Basic Recon Course - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    DoucheFag24: You are cocky, obnoxious, and in way over your head. Don't even TRY to tell me about the tip of the spear, clown. Guess how many recon elements I saw in country. Zip. No, not because they were good, but because they are simply not performing traditional recon missions. In the 20 min since you left MCRD (I hate that line!) you have obviously forgotten that you are nothing but an insignificant cog in a gigantic lumbering war machine.

Don't take it wrong-I really do wish you the best of luck. Just settle down and keep it in perspective. Far better men than you or I have gone ahead and established a legacy far greater than we could hope to improve. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    DoucheFag24: You are cocky, obnoxious, and in way over your head. Don't even TRY to tell me about the tip of the spear, clown. Guess how many recon elements I saw in country. Zip. No, not because they were good, but because they are simply not performing traditional recon missions. In the 20 min since you left MCRD (I hate that line!) you have obviously forgotten that you are nothing but an insignificant cog in a gigantic lumbering war machine.

Don't take it wrong-I really do wish you the best of luck. Just settle down and keep it in perspective. Far better men than you or I have gone ahead and established a legacy far greater than we could hope to improve. Semper Fi

lol, too funny

DomForce: You need a 225 PT and a 2nd Class Swim Qual. in boot or you lose your 0321 contract, correct? Or is the PT and Swim Qual. standard higher?

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post

you, sir, are what we call in the recon community a "recon hater". There's a ton of them out there in the corps and you fit the exact profile of one. Your a terminal lance corporal who's obviously bitter about something. Oh you didn't see recon in country? Good, then they did their job, they want to remain undetected from both the enemy or some trigger happy grunt that would compromise their team. I'm assuming this was iraq, which recon is being pulled out of because their is no reconnaissance mission there anymore. In afghanistan however, business is good there. And yes i am a little cocky i guess because in 2 weeks ill have obtained the title of 0321 amphibious reconnaissance operator and be one of only 1300 operators in the corps right now. Much more than you can say in your 4 years of being a terminal lance. So before you start fights with a college educated, soon-to-be bloodthirsty recon Marine, just remember you couldn't get into recon because your gt score was too low and you didn't have the balls to become the best of the best. So don't bash me and then semper fi me when all im trying to do is help these young kids achieve their goals of becoming a recon Marine when YOU NEVER HAD WHAT IT TAKES IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMAC51 View Post
    after reading all the post in this thread...you can get a recon contract from your recruiter? The one i go to told me you can't. Getting in better shape, what are somethings to get better pull-up results and a better run. after SOI is it rip then RBC?
    Im only a sophomore in high school, so im just trying to get enough info before i enlist
    thanks
    your recruiter is lying to u. get a new recruiter or put ur foot down and dont let him push u around into signing under a different MOS. Ur about to serve ur country, the least ur country can do for u is give u the job that u desire

as far as getting in better shape, check out stewsmith.com and look at his workouts for recon. I bought a recon workout from him last year and in 3 months i was in rediculously good shape, but u gotta have a lot of freetime to workout and be highly motivated to stick with it...its a *****

and yes it goes SOI>>>RIP>>>>BRC

Quote Originally Posted by jAbate94 View Post
    DomForce: You need a 225 PT and a 2nd Class Swim Qual. in boot or you lose your 0321 contract, correct? Or is the PT and Swim Qual. standard higher?
    negative, your pt and swim qual in bootcamp doesn't mean anything. as long as u at least get a 4th class swim qual and merely pass the pft in bootcamp then your fine. However, once u get to RIP, they will only send the guys with the best swim and pt scores into a BRC class. Otherwise you will be stuck in RIP forever, and trust me its a friggin nightmare there. Not someplace you wanna stay in for long. Once you get into BRC, you will need AT LEAST a 225 PFT and a 1st class swim qual to continue the course after training day 1. But you should far exceed a 225, a recon stud should be able to get a 225 in his sleep.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Domforce24 View Post
    you, sir, are what we call in the recon community a "recon hater". There's a ton of them out there in the corps and you fit the exact profile of one. Your a terminal lance corporal who's obviously bitter about something. Oh you didn't see recon in country? Good, then they did their job, they want to remain undetected from both the enemy or some trigger happy grunt that would compromise their team. I'm assuming this was iraq, which recon is being pulled out of because their is no reconnaissance mission there anymore. In afghanistan however, business is good there. And yes i am a little cocky i guess because in 2 weeks ill have obtained the title of 0321 amphibious reconnaissance operator and be one of only 1300 operators in the corps right now. Much more than you can say in your 4 years of being a terminal lance. So before you start fights with a college educated, soon-to-be bloodthirsty recon Marine, just remember you couldn't get into recon because your gt score was too low and you didn't have the balls to become the best of the best. So don't bash me and then semper fi me when all im trying to do is help these young kids achieve their goals of becoming a recon Marine when YOU NEVER HAD WHAT IT TAKES IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Good to see they're still cranking out good old blood guts pizz and vinegar down there... I ain't flamin anyone or trying to battle. I call it as I see it and obviously you don't agree. No worries. For the sake of the poolees watching I just want to clarify I have nothing against recon-actually have plenty of respect for the field. Before you get to judging, there is more than a stack and a bio can reveal. If you really want to know some of my credentials shoot me a PM or just come over the hill to Mateo and I'll gladly buy you a beer. I sure as hell will Semper Fi you because at the end of the day you are still my brother (even if ya hate me) just as every Matrine who ever has or ever will bear the title. Good luck on the remainder of your training (although you obviously don't need it) and when you get where you're going keep your head down and give 'em hell for me. SF

edit-Just had some old friends over for a few beers before one heads to Afghan and the other keeps making Devil Docs. Telling war stories (the few lame ones we have anyway...) and remembering the brothers we left there. Just makes me think and I probably will be all night...

yeah i will be having a talk with him.
    how long is RIP, what i read it made it seem like it was just a veryy long day
    and can you tell me what you do during each phase of BRC

Read the posts on this thread to see how long RIP is, its different for everyone.

Each phase of BRC goes like this:
    1st phase (pool phase): ton of hours in the pool doing various workouts, early morning pt such as running, cross fit, run-swim-runs, etc, land navigation, radio comm, calling for fire (mortars, arty, air) and learning various knots.

2nd phase (patrol phase): ruck runs (5-10 miles timed), demolitions (tnt, c4, claymores), a LOT of patrolling and patrol week (10 days in the desert doing long range reconnaissance patrols over several miles per patrol. 2-3 hours a sleep a night for the first 7 days and then no sleep at all the last 3 days, little food and no hygiene).

3rd phase (amphib phase): conducted in coronado and includes zodiac boats, finning, hydographic surveys, beach reconnaissance and amphibious insertions.

these are just the main things we do, there is a lot more but i can't remember everything

Hey Dom,

I'm making a lat move for 0321. Obviously I have an overall idea of what is expected at BRC however I'm still curious about a "typical" training day. I know typical probably doesn't happen at BRC but on average what's the day like? I'm looking for if you were writing a detailed training op. I appreciate the info and this has been an informative thread, great posts.

Sgt R

Quote Originally Posted by JSam View Post
    Just one question about the swimming. I have no desire to become recon or S/S unless the opportunity presents itself as the right choice.
    But I am curious... Is the 25m underwater straight-through, or a 40ft. swim, underwater turnaround, and then the 40ft. back?

Thanks man, congrats on making it through, and good luck on the rest of your training.

Whenever I've done it, it's been straight through. You don't get to push off from the pool wall though. You pull yourself down to the bottom of the pool touch off then start swimming. Touch your head to the other side then become upright and break the water and say "I feel fine." Sometimes recite your SSN. It wasn't one of the tests that dropped a lot of people, at least not later on. This wasn't for Recon Indoc, this was for MCIWS, but I would guess it's not much different, because both use procedures from the manual on swim qualifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Domforce24 View Post
    Read the posts on this thread to see how long RIP is, its different for everyone.

Each phase of BRC goes like this:
    1st phase (pool phase): ton of hours in the pool doing various workouts, early morning pt such as running, cross fit, run-swim-runs, etc, land navigation, radio comm, calling for fire (mortars, arty, air) and learning various knots.

2nd phase (patrol phase): ruck runs (5-10 miles timed), demolitions (tnt, c4, claymores), a LOT of patrolling and patrol week (10 days in the desert doing long range reconnaissance patrols over several miles per patrol. 2-3 hours a sleep a night for the first 7 days and then no sleep at all the last 3 days, little food and no hygiene).

3rd phase (amphib phase): conducted in coronado and includes zodiac boats, finning, hydographic surveys, beach reconnaissance and amphibious insertions.

these are just the main things we do, there is a lot more but i can't remember everything

How did the non-Infantry Marines do compared to 03xx? It's supposedly a big factor in SFAS.

I'm making a lat move to 0321. It's required for me to go to ITB to obtain the 0311 MOS prior to going to BRC becausing according to MCO you must be a 03XX or with reasonable OJT from the recon unit and a waiver signed by Company CO

I was on youtube and found this video haha. It's yours right? I recognized the username from this thread. Good music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjNCBH0mljQ

yes that would be me

Thread Information