Basic Recon Course
Create Post
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Basic Recon Course

I making this thread for all the poolees or new Marines out there who have questions about making it through RIP (not called MART anymore) or BRC and want to become recon Marines. When I was a poolee on this site i remember all Marines did was harass poolees when they asked about recon, what it takes and what its like. That annoyed the hell outta me so as a current stud at BRC in phase 2 of training I thought i would enlighten anyone who wants to know about RIP or BRC. Its extremely hard to find out info on recon training until you actually go through it and half the info out there is outdated. So this thread is for asking questions on what requirements you need to get a recon contract from your recruiter, requirements for passing RIP or BRC and what the training consists of. So ask away.

How is it going domforce. Im a 2631 elint. I just got out of recruit training on the 17 of april. I was just curious what mos leads to recon and what else you have to do to get in. I know I haven't experienced anything in my field yet and I still do not know much about it. I just cant help but think I might get bored because I like to get out there and run around as opposed to possibly sitting around computers most of the time. I got a 300 pft.. 18 mins, 25 p/u, and 170 s/u. Im just curious how you have been training, and what your schooling consists of. Oh and also how does MCT work? I heard we get to do more fun stuff. Grenades and all. Good luck finishing up with your schooling and Semper Fi!

I would assume you do MCT, MOS school, then you can go out for the indoc...I thought recon was strictly 03 field but MARSOC is open to all MOS.

ok heres how it will work for POG's. If you are in an infantry MOS u will go through ITB and then straight to RIP. However, if you arent infantry you will go through MCT, then your MOS school and then once you are in the fleet you can request to come to recon if you pass the indoc. ANYBODY can go to recon but once you are in the fleet its tough to get permission to do so, especially if your a POG. We have only a few POG's in my platoon but they said they went through hell to get a spot in the school and they are all NCO's. so it may be a while before u get the chance to come here. As far as MARSOC, to get into it you need to become recon FIRST, and they only allow NCO's. MARSOC is for the best of the best for recon so it ain't easy to get into.

As for you Webb, your physical fitness looks good. but this course is mostly about swimming. If your pt is decent, you will do fine, but u gotta know how to swim well and be comfortable in the water. You will have to do 500m swim in under 15 mins, swim underwater 25m, retrieve a rifle from 15ft down and then tread water with it about your head for 5 secs, tread water for 30 mins and jump off a 30 ft tower. All of this is doen in full cammies. Its not hard to do this stuff unless you panic in the water.

as far as training so far, we've done a TON of pool stuff, play with claymores, c4, tnt, land navigation, 5-10 mile ruck runs, rappelling, radio communications, working a lot with knots and a ton of pt. Coming up we got calling in mortar, artillery and cobra strikes, SPIE rigging, patrolling, helo insertions, etc. Then you go to coronado and train on the beach for amphib with the SEALs. The biggest challenge here is patrol week, its 10 days in the field humping over a 20k by 20k area all day and night doing mock raids, patrols and snooping and pooping in the bush. You get 2 MRE's a day and 4 hours of sleep a night for the first 7 days and then the last 3 days of patrol week you don't get to sleep at all and 1 MRE a day. If you fall asleep for one second and an instructor sees you then you get dropped and either have to go through RIP again and start all over or you get sent back to the fleet to be a grunt or POG. so as u can see u can be dropped very easy from this course.

Quote Originally Posted by Domforce24 View Post
    I making this thread for all the poolees or new Marines out there who have questions about making it through RIP (not called MART anymore) or BRC and want to become recon Marines. When I was a poolee on this site i remember all Marines did was harass poolees when they asked about recon, what it takes and what its like. That annoyed the hell outta me so as a current stud at BRC in phase 2 of training I thought i would enlighten anyone who wants to know about RIP or BRC. Its extremely hard to find out info on recon training until you actually go through it and half the info out there is outdated. So this thread is for asking questions on what requirements you need to get a recon contract from your recruiter, requirements for passing RIP or BRC and what the training consists of. So ask away.
    Hey stud, congratulations - but maybe you should wait until you have finished training before you open your soup cooler and step on your crank.

And maybe the reason why some of us jump on the recon wanna bees in the endless threads they post is because the emphasis should be on earning the title.

Just like earning the title of recon Marine - ya might want to earn it first before you dish it.

But congratulations and good luck, stud.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    hey domforce, im a poolee and im contrct UZ, i leave for bootcamp in 22 days, and im just wondering about the recon indoc. right now im at 33 average pullups, 147 sit-ups, and 20:34 3-mile run. i have been swimming, and im good in the water. now i know after bootcamp that im going to go to SOI/MCT, but im wondering if you think that will be enough time to get my swimming stamina back because i dont think we are going to be doing a lot of swimming in bootcamp. I have the heart and the unbreakable drive to make it into recon, i have been wanting this since I was 14. but will that drive be enough even if I find myself falling behind in some way? Are the instructors going to see my efforts and help me, or are they just going to be there to try and weed me out?

FR101, read the post just above yours.

Get through Boot first then look at BRC. Can't take things out of order here or in the Corps, it doesn't work that way.

You will have to do 500m swim in under 15 mins, swim underwater 25m, retrieve a rifle from 15ft down and then tread water with it about your head for 5 secs, tread water for 30 mins and jump off a 30 ft tower.

Just one question about the swimming. I have no desire to become recon or S/S unless the opportunity presents itself as the right choice.
    But I am curious... Is the 25m underwater straight-through, or a 40ft. swim, underwater turnaround, and then the 40ft. back?

Thanks man, congrats on making it through, and good luck on the rest of your training.

Good info. Sounds like you are getting to have all sorts of fun Domforce. I'm just interested in the recon stuff because its hard to get info on it and it is always all over the place. As for the water aspect that is one of the factors that draws me to it. I played waterpolo for a few years and did well so I am quite water oriented. Anywho, good luck and keep it up. Thanks again for the info.

Bahhhh recon still supports 0311...w/e. True tip of spear is the normal grunt.

What specifically are the requirements for a recon contract? Is this a UZ contract? Are all SOI classes getting a chance at the INDOC?

Alright I made a 54 AFQT and I have a 105 GT and I am enlisting on June 1st, 2009 under 03xx. I have a question can I enlist and then after I make it through MCRD and go to SOI can I then do the REcon Indoc even if I didn't have the GT or AFQT for 0321?

Good post. Good luck to you I hope you make it Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Hey stud, congratulations - but maybe you should wait until you have finished training before you open your soup cooler and step on your crank.

And maybe the reason why some of us jump on the recon wanna bees in the endless threads they post is because the emphasis should be on earning the title.

Just like earning the title of recon Marine - ya might want to earn it first before you dish it.

But congratulations and good luck, stud.
    I disagree with you there Sgt. They should be focused on earning the title but preparing yourself before becoming a marine to survive RIP is CRUCIAL. I've seen way too many ripsters fail (both boots and nco's from the fleet) because they didn't prepare their bodies before bootcamp. If you go into this course unprepared you WILL FAIL. Also, it is impossible to go through bootcamp and then prepare for this course while your at ITB. You just have no free time to work out and get yourself up to recon standards. So yes I haven't earned the title of recon Marine yet but I've had a lot of success in the course thus far and am very knowledgeable about what it takes to get here and what the training consists of. So I'm trying to help these poolees out in finding out info on the subject without getting ripped apart by older marines for asking about recon when they have the right to inquire about the subject.

I've seen way too many ripsters fail

have fun

Thread Information