Urgent enlistment bonus and ship date question
Create Post

Urgent enlistment bonus and ship date question

Very Important and urgent Marines, my recruiter called me today and told me my ship date was moved up to this monday from may 11 and that i have to take it or I will lose my mos designation and enlistment bonus is this true? I dont want to take this date because it doesnt leave me time to get married can anybody help me

Get married after you get to your first duty station. Go to bootcamp now. Why do you want to get married and then spend the next 6 months to a year depending on your mos being away from your new wife.

Im a reservist

Its probably true, but its a decision you have to make. We can't tell you what to do, you have to decide.

Credits
    Savings
    PM me her number and I will attempt to console her into waiting.

Think with the head on your shoulders, not between your legs! I've been married to the same lady for over 51 years, but it was never easy leaving. We were married 5 days and I shipped to Rosy Roads for 3 months. Back to Miami and lived together from April to June, then off to the far east for 16 months. Wishing all this time I had waited till I got out of The Corps to marry!! You must never forget that your first marriage is to The Corps - -I don't care if you say you are Reserve.

All of this advice and $1.50 will get you a cold beer at Paddy McGee's here in Union City!! LMAO

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    PM me her number and I will attempt to console her into waiting.
    HAHAHAHAHA! I knew you or Jack would ask for it first.

Wow, kinda bull**** you get an enlistment bonus and your a reservist. Being a boot 0311 should ****ing deserve an enlistment bonus.

Sorry about the post above, had a bad day. Delete it please.

I personally don't think that any bonuses should be offered for initial enlistments. I agree with bonuses for re-enlistment, but not for entry into the Corps. People shouldn't be motivated by money to join, it should be about pride, challenge, and all that other good stuff.

I agree in part to this theory. I think an individual who is married or has children and decides to enlist should be allowed some type of bonus to help. As we all know, PFC's don't make much as it is so I think a little compensation would be beneficial to those who really need it.

Now, I don't agree with giving some 18 year old who doesn't have any idea about life outside of his bedroom at home with mom and dad, a $10,000 pay day and saying welcome to the Corps. That's when you get privates rolling around in Lexus' and Hummers on car loans at 47.99% interest.

I don't think poolees deserve bonuses, period. They haven't done anything for the Corps yet, therefore I really do not think they should be paid those large sums. I think if anyone deserves the money, it is the real Marines. They should be focused on joining for honorable reasons, not for money. Re-enlistment bonuses are fine.

I can understand Marines who are married and/or have a kid(s) need a little extra to get by, as Pvt/Pfc Pay really isn't much. But they do get other kickers, such as BAH and all the other goodies married Marines get. I don't care too much for the married Marines, because their wife should be able to work if they are in a financial bind (that's if their marriage lasts that long). But for the Marine who has a kid(s), then I can sympathize with that- not too opposed to bonuses for them.

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    I don't care too much for the married Marines, because their wife should be able to work if they are in a financial bind (that's if their marriage lasts that long).
    Please tell me you're not serious when you said this? You're actually going to say that a dependant mother, married not just to a Marine but to the Corps itself doesn't have the right to be a stay at home mom, even if money is tight? I think that's even more of a reason to provide them increased bonuses/extra pay for dependants.

As for the, "if their marriage lasts that long" comment, that's a cheap shot at every married Marine out there. You really need to think about what you say and how you word it Sgt because lately, your posts have been coming off as ridiculous, uncaring, asinine and just plain dumb. If that's all you can come up with, then that's pretty sad and just goes to show what type of Marine you really are.

Bonus's are at the Corps discretion. The Combat Arms Bonus is used to get Marines to enlist in a MOS that takes skill and are hard to fill either due to risk. They do not pay the Bonus up front. The Bonus is payed usually in monthly installments and only after completion of the MOS training and if for any reason you do not finish the full term of your contract obligations (in Amphibious Assault Passing Annual PFT, Range And Surf Survival) You lose the Bonus and have to pay it back as a breach of contract. So yes it is fair and the Marines who have these MOS's deserve it. They are always deployable and have different hardships than the norm.

You got me wrong 0231Marine. I stated that Marines who have children deserve the bonuses more than single or married Marines. Yes, I believe that a wife (no kid(s)) who is able to work should work if money gets tight. I never stated anything against a stay-at-home mother. If they have a kid(s), give them the bonus.

I have seen too many marriages fail in the Corps, particularly with Pvt-LCpl. Most wives do not understand the commitments of military life, and thus most marriages do not last. I call it like I see it. Some marriages do make it, but from what I have seen, most do not.

And yes, my comments probably have become more negative lately. I've been stuck overseas and haven't had the opportunity to take a day of leave in 2 years (haven't seen family either in that time). Maybe when the Corps finally lets me go home for a few days, maybe my positive/helpful comments will return. It's just what happens when you sacrifice your freedoms for the Corps. Sorry, having a bad day... been having quite a few of those lately. Semper Fi

Thread Information