How much do you make a year?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much do you make a year?

I know its not alot but, I want get a general idea of how much money I will be making. How much did you make your first and second year? Including allowance and hazard pay or whatever its called. Thanks for any information you have.

Are you married or single?

An E-1 with under 4 months in service is paid $1203.90 per month. An E-1 with over 4 months service makes $1301.40. An E-2 with under 2 years in service makes $1458.90. An E-3 with under 2 years in service makes $1534.20

Any other money depends on whether you're married or single and where you are stationed.

Assuming you are single and a PFC in less than two years:

1458.90 will be your base pay before taxes.
    7.20 will be given to you for BAH partial. (non taxible)
    279.88 will be given to you for BAS (non taxible)

Then come the deductions, these are approximations:
    135 for federal taxes
    84 for social security
    20 for medicare
    28 for SGLI
    1 for TSGLI
    238 for DMR (your meal card)
    .50 for USN/USMC retirement home
    100 for the first year goes to your GI Bill

So you will make approximately 1139.48 a month, or 570 a paycheck. This is without any state tax, as I don't have a clue what the taxes are in your state. Also, there are a few other deductions that are not in their as they are optional: TSP, Savings Bonds, CFC Contributions, ect.

If you go to a combat zone, you will be tax exempt, and if I remember correctly, hazardous duty pay is $225. Though I heard it might have gone down.

If you are married it changes because you get BAH based on your zip code, and you will get to keep all the BAS monthly. Also, when you get separated from the wifey you get Family Separation Allowance which is 250 a month.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    An E-1 with under 4 months in service is paid $1203.90 per month. An E-1 with over 4 months service makes $1301.40. An E-2 with under 2 years in service makes $1458.90. An E-3 with under 2 years in service makes $1534.20

Any other money depends on whether you're married or single and where you are stationed.
    Way better than $123/month I got as an E-1 over four months.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36
    Way better than $123/month I got as an E-1 over four months.
    True...but how much did gas cost? lol

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DIBLO7
    True...but how much did gas cost? lol
    Who cared? Gas could have been five cents a gallon (it was higher), but I couldn't afford a car and insurance on $123/mo. My first regular bi-monthly paycheck was $65 (as a PFC). I didn't even make $500/mo as a sergeant.

If remember correctly, a PFC couldn't register a car on base at the time anyway (1971). I think you had to be at least a corporal.

I never owned a car until I was 24 years old and after I was out of active duty.

Fair enough.

They have made the pay a whole lot more competitive in the past decade or so. I'm definately not complaining.

According to mol.usmc.mil and my Personal Statement of Military Compensation with all benefits included I make $40,888.87 a year.

E-3 w/dependents.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That ain't bad money for not having to pay medical insurance and/or bills, dental insurance and/or bills, for housing, for food, for utilities. The ONLY bill I had was a $169/month car payment (bought me a car before I headed to CA after my A School) - the rest I drank up, spent up, burned up......................but, I had a good time!

That stupid thing lies too. I don't remember how much it was, but they tried to claim a barracks room was worth about $1000/month when you considered they were claiming the value was something close to $500/month for each person. I could have found a heck of a house for $1000, and we wouldn't have had to share a bathroom with the people next door.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    and we wouldn't have had to share a bathroom with the people next door.
    Didn't ya hate that?

An E-1 with under 4 months in service is paid $1203.90 per month.
    righteous bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Didn't ya hate that?
    It was only REALLY bad when we had a guy that always peed on the toilet seat. For a short time we had someone living next to us that had a hispanic girlfriend. I don't think I ever saw her- but they liked to have fun in the shower and she quit speaking English when she was having a really good time.

I'm single btw. Thanks for the info.

Thread Information