Basic Recon Course - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    yes u must swim qual 1. yes they went harder on me because they knew i was a recon contract and they were all POGs so of course they were recon haters. they made me squad leader the entire time in boot camp until one of the last weeks and then fired me because i scratched my nose haha. and no you will not take an indoc, they don't do that anymore at SOI.

Quote Originally Posted by Outback206 View Post
    Lcpl Bettencourt,

I finally have my UZ contract in line, but I still have some unanswered questions.

1. Did you have to swim qual 1 IN boot?
    2. Did any drill instructor "Go Harder" on you due to your contract.
    3. At SOI, will I take the INDOC at the very end of my 3 months?

Thanks again for the post.

-Clark

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Outback206 View Post
    Hey Domforce, thanks for this whole topic, it's been really helpful since Recon is my dream and all.

I just had a question about the contract. My recruiter is fairly new to the game, and told me there was no "Recon contracts" anymore, due to the high demand for Recon Marines. I told him to look into it and double check.

Also, I've been reading all over the place that the new contract signs you up for 5 years and a $7,000 bonus. Is this true?

Thanks again.
    i just saw this and commented though it was probally already answered.
    yes it's the contract i have. VZ. 5 years and 7500 bounus.

Quote Originally Posted by Domforce24 View Post
    yes u must swim qual 1.
    Wrong. You need a 3rd class in boot camp, and you have to get a 2nd in BRC, although you will have the chance to get a first.

yeah well if you cant get a first class swim qual you will fail miserably at BRC anyways. So if you can't pass a swim qual 1 then dont even try.

Quote Originally Posted by Domforce24 View Post
    yeah well if you cant get a first class swim qual you will fail miserably at BRC anyways. So if you can't pass a swim qual 1 then dont even try.

Really? 'Cause I remember several people in my class not getting first, for whatever reason...and I would put money that a few guys in 5- didn't get it either.

Quote Originally Posted by fs19 View Post
    Really? 'Cause I remember several people in my class not getting first, for whatever reason...and I would put money that a few guys in 5- didn't get it either.
    I just got out of BRC and we had 3 JEWS and 1 NCO pass the course with a 2nd class swim.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I am a poole with a UZ contract and i understand that the swimming is very hard. I have been training but i would like to know what i should focus on. Stamina or technique? what should i do to make my goal more successful?
    Pull Ups: 34
    Sit ups:112
    3-mile: 17:56

DomForce, sounds as if you are doing well. Best of luck in your training. I had the privilege of serving in Bn Recon and Force over a ten year period and have always remembered the comradrie and lovalty among these fine Marines. Serve proud.

arugah ssgt!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When Your in Water become Water,learn too Relax and with your physical abalitites you'll do just fine..."Go Ricky Recon Go"

Quote Originally Posted by paniagua View Post
    Stamina or technique? what should i do to make my goal more successful?
    They're going to teach you technique in MART and throughout the first phase of BRC and you'll be spending enough time at the pool (every day in MART) that, as long as you stick with it and put out, you'll have more than enough stamina and you're technique will be good enough to breeze through whatever water events they throw at you.

Oh and as for swim quals: Everyone in my BRC class came out with Q, if you didn't make the qual you were dropped.

I picked my avionics MOS because it lines up with my college major. However.. I'm starting to think I want to do something else that I'll enjoy instead of trying to make my life revolve around college. Recon has been heavy on my mind lately.. checked with my recruiter and the reserve unit I'd be assigned to has 3 or 4 recon jobs available. I'm seriously considering asking if I can switch.. I've been told my my recruiter than I can. Any sort of 2 cents you could offer me on this and picking 0321?

on another note, I think I just watched your BRC video on youtube, Domforce. Looks like some pretty fun stuff.

Domforce, i was just blessed with the phone call informing me that i got the UZ, unfortunatley i now have to wait til september to leave for P.I. But I just have one question, do you take the INDOC before RIP? thanks

Thread Information