Will I be ready?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will I be ready?

I ship in 35 days and have been semi training for a few months, I pass the IST with 5 pull ups, 10:22 1 1/2 mile run, 78 crunches in 2 mintues. I know is pretty crappy but it's passing so far.

This Thursday is my last day at work. I quit so I can start training throughout the day. Basically will 35 days be enough to get in proper shape beyond my IST scores? I am 6'2 1/2'' 175lbs if that is relevant at all...

-abailey

According to the chart for the Marine Corps, with those numbers, you have a 79% chance of being ready for bootcamp.

Well damn...

Is 35 days enough to significantly increase that percentage?

Look, no matter what your IST scores or whatever you won't ever be FULLY prepared, the mental part is very difficult so I have heard. Many people have written on here that the PT part of boot camp isn't even the worst, I leave on Monday and my IST is nowhere near perfect besides my flex arm hang, so I am making up for that with knowing the general orders, rank structure, history, 14 leadership traits etc...you want to be prepared for boot camp? Read that booklet they give you for entering the DEP and look around this site at all the other tips.

Your IST seems fine, we had a guy leave who could do 44 crunches going in, 3 pull ups, and a 12 minute run time...he is graduating this friday. So if you feel like you can do it, then you can....most of it is mental.

Thanks bekster. I do read my knowledge, and I know I can't fully be prepared for the mental part and everything. I just don't want to struggle physically. Know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    According to the chart for the Marine Corps, with those numbers, you have a 79% chance of being ready for bootcamp.
    Do those charts account for Black Flag days now?

Credits
    Savings
    Do your best to improve what you can before you leave, make sure you rest and enjoy the time you have with family and friends. Preparation is good, Motivation is even better!

If you bring your situps to 100 that percentage will go to 91% chance.

Bottom line...the question "Will I be Ready" can only be answered by YOU!!!

The physical side of Boot Camp is only 50% of the challenge.

Gunz out ~

Well, I am doing 7 or 8 pullups, 72 crunches, and i have just accomplished my goal of passing the run part of the ist with 13:29. i have busted my ass to get to 13:29 from where i was. Try telling me Im not ready to go, and i may agree with you. I leave in six days. However try telling me Im going to fail, and I will prove you wrong. Its not about being 100 percent ready, no one ever is. I WILL NOT FAIL. Will the physical part be a little harder for me than others? Probably. Will I let that stop me. Hell no! Theres a minimum for a reason. Its so that you can get there and improve. I have goals to reach in boot camp, and I will make it.

I got this from a friend who got it from a website lol:

Instructional Time (The Crucible / Combat Water Survival / Weapons and Field Training): 279.5 hours
    Core Values/Academics/Values Reinforcement: 41.5
    Physical Fitness: 59
    Close Order Drill: 54.5
    Field Training: 31
    Close Combat Training: 27
    Conditioning Marches: 13
    Administration: 60
    Senior DI Time (nightly free time): 55.5
    Movement Time: 60
    Sleep: 479
    Basic Daily Routine: 210
    Chow: 179
    Total: 1518 hours

So, I don't know how accurate it is, but you think you can handle that?

Quote Originally Posted by bekster2008 View Post
    I got this from a friend who got it from a website lol:

Instructional Time (The Crucible / Combat Water Survival / Weapons and Field Training): 279.5 hours
    Core Values/Academics/Values Reinforcement: 41.5
    Physical Fitness: 59
    Close Order Drill: 54.5
    Field Training: 31
    Close Combat Training: 27
    Conditioning Marches: 13
    Administration: 60
    Senior DI Time (nightly free time): 55.5
    Movement Time: 60
    Sleep: 479
    Basic Daily Routine: 210
    Chow: 179
    Total: 1518 hours

So, I don't know how accurate it is, but you think you can handle that?
    Yeah right!

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    Yeah right!

Haha, yeah that was a number that stood out to me also, and the basic daily routine, but then I suppose 8 hours of sleep and 78 training days, that actually calculates to 632 hours but due to lack of sleep in the crucible and receiving, firewatch...etc. I guess they put it as 479 hours

I do want to know what they mean by basic daily routine...perhaps quarterdecks and cleaning?

Thanks for the input guys!

Second question...I went to the MCRDSD website and saw the latest graduating Marines and saw that it showed a guy as HIGH SHOOTER (335). What does that mean besides he got a great shooting score?

Does he get some kind of extra medal or anything out of boot or is that just basically recognizing him?

They're just recognizing him. He doesn't get anything special. We're not the Army where you get 14 ribbons when you graduate. He'll just have the Expert Rifle Badge, same as anyone else that shot over 220.

His score will count towards his promotion to Cpl though it won't give him that much more than the rest.

Thread Information