Marine Boot Camp Drop Out %
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marine Boot Camp Drop Out %

Can a Marine tell me why the USMC Boot Camp washout rate is so low? I was thinking around 20-25%, however Army and Navy is actually higher. It also has been higher in previous years as well.

Marine Boot Camp is supposed to be the most challenging initial recruit training in the U.S. Military, so why is the wash-out rate so low?

Do they make you graduate due to low funding? Are the recruiters more prone to get stronger recruits?

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...asicattrit.htm

Just wondering, because I myself am interested in becoming a Marine after my contract with the Army is up. Some insight would be awesome.

Thank you Marines

Probably because of recruiting policy. There's only 202,000 Marines. The Navy has almost 500K and the Army over one million (counting ANG and Reserves).

There are less seats to fill so recruiters can implement better filtering processes before recruit training.

That would be my guess at least.

I'm sure it is an fiscal issues as well. The Marine Corps receives only a fraction of what the other services receive (in non combat operations funding) so they have to be careful not to waste money on high attrition rates.

You have to look at the numbers, 11.7% of how many VS 13.6 of how many. The Army trains how many thousands more then the Marines? The numbers are not used as a comparison between the two and should not be used as such.

When I went to boot we lost about 40% of the platoon, started with 107 by 2nd phase we were down close to 60. We picked up a couple at the end of 2nd phase and graduated 76.

Regardless of the #'s a % has nothing to do with mass quantity nor small quantity. I am gonna agree with the other Marine. It has to be something with funding, they already spent so much on you and they are gonna make your ass graduate.

I also know the Army/Navy will pick up anybody. I have seen people as retarded as you can be before you a legal retard in the Army. Are the Marine really that selective towards recruiting? I also know that most people who seek out to be a Marine are usually pretty tough individuals to begin with.

My guess is the USMC recycle rate is much higher then other branches, however I could not find anything on it.

A little off topic, however I would like to know. Is SOI challenging?

Quote Originally Posted by Army MP View Post
    Regardless of the #'s a % has nothing to do with mass quantity nor small quantity. I am gonna agree with the other Marine. It has to be something with funding, they already spent so much on you and they are gonna make your ass graduate.

% does have something to do with quantity it is a direct relationship of the overall numbers, 10% of 100 is 10, 10% of 1000 is 100 so unless the final results of the two answers are similar then they are not comparable, it's called math.

I also know the Army/Navy will pick up anybody. I have seen people as retarded as you can be before you a legal retard in the Army. Are the Marine really that selective towards recruiting? I also know that most people who seek out to be a Marine are usually pretty tough individuals to begin with.

Did you just call me retarded you POS? I can't tell because your fuggin grammar resembles that of a 1st grader.

My guess is the USMC recycle rate is much higher then other branches, however I could not find anything on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Army MP View Post
    Regardless of the #'s a % has nothing to do with mass quantity nor small quantity.
    The ratio between what or how many you train versus how many you fail is most definitely a factor in why the "numbers" are what they are. I don't my degree in finance to figure that one out.

If you have mass bodies going through a system (Army) then you are going to get more failures. Opposed to a system designed for a limited amount of bodies (Marines) therefore a limited amount of failures are produced.

But trust me, although we hide them the best we can, we have our fair share of idiots who made it through for whatever reason. But for the most part the initial selection or screening weeds out the wussies. Garbage in is garbage out.

As kid, a childhood friend of mine wanted to be a Marine but he didn't score high enough to be in the Corps, however, the Navy took him and made him a paint chipper, true story.

As much as I hate to admit, I'm sure funding has something to do with it, because lets face it, funding factors into a lot of other decisions that are not always on the surface financial.

Also, having taught at a Marine Corps School with a high dropout rate,,, before I worked there. A high dropout rate isn't always a reflection of the toughness of the school or whatnot, it could be a reflection of the caliber and/ or level of instruction. If your instructors, can't or are not effective in delivering the message, and you drop a bunch of people, who's fault is that? The system or the student.

Good luck with your pursuit of our title of One of the Few and the Proud.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    The ratio between what or how many you train versus how many you fail is most definitely a factor in why the "numbers" are what they are. I don't my degree in finance to figure that one out.

If you have mass bodies going through a system (Army) then you are going to get more failures. Opposed to a system designed for a limited amount of bodies (Marines) therefore a limited amount of failures are produced.

But trust me, although we hide them the best we can, we have our fair share of idiots who made it through for whatever reason. But for the most part the initial selection or screening weeds out the wussies. Garbage in is garbage out.

As kid, a childhood friend of mine wanted to be a Marine but he didn't score high enough to be in the Corps, however, the Navy took him and made him a paint chipper, true story.

As much as I hate to admit, I'm sure funding has something to do with it, because lets face it, funding factors into a lot of other decisions that are not always on the surface financial.

Also, having taught at a Marine Corps School with a high dropout rate,,, before I worked there. A high dropout rate isn't always a reflection of the toughness of the school or whatnot, it could be a reflection of the caliber and/ or level of instruction. If your instructors, can't or are not effective in delivering the message, and you drop a bunch of people, who's fault is that? The system or the student.

Good luck with your pursuit of our title of One of the Few and the Proud.
    Thank you very much for your answer SGT I appreciate it.

GSEMarine94 did not mean to offend nor **** you off, I apologize if I did either one.

This is building on Wookie's point on the caliber of instruction.

Just a few days into boot camp, our recruits already have a strong desire to achieve, graduate, and eventually become their drill instructors. When you look up role model in the dictionary, you see a Marine Corps Drill Instructor.
    Our system is built in such a way that it is hard to describe the metamorphasis to an outsider. Sorry to say, but the other services have no equivalent process to our method of making Marines.
    You are correct in thinking that our recycle rate is higher, since any number of things can delay a graduation. However, unless there are medical, mental, or criminal defects, we will motivate that recruit and get him through.

you can also take into account that the Army let's people drop out (right?) during training for many reasons... the Marine Corps does not.

the Army has only 72% of it's recruits last year possessing a high school diploma... the Marine Corps 98%

the Army's training is co-ed, resulting in a % of females dropping due to pregnancy... the Marine Corps is not co-ed recruit training... or MCT... right? I don't remember any women at my MCT so I'm only guessing.

the Amry sucks.... the Marine Corps does not.

as far as finances goes... it cost money to send someone through recruit training... keeping them there costs money as well... recycling costs money too... if they are fat it costs money... if they break it costs money.... it's not a financial reason at all.

It is a discipline reason, boot camp is designed to teach you to do as you are ordered, you receive orders before you leave, you will execute those orders. in the end you will know if you felt like quiting for any reason that your reasons to quit were unfounded and you now have more confidence in your abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post

as far as finances goes... it cost money to send someone through recruit training... keeping them there costs money as well... recycling costs money too... if they are fat it costs money... if they break it costs money.... it's not a financial reason at all.
    But, it still cost to part-train a recruit then drop them. The Marine Corps has paid to recruit them, send them to MEPS (twice if you're in the DEP), ship you to recruit training then train you for however many weeks before they drop you. Let's say you quit at weeks six.

The Marine Corps still needs to fill that position so they incur the cost of doing all that over again, but are only getting one Marine for the price of two (or close to the price of two).

Again, for one Marine, you're paying the initial costs twice when a recruit is dropped.

And dropping a recruit back a week or two because they can't shoot, or sending them to the pork chop platoon for a month, still has to be cheaper in the long run then going through the entire recruiting and shipping process again.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I can think of quite a few schools in the Marines where the instructors are under zero pressure to graduate anyone ... If he don't cut the mustard then bye. Boot camp is not one of those schools.

Instead of giving a drill instructor carte blanche to say this kid just is not what we are looking for they are questioned on their training techniques if someone bombs out.

AIN'T
    READY to be
    MARINE
    YET

I think I found out some good information on this subject.

# Of Woman in Armed Force / % Of Woman in Armed Force

Army 70,918 / 13.7
    Enlisted 57,825 / 13.4
    Officers 12,459 / 14.7

Navy 50,904 / 15.0
    Enlisted 42,400 / 15.0
    Officers 7,649 / 14.8

Marine C. 11,150 / 6.0
    Enlisted 10,049 / 6.1
    Officers 1,101 / 5.6

Air Force 68,600 / 20.3
    Enlisted 54,957 / 20.7
    Officers 12,836 / 18.9

In every branch females have a higher washout rate than males. Marines have a significantly less females then any other branch which effects their overall washout % as a branch.

The washout rate is 11% Male and 20% Female.

Thread Information