and my goal was to get to 200 lbs. I gained about 10 in boot camp in muscle mass, and about a year later got myself to 202 when I was on Okinawa. Today, I'd love to be 202, but that would require a loss of about 30 or 40 lbs!!

Hang in there, it'll come to you. Boot camp may put a few pounds on you, but in about 15 or 20 years you may be wondering how to drop 30 pounds or so too!

Good luck!!!

Thread Information