Why do you want to be a Marine? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    re-reading my post i feel i wasn't clear enough or was just rambling i guess.

I wanted to join the Marine Corps more than any other branch because I want to actually change and grow as a person. I want the pride to be able to say I'm part of the best. A lot of people I talk to that are going Army just seem too soft or too scared to join the Marines; they still have this "me first" mentality, and I've rarely seen an ex soldier grow out of it. I have met some decent soldiers, great people, but all of the former and active Marines I've seen just walk around with this "swagger" bravado and confidence. They know what they want, they're driven, unafraid, focused, and natural leaders; exactly the kind of person I hope to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JonH View Post

I wanted to join the Marine Corps more than any other branch because I want to actually change and grow as a person. I want the pride to be able to say I'm part of the best. A lot of people I talk to that are going Army just seem too soft or too scared to join the Marines; they still have this "me first" mentality, and I've rarely seen an ex soldier grow out of it. I have met some decent soldiers, great people, but all of the former and active Marines I've seen just walk around with this "swagger" bravado and confidence. They know what they want, they're driven, unafraid, focused, and natural leaders; exactly the kind of person I hope to be.
    Wow you totally put down my exact thoughts

I wanted to join the day I saw my brothers walk across the parade deck on Parris Island back in 1997. I was seven years old at the time. I let my mother talk me out of it when I went to the recruiting office, but I found my place back in life. I was really set on it when I went and visited both of my brothers. One was at 8th & I and my other brother was at Camp Lejeune. Going to both areas made me want it even more.

Convulsive
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonH View Post

very true, very true. I can't talk down about soldiers because right now they're more than I am. Im just a poolee and their actually serving our Military. Also my cousin is a soldier and some of my friends. One of my favorite MMA fighters Brian Stann was a Marine and he said

“[Being a war veteran is] the reason why I’m a successful fighter. Combat is a more complex environment than fighting. Mentally, the reason I win fights is because I can simplify a fight and not overcomplicate it. I don’t walk into that cage full of fear. I’ve been through war already. It makes fighting much, much easier…. I’m not scared of getting beat. I’m not scared of getting hurt. I’m not going to lose legs. I’m not going to lose any limbs. I’m not going to have to call one of my guy’s parents and let them know that their son is dead. It’s obviously much easier. That’s why it’s a sport. War is obviously very real. At the end of a fight, the worst thing getting hurt is my pride. Nobody is going to die.”

Marines hold themselves to a higher standard definately. Thats what sets them a part. Now i think i know what you were trying to say when you said bravado but Marines don't ever show bravado. Bravado is a false show of bravery... a bluff. Atleast in one context.

The Marine Corps shows the most pride and holds some essence of brotherhood and espirit de corps, that no other branch holds. I never had a brother growing up, my one brother died at birth and always wished I had one to look out for and grow up with.

Combination between the challenge and discipline and to join the BROTHERhood have been a big factor. Won't find the bond and "band of brothers" like in the Marine Corps anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
    For as long as I can remember I have always wanted to be a Marine. I remember my grandfather talking about them like they were gods when I was very young and ever since then I knew I had to be one.
    Pretty much the same here.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The military always caught my interest, but I never pursued it until last year, my first year of college. I just it was all the academia that pushed me towards it. I've always wanted to do something with my life that left a mark and that I would be able to look back upon and be satisfied with.

As far as joining the Marines as opposed to other branches was pretty simple. I do not want to bash any other service because we are all in it together, but something about the Marines was clearly different. As I know now there is a lot that sets the Marine Corps apart, and I take a lot of pride in playing a very minor role in it.

So that is basically it. Simply put, I can not think of anything more worthwhile that I could do.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisium View Post
    Crap. I corrected a poolee for misspelling Corps and went ahead and did it myself.
    it happens, I can think of plenty of times were a post was dicked up from being not all that sober, and I can think of a few while sober as well lol

Great thread...even if it has been done before

Basically I wanted to be part of the best, most fierce fighting force in the world. I wanted to be part of the brotherhood. I wanted one of the few and the proud.

JUSTICE
    Definition: Justice is defined as the practice of being fair and consistent. A just person gives consideration to each side of a situation and bases rewards or punishments on merit.
    Suggestions for Improvement: Be honest with yourself about why you make a particular decision. Avoid favoritism. Try to be fair at all times and treat all things and people in an equal manner.

JUDGMENT
    Definition: Judgment is your ability to think about things clearly, calmly, and in an orderly fashion so that you can make good decisions.
    Suggestions for Improvement: You can improve your judgment if you avoid making rash decisions. Approach problems with a common sense attitude.

DEPENDABILITY
    Definition: Dependability means that you can be relied upon to perform your duties properly. It means that you can be trusted to complete a job. It is the willing and voluntary support of the policies and orders of the chain of command. Dependability also means consistently putting forth your best effort in an attempt to achieve the highest standards of performance.
    Suggestions for Improvement: You can increase your dependability by forming the habit of being where you're supposed to be on time, by not making excuses and by carrying out every task to the best of your ability regardless of whether you like it or agree with it.

INITIATIVE
    Definition: Initiative is taking action even though you haven't been given orders. It means meeting new and unexpected situations with prompt action. It includes using resourcefulness to get something done without the normal material or methods being available to you.
    Suggestions for Improvement: To improve your initiative, work on staying mentally and physically alert. Be aware of things that need to be done and then to do them without having to be told.

DECISIVENESS
    Definition: Decisiveness means that you are able to make good decisions without delay. Get all the facts and weight them against each other. By acting calmly and quickly, you should arrive at a sound decision. You announce your decisions in a clear, firm, professional manner.
    Suggestions for Improvement: Practice being positive in your actions instead of acting half-heartedly or changing your mind on an issue.

TACT
    Definition: Tact means that you can deal with people in a manner that will maintain good relations and avoid problems. It means that you are polite, calm, and firm.
    Suggestions for Improvement: Begin to develop your tact by trying to be courteous and cheerful at all times. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

INTEGRITY
    Definition: Integrity means that you are honest and truthful in what you say or do. You put honesty, sense of duty, and sound moral principles above all else.
    Suggestions for Improvement: Be absolutely honest and truthful at all times. Stand up for what you believe to be right.

ENTHUSIASM
    Definition: Enthusiasm is defined as a sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of your duties. If you are enthusiastic, you are optimistic, cheerful, and willing to accept the challenges.
    Suggestions for Improvement: Understanding and belief in your mission will add to your enthusiasm for your job. Try to understand why even uninteresting jobs must be done.

BEARING
    Definition: Bearing is the way you conduct and carry yourself. Your manner should reflect alertness, competence, confidence, and control.
    Suggestions for Improvement: To develop bearing, you should hold yourself to the highest standards of personal conduct. Never be content with meeting only the minimum requirements.

UNSELFISHNESS
    Definition: Unselfishness means that you avoid making yourself comfortable at the expense of others. Be considerate of others. Give credit to those who deserve it.
    Suggestions for Improvement: Avoid using your position or rank for personal gain, safety, or pleasure at the expensive of others. Be considerate of others.

COURAGE
    Definition: Courage is what allows you to remain calm while recognizing fear. Moral courage means having the inner strength to stand up for what is right and to accept blame when something is your fault. Physical courage means that you can continue to function effectively when there is physical danger present.
    Suggestions for Improvement: You can begin to control fear by practicing self-discipline and calmness. If you fear doing certain things required in your daily life, force yourself to do them until you can control your reaction.

KNOWLEDGE
    Definition: Knowledge is the understanding of a science or art. Knowledge means that you have acquired information and that you understand people. Your knowledge should be broad, and in addition to knowing your job, you should know your unit's policies and keep up with current events.
    Suggestions for Improvement: Suggestions for Improvement: Increase your knowledge by remaining alert. Listen, observe, and find out about things you don't understand. Study field manuals and other military literature.

LOYALTY
    Definition: Loyalty means that you are devoted to your country, the Corps, and to your seniors, peers, and subordinates. The motto of our Corps is Semper Fidelis!, (Always Faithful). You owe unwavering loyalty up and down the chain of command, to seniors, subordinates, and peers.
    Suggestions for Improvement: To improve your loyalty you should show your loyalty by never discussing the problems of the Marine Corps or your unit with outsiders. Never talk about seniors unfavorably in front of your subordinates. Once a decision is made and the order is given to execute it, carry out that order willingly as if it were your own.

ENDURANCE
    Definition: Endurance is the mental and physical stamina that is measured by your ability to withstand pain, fatigue, stress, and hardship. For example, enduring pain during a conditioning march in order to improve stamina is crucial in the development of leadership.
    Suggestions for Improvement: Develop your endurance by engaging in physical training that will strengthen your body. Finish every task to the best of your ability by forcing yourself to continue when you are physically tired and your mind is sluggish.

there are various reasons. For starters I was raised by a recon sniper who instilled in me a lot of values and morals that have helped me become the woman I am today. It has taken me awhile to get where I am today and be able to join the Marine Corps. I used to be on the army funeral detail and we were burying this army veteran from desert storm and basically the other NCO's fubar'd the whole thing. then they folded the flag wrong,I was on my knee telling this woman "On behalf of a grateful nation...." all while trying to fix the flag and not be too obvious about it,I cried after thinking this guy got a raw deal. I then remember not too long after seeing a Marine funeral, and these Marines executed everything perfectly,synchronized and impeccable. I realized at that moment I could not possibly fathom leave this earth with the title soldier,that I had to earn the title of Marine.

Options & Opportunities

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Because I'm sitting here, at age 21, at 4:04AM knowing full well that I won't wake up until 3PM. Jobless and without more than a high school education. Because for all the smart I have in my head, I haven't had the brains or discipline to get my ass in gear. I've lived off someone else for the past 21 years, and it's time for me to step up and be a man. To learn to provide for myself. And protect those who can't protect themselves. My grandfather was a father to me. He was in the Army when being in the Army meant more than school money. I want to be like him. And this is the best way I know how. I do not know how long I will remain an Active Duty Marine, but I do know this: I am who I am today because I thought it was the best choice. Now, I'm choosing the best choice.

(Thanks for reading. It was very cathartic as I've only spoken the words, and not seen them written down.)

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    this is probably a common reason but what the hell, I want be a marine because I see all levels of school education as a waste of time. I want to be one of the best I want to fight for the title I want a challange that will push me forever I'm tired of sitting around and doing nothing I want to be able to say "I am a Marine!" with the real power of the words behind it. now does anyne know a recruiter I can talk to?

the Dress Blues but really, its just to hard to explain, everyone knows what i mean.

Thread Information