Seeking Marine guidance
Create Post

Seeking Marine guidance

Marines-

I'm seeking some advice on recruitment.

First, I'm a '08 college grad - top 20 university. 99% asvab score. From an Army family. Always wanted to serve in the military; never considered the Corps until recently.

1) From what I've read, I plan on telling the recruiter that I want to enlist in the reserves (or maybe active), go to boot, serve my first deployment, then apply for OCS. By then I would likely know if I was capable of being an officer, and if I should. I like the legitimacy that comes with being a Mustang as well.

However, I got a call two days ago from a SSGT recruiting for the Officer Selection Team. That got me thinking, would it be a misallocation of resources for me NOT to go in as an officer? I'd like your thoughts before I meet with him.

2) I'd like to fight with the best, and that's the Marines, but it sounds like 03 jobs are tough to come by. Would it be any easier to guarantee an 03 assignment as an officer? That's a question for the recruiter, just wondering if anyone knew anything.

Ideally, I'd like what is best for the Corps and what is best for me to be the same.

Become an officer. You're half-way there. You can gain some valuable experience as an enlisted Marine first but, you'll make up for most of that sooner or later.

You can actually pick your general field as an enlisted Marine. The Marine Corps pics for commissioned officers. So while you have a wish list, they'll put you where they need you based on their need and your scores in TBS.

The Marine Corps likes to even out the good, bad and ugly and give every MOS a little of it all.

I would go sit down and have a serious talk with the Office Selection Office in your area.

Stick around, I'm sure one of the officers on this site will be in to give you more in-depth info.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by byrnemm View Post
    Marines-

I By then I would likely know if I was capable of being an officer, and if I should.
    I like that idea and in fact is probably the best approach I've heard from a poolee or hopeful yet.

However, I got a call two days ago from a SSGT recruiting for the Officer Selection Team. That got me thinking, would it be a misallocation of resources for me NOT to go in as an officer? I'd like your thoughts before I meet with him.
    Don't let them throw that crap at you. Service is service as long as you fulfill your obligations.

2) I'd like to fight with the best, and that's the Marines, but it sounds like 03 jobs are tough to come by. Would it be any easier to guarantee an 03 assignment as an officer? That's a question for the recruiter, just wondering if anyone knew anything.

Ideally, I'd like what is best for the Corps and what is best for me to be the same.

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Just talk to everyone and weigh your options. Good luck to you.

OK...I've never been to OCS nor never wanted to although I had the scores to do so.

From what I've heard, OCS is every bit as tough and possibly harder in some respects than enlisted boot-camp. Regardless, when you graduate either OCS or the enlisted boot-camp, you are a basically trained Marine or Marine Officer...that's it.

Officer's are in a constant learning cycle just like us...they make mistakes just like enlisted Marines do..they listen to Marine's they respect and learn from them. Every successful officer will say that having a well trained and knowledgeable enlisted section is a must for success...we all depend upon each other. It's what Marine's do.

I'd say forego the enlisted side of the house...go for it...you have nothing to lose but everything to gain in this endeavor. Either way, you're going to have to give 110% and DI's are at OCS also I believe (both officer and Enlisted).

Don't be naive and do it for the wrong reasons...do it because you want to lead Marine's...and not necessarilly in combat...leadership is leadership...don't have ideas of glory in the streets of Iraq...that gets Marine's dead.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    DO NOT PASS UP OCS,,,,,,,,,,,,got that?? Just my opinion.....

Thank you for the advice SSgt and all the other replies.

The biggest appeal of the enlisted route is choosing your own MOS. I'll definitely bring this up with the recruiter.

I had a phone conversation with my mom the other night. She and my dad were both officers in the Medical Service Corps of the Army. I told her that I was considering enlisting or go the officer route. Her advice was to be an officer because I'm capable of that responsibility and therefore I should be one; that the military needs good officers. She also said that if the military is good at one thing, it is training. You will be adequately trained to do your job.

There's nothing like your 53-year-old mom laying the wisdom smack-down on you to make things click in your head.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Follow your heart and young mind would be my suggestion. I like your attitude and your potential for leadership shows. If I were your age I would go enlisted and learn what they dont instruct at PLC/OCS. Leadership of Marines can be a tough beer to get opened and you get an awesome snap shot of the best and the worst that way. I myself would follow a Mustang Officer any where just based on my humble experience with them. The fact that you are even asking Marines shows that this is tasking you to be the very best Marine that you can become. Good luck in your question and your quest.

Bless You Patriot

Jim

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Pilots and infantry officers seem to top the wish list of most. It is my understanding that if you graduate TBS in the top 10% of your class that you do indeed get to pick your MOS. Not a complete dice roll if you do not finish at the top of the class you still have a wish list and many get what they request.

Im currently finishing up my second tour in Iraq. And my Platoon Commander was former enlisted and went officer. He is the best officer I have ever served under and I really admire him for his knowledge and how he looks out for his Marines. I was proud to be an NCO under him and take charge of the communications for the platoon and himself. I think its great to have former enlisted go officer. I think it gives them a good idea of how to better lead, and they know what both sides views on everything is. Mustangs are great for the Corps. More power to ya.

Yes, the military needs good officers, that is true. However, remember that the Marine Corps puts more emphasis on small unit leadership then the Army does. I'm not saying commissioned officers are not important, because of course they are vital. I just want to impress upon you that good NCOs are maybe even more vital to the mission. Sure, the officers call the shots about who is going where and that sort of thing, but it is more commonly the NCOs that are usually carrying out those shots.

One of my 1st Lieutenants is clearly a Mustang, and we all have tremendous respect for the man. He doesn't take sh*t from anyone and understands and empathizes with his Marines. He puts a high amount of trust in his NCOs, rather than trying to take over everything with an iron fist, like I've seen a few 2nd Lieutenants who are not Mustangs do.

I recommend the Mustang route. Almost any enlisted Marine will tell you the same thing. I am not exaggerating in the least when I tell you enlisted Marines can pick a Mustang out of a crowd of officers. They stand out to us, and almost always in good ways.

Thank you for continuing to read and respond - I am still here and reading.

I've spoken with the enlisted recruiter and the officer recruiter. All three of us had the same idea. Te idea right now is to enlist in the reserves and go the mustang route.

Again, thank you all for your valued opinions.

Credits
    Savings

I've spoken with the enlisted recruiter and the officer recruiter. All three of us had the same idea. Te idea right now is to enlist in the reserves and go the mustang route.

Good luck to you..just make sure that while enlisted you are committed to that and nothing else. Make sure not to view your time in the ranks as a mere stepping stone to Commissioned Greatness. Not saying you would do this, and in fact, you seem pretty level headed. Just another pitfall to avoid. Good luck,

absolutely, PaidinBlood. Right now my level of effectual responsibility is paying bills, my 8-5 job, taking care of my dog, and exercising when I can. In other words, a damn long way from being responsible for the lives of Marines. I'll be sure to take it one step at a time.

If you are looking at being an active mustang, go active enlisted. Most reserve enlisted Marines don't get the challenge that an active duty Marine gets. Some of the reserve stations out there has a very relaxed attitude. If you plan on being an active duty mustang officer..... first be an active duty enlisted Marine. I had to work with a mustang once that was enlisted in the reserves. He thought he was Gods gift to the Corps. He was the biggest waste of sperm I have ever had to deal with. He thought he knew everything about being an enlisted Marine. He was sadly mistaken and later relieved of duties while in Iraq. Now, if you are planning on staying in the reserves after you complete an enlistement as a reservist, then more power to you. The reserves needs good officers too.

Thank you for the advice SSgt and all the other replies.

The biggest appeal of the enlisted route is choosing your own MOS. I'll definitely bring this up with the recruiter.

I had a phone conversation with my mom the other night. She and my dad were both officers in the Medical Service Corps of the Army. I told her that I was considering enlisting or go the officer route. Her advice was to be an officer because I'm capable of that responsibility and therefore I should be one; that the military needs good officers. She also said that if the military is good at one thing, it is training. You will be adequately trained to do your job.

There's nothing like your 53-year-old mom laying the wisdom smack-down on you to make things click in your head.
    remember even if you go enlisted you may not get the MOS you want the needs of the Marine Corps comes first

Thread Information