Basic Recon Course - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureRecon101 View Post
    hey domforce, im a poolee and im contrct UZ, i leave for bootcamp in 22 days, and im just wondering about the recon indoc. right now im at 33 average pullups, 147 sit-ups, and 20:34 3-mile run. i have been swimming, and im good in the water. now i know after bootcamp that im going to go to SOI/MCT, but im wondering if you think that will be enough time to get my swimming stamina back because i dont think we are going to be doing a lot of swimming in bootcamp. I have the heart and the unbreakable drive to make it into recon, i have been wanting this since I was 14. but will that drive be enough even if I find myself falling behind in some way? Are the instructors going to see my efforts and help me, or are they just going to be there to try and weed me out?
    First off, you arent going to MCT, you're going to ITB. To answer your question, no, you won't have time to work on your swimming in ITB. You will be training and working from 0400-2200 and will have zero free time except on the weekends. Which isn't enough to keep your swimming up to par. What I did was train as hard as I could before bootcamp in the pool and just accept that your swimming will degrade a little before you get to RIP. However, have no fear! RIP was created to help highly motivated Marines with their swimming and pt. You will swim everyday in the pool for 4 hours in the morning and then get slayed in the afternoon with pt. You will swim/pt 2 or 3 times a day. You will be so exhausted you won't be able to move by dinner. However, this will get you incredible strong so that when a BRC class picks up you will be more than ready in the pool, ocean w/ fins, ruck runs, etc. As far as the instructors...DI's are totall dicks, ITB combat instructors are almost as bad but recon instructors are awesome. They treat you like men and will joke around with you and give you respect because they realize it takes a special kind of Marine to make it in recon. So they treat you the way you deserve to be treated. Don't worry you will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by JSam View Post
    Just one question about the swimming. I have no desire to become recon or S/S unless the opportunity presents itself as the right choice.
    But I am curious... Is the 25m underwater straight-through, or a 40ft. swim, underwater turnaround, and then the 40ft. back?

Thanks man, congrats on making it through, and good luck on the rest of your training.

its 25m straight through in cammies. however, they will train you to do 50m so that when the day of the screening comes, you will do 25m easily...

Quote Originally Posted by WebbM88 View Post
    Good info. Sounds like you are getting to have all sorts of fun Domforce. I'm just interested in the recon stuff because its hard to get info on it and it is always all over the place. As for the water aspect that is one of the factors that draws me to it. I played waterpolo for a few years and did well so I am quite water oriented. Anywho, good luck and keep it up. Thanks again for the info.
    water polo players and competitive swimmers do great here in the pool. However, many have weak up bodies with things like pullups, pushups, etc. So make sure you can max that stuff out and run like a deer!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInVille View Post
    Bahhhh recon still supports 0311...w/e. True tip of spear is the normal grunt.
    Ha! Guess who is sitting in a observation post 2 weeks straight prior to the grunts going in an kicking ass? That would be recon reconnoitering the enemy and giving your commanders intel on your targets. Tip of the spear huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen139 View Post
    What specifically are the requirements for a recon contract? Is this a UZ contract? Are all SOI classes getting a chance at the INDOC?
    To get a recon contract you don't need much except a clean record really. Just make sure you're great at pt, swimming and highly motivated. Oh and if you enjoy your free time, just forget about it. Recon is life around here, you live, breath and eat it. So tell suzy that you don't have time for her anymore and kiss your friends and family goodbye because you will be nonstop training for at least 1.5 years and most likely sent to Okinawa with 3rd recon. 3rd recon is hurting for bodies and has been for a while so thats where all the boot 0321's go when they graduate BRC.

When you go through SOI you MAY get a chance to volunteer to go to RIP/BRC afterwards but my company didn't. Luckily I had a recon contract so I was set anyways. So I highly recommend going into the Marines as an 0321 or else you risk not being about to volunteer in SOI or you have to wait until your an NCO in the fleet to lat move to recon.

Quote Originally Posted by Drill for life View Post
    Alright I made a 54 AFQT and I have a 105 GT and I am enlisting on June 1st, 2009 under 03xx. I have a question can I enlist and then after I make it through MCRD and go to SOI can I then do the REcon Indoc even if I didn't have the GT or AFQT for 0321?
    Yes you MAY get the chance to come to recon after SOI. That is only if RIP is hurting for bodies and comes to SOI and asks for volunteers. But like I said in a previous post, sometimers they are full up and don't need guys so they only take recon contracts. As long as you GT score is 105 or above then your eligible.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    recon is the route ive always wanted to go. but i'm clueless on how to get there. Im 67 days til recruit training an still havent got an MOS. So what MOS do i need to get into for recon? i'm ready to do WHATEVER it takes to get there. I just need to know what it is that i need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Domforce24 View Post
    Yes you MAY get the chance to come to recon after SOI. That is only if RIP is hurting for bodies and comes to SOI and asks for volunteers. But like I said in a previous post, sometimers they are full up and don't need guys so they only take recon contracts. As long as you GT score is 105 or above then your eligible.
    Thank you very much. I don't really want to be Recon, I just want the chance you know. I jsut really want to go to Airborne school at Ft.Benning(I went this summer at JCLC and did the 60 foot tower, 250 foot drop and 30 foot tower)

Quote Originally Posted by wisor09 View Post
    recon is the route ive always wanted to go. but i'm clueless on how to get there. Im 67 days til recruit training an still havent got an MOS. So what MOS do i need to get into for recon? i'm ready to do WHATEVER it takes to get there. I just need to know what it is that i need to do.
    try to get a recon contract from ur recruiter as an 0321 reconnaissance man. they are limited on recon slots but if u cant get it then go 03xx grunt and then volunteer for recon in SOI if u get the chance

Quote Originally Posted by Drill for life View Post
    Thank you very much. I don't really want to be Recon, I just want the chance you know. I jsut really want to go to Airborne school at Ft.Benning(I went this summer at JCLC and did the 60 foot tower, 250 foot drop and 30 foot tower)
    if u don't want to be recon bad enough then you will never make it, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Domforce24 View Post
    its 25m straight through in cammies. however, they will train you to do 50m so that when the day of the screening comes, you will do 25m easily...
    Awesome, man. Thanks. Good luck on your journey.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    do recon Marines get all the hi tech weapons and stuff. Night vision and lasers and stuff like that.I dont want to compare life to a video game but is it like the **** they use in COD 4.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinL91 View Post
    do recon Marines get all the hi tech weapons and stuff. Night vision and lasers and stuff like that.I dont want to compare life to a video game but is it like the **** they use in COD 4.
    yes all the same weapons and gear...recon gets alot of funding, unlike the rest of the marine corps

Quote Originally Posted by GavinL91 View Post
    dont know everything but I do believe that PEQ and Nightvision isnt all that "Hi-tech" anymore. And for weapons Im not quite sure which hi-tech ones you are talking about either

after reading all the post in this thread...you can get a recon contract from your recruiter? The one i go to told me you can't. Getting in better shape, what are somethings to get better pull-up results and a better run. after SOI is it rip then RBC?
    Im only a sophomore in high school, so im just trying to get enough info before i enlist
    thanks

Thread Information