Marine Aviation
Create Post

Thread: Marine Aviation

Marine Aviation

Here are a few from a civilian aiming for a seat at flight school; details are unimportant. The questions are:

-How readily is the AH-1 Cobra activated for service overseas these days?

-Same question, for the UH-1 Huey.

-What is modern service like for attack/utility helicopter pilots in the Marine Corps?

Some sources I've found suggest the models are obsolete, and on their way out. Other sources indicate that the entire fleet of UH-1 and AH-1 models is being upgraded to meet the needs of modern warfare. So, what's the unbiased truth?

The AH-1 is probably the most commonly used close air support aircraft the corps is using right now. F-18's and Harriers are meant more for hard targets and buildings. F-18 pilots have GOT to be bored as **** in Afghanistan, just flying around all day with nothing to drop bombs on. Cobras are effective against buildings in an urban environment to root out insurgents.

As far as I know, there are no plans to replace those air craft. They work, they're reliable, and here at Pensacola there are ALOT of guys getting orders for those aircraft. Me personally, fingers are crossed for Ospreys or C-130's, each for different reasons.

The fleet of AH-1s and UH-1s are being upgraded to the AH-1Z and the UH-1Y. On the AH-1Z they now have wingtip stations for weapons such as the sidewinder and also has two more stations for rocket or missile pods. the UH-1Y has an upgraded powertrain along with an increased payload and range. There's other differences but I'm getting tired of writing. Someone else can tell you the rest if you really want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneTheWeak View Post
    The AH-1 is probably the most commonly used close air support aircraft the corps is using right now. F-18's and Harriers are meant more for hard targets and buildings. F-18 pilots have GOT to be bored as **** in Afghanistan, just flying around all day with nothing to drop bombs on. Cobras are effective against buildings in an urban environment to root out insurgents.

As far as I know, there are no plans to replace those air craft. They work, they're reliable, and here at Pensacola there are ALOT of guys getting orders for those aircraft. Me personally, fingers are crossed for Ospreys or C-130's, each for different reasons.
    There is more information in these few sentences than I found on the subject while scouring the internet.

Can anyone else get some similar information on the UH-1? Are they still actively or readily used for general duty overseas? With as much ordnance as they're loading onto these machines, I figure they've still got plans for them.

Are they readily used for general duty overseas?

I saw both constantly every day I've been in Iraq so far. (6 months, 3 weeks, and 4 days)

Thread Information