Basic Recon Course - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Cool video, are you in it?

yeah im in most the pics.

Hey Domforce, thanks for this whole topic, it's been really helpful since Recon is my dream and all.

I just had a question about the contract. My recruiter is fairly new to the game, and told me there was no "Recon contracts" anymore, due to the high demand for Recon Marines. I told him to look into it and double check.

Also, I've been reading all over the place that the new contract signs you up for 5 years and a $7,000 bonus. Is this true?

Thanks again.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Did you screen at SOI? What did your screening consist of? Any advice you would give to prepare for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Outback206 View Post
    Hey Domforce, thanks for this whole topic, it's been really helpful since Recon is my dream and all.

I just had a question about the contract. My recruiter is fairly new to the game, and told me there was no "Recon contracts" anymore, due to the high demand for Recon Marines. I told him to look into it and double check.

Also, I've been reading all over the place that the new contract signs you up for 5 years and a $7,000 bonus. Is this true?

Thanks again.
    Im not sure what the new contract is like. When i enlisted it was a 4 year term with 10k bonus for active duty and 6 year term for 20k for reservists. ur recruiter may or may not be lying. there r not a lot of slots for contract recon guys out there and u gotta fight for them but a good option is to get a reservist recon contract and then once u complete ur training and go to ur unit u can augment to active duty.

PFC, I appreciate all the information thus far. I don't post a lot on this forum but read it religiously. I was DQ'd from service in the Marine Corps for being on medicine back in December (long story). BUMED for the Navy saw me as perfectly healthy and decided to let me in. I contracted as an HM (corpsman) and I'm set to leave for Great Lakes in a few months. After Corps school, most male candidates are being sent to Field Med at Lejeune where most get the chance to try for Recon. I would like to see myself trying out once I get out there. I retrieved some MARPAT MCCUU trousers and boots and have been running but what are some "pre-boot" exercises that I could be doing? I am guessing the Corpsman indoc test is the same as Marines? What are your opinions on these Corpsman joining the Recon ranks? God bless you and take care of yourself.

-LaGrand

Great freaking post PFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Domforce24 View Post
    Im not sure what the new contract is like. When i enlisted it was a 4 year term with 10k bonus for active duty and 6 year term for 20k for reservists. ur recruiter may or may not be lying. there r not a lot of slots for contract recon guys out there and u gotta fight for them but a good option is to get a reservist recon contract and then once u complete ur training and go to ur unit u can augment to active duty.
    First off, I congratulate you on your success thus far in the Corps, doing what you felt was the best for you... Second, a request... When speaking on a Recruiter, let's lose the "lying" adjective/verb/whatever... As you can see, your thread generated continued interest for what, 4 months? There are alot of guys who are interested in high speed, low drag... UZ, if placed on an individual who is likely going to succeed, can be one of the first Programs that disappears from the yearly inventory... In my opinion, and it's just my opinion, many that we place in it, aren't as serious as you, and aren't training as hard as you did... If you can maintain the pace, keep giving these guys the scoop... Good luck to you! S/F

Credits
    Savings
    First thank you PFC, for you effort to help us Poolee's and wannabe's get these questions answered, without getting mocked for it! My question is regaurding achieving the Expert Rifle Qualification. That is one thing I have very little control of until I am there; I too am following Stew Smith's Recon Training and Pullup/push up two week boosters- I am dedicated to this! However, I don't want to screw up and not qualify Expert and lose my chance at Recon either. Do you have any tips or suggestions to AIDE in this process, or is it a got it or don't type thing? Recon isn't a hold your hand all the way thing, and I am fully aware of that- I'll humbly except any advice, or none at all. You know best, Marine. Thank you, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryokeen View Post
    First thank you PFC, for you effort to help us Poolee's and wannabe's get these questions answered, without getting mocked for it! My question is regaurding achieving the Expert Rifle Qualification. That is one thing I have very little control of until I am there; I too am following Stew Smith's Recon Training and Pullup/push up two week boosters- I am dedicated to this! However, I don't want to screw up and not qualify Expert and lose my chance at Recon either. Do you have any tips or suggestions to AIDE in this process, or is it a got it or don't type thing? Recon isn't a hold your hand all the way thing, and I am fully aware of that- I'll humbly except any advice, or none at all. You know best, Marine. Thank you, sir!
    Not much you can do. I've shot firearms my entire life so it was fairly easy for me at the range. However, if you aren't used to shooting then you are either gonna be a natural or just plain suck. That doesn't mean you can't improve once you are in training though. Getting expert really isn't hard anyways, about 1/3 of my platoon in boot camp got expert. All the rest were mostly turd nuggets anyways.

By the way, people will tell you to forget everything you learned about shooting in the civilian world when shooting in boot camp because it will mess you up. In some aspects thats true but in reality if you're a good shot now then you're gonna be a good shot on the rifle range in boot camp. It all comes down to are you coordinated or not. Some people just suck at life

Credits
    Savings
    Not much you can do. I've shot firearms my entire life so it was fairly easy for me at the range. However, if you aren't used to shooting then you are either gonna be a natural or just plain suck. That doesn't mean you can't improve once you are in training though. Getting expert really isn't hard anyways, about 1/3 of my platoon in boot camp got expert. All the rest were mostly turd nuggets anyways.

By the way, people will tell you to forget everything you learned about shooting in the civilian world when shooting in boot camp because it will mess you up. In some aspects thats true but in reality if you're a good shot now then you're gonna be a good shot on the rifle range in boot camp. It all comes down to are you coordinated or not. Some people just suck at life
    Haha, Roger that! I shoot clays fairly often, coming from a red neck family, and got an oppourtunity to use the latest technology the Army had (KAT system, I think?) which simulated real kick and firing for guns, electronically. I did well with everything but the huge *** machine guns. So we'll just have to see, wether or not, I suck at life then aye?

What's life like for you now Marine?

OOOOOLLLLD Recon Marine

Is anyone here from the old Recon Company's? Back in the late 50's I was in 2d Recon at Camp LeJune (Camp Geiger) and we had a similar PT swim test and indoc but it was just a part of daily OJT. I do recall that the PL could fire anyone in the platoon and by close of business that day you were on a truck to the Division.

As I recall new members were assigned to the amphib platoon till they prove themselves capable then sent up to Little Creek (?) for the three week Amphib/Recon course. I'm not positive (someone may be able to validate) but you had to be in the Amphib platoon a year befor you could request jumps school. Even then slots were hard to come by 'cuz the Army opnly allowed us X-number of slots per cycle. One guy I went through Parris Island was an x-Army jumper from the Korean war. He walked in with the wings and there was quite a flap over how to handle him.

Any how, I thought I'd take a left turn in this string to bring up the continuity of Recon and requirements to be a member. I was lucky (I guess) coming right out of boot camp and ITR I was in really good physical condition and all the PT was not hard at all.

Ahhh, the memories

Ha! Guess who is sitting in a observation post 2 weeks straight prior to the grunts going in an kicking ass? That would be recon reconnoitering the enemy and giving your commanders intel on your targets. Tip of the spear huh?
    A tip pierces... best you can call this is being the eyes and ears.

yes all the same weapons and gear...recon gets alot of funding, unlike the rest of the marine corps

really? so who supports the repair of that gear? guess we don't have the funds to fix it. You can't play Marine Corps reconnoiter today because your comm is busted.

you, sir, are what we call in the recon community a "recon hater". (1)There's a ton of them out there in the corps and you fit the exact profile of one. (2)Your a terminal lance corporal who's obviously bitter about something. Oh you didn't see recon in country? Good, (3)then they did their job, they want to remain undetected from both the enemy or some trigger happy grunt that would compromise their team. I'm assuming this was iraq, which recon is being pulled out of because their is no reconnaissance mission there anymore. In afghanistan however, business is good there. And yes i am a little cocky i guess because in 2 weeks ill have obtained the title of 0321 amphibious reconnaissance operator and be one of only 1300 operators in the corps right now. Much more than you can say in your 4 years of being a terminal lance. (4)So before you start fights with a college educated, soon-to-be bloodthirsty recon Marine, just remember you couldn't get into recon because your gt score was too low and you didn't have the balls to become the best of the best. So don't bash me and then semper fi me when all (5)im trying to do is help these young kids achieve their goals of becoming a recon Marine when YOU NEVER HAD WHAT IT TAKES IN THE FIRST PLACE.

(1) how would you know?

(2) Again, How would you know? check now, and then ask him what is composite score was when he got promoted, then ask yourself again why his MOS didn't promote him at a lower score.

(3) you're an idiot

(4) I didn't know it was physically possible to kiss your own ass, plus what makes you think everyone in the Corps wants to be Recon? so you're not apart of an elite group who were selected from 202,000 Marines. You're one of probably 5,000 who wanted it. So that makes you average.

(5) no your not, you're stroking your own Ego. usually this is done by people who respect you and think you're awesome, apparently no one feels that way about you.

grow up.

Thread Information