Basic Housing Allowance? Help
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Basic Housing Allowance? Help

I am a new marine who also is newly married and can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone on this. I am home on leave for a couple more days and then reporting in to MCT for the next month. We have all the paperwork and all but when will the pay for housing allowance and such kick-in? I was told to report to MCT and get the information filed to start receiving but every person seems to tell me something different. And right now it'd be nice to get some more pay as soon as possible.

Does anyone know when I'll start receiving paying for housing and such or have experience w/this? Will be reporting in on the 21st and hopefully getting everything sorted there but would like to know beforehand. Any help or guidance would be appreciated..

It'll take a couple of pay periods. It all depends on your admin section and how fast they move and then how fast DFAS moves.

I think it took us close to two months to receive ours.

Congrats on earning the title and the new marriage. Be very tender and understanding when it comes to your wife. You're a boot and life is crappy for your kind for the first two years or so. Don't let it wreak havoc on your marriage.

And, while you're at it, fill out your profile so we can learn a little more about you.

Did you get married before or after boot camp?

If you bring all the paper work to MCT it will kick by the time that you leave probably the first pay check. I just went through the same situation.

Thanks for the help. Got married during leave after boot. Was supposed to before boot but got shipped 5 months early and only had a 2 day notice from the time the recruiter called till I was at MCRD. Will work on the profile too so that's for that tip as well. I figure it'll be hard but just gonna do whatever it takes. Thanks guys.

Like Psurichie said, bring all your paperwork to MCT and they'll hook you up there.

Depending on when admin runs the paperwork is when you'll get paid. It depends on the U&E cycle. If you get in before a U&E you'll get paid sooner, if not later. However, if it does happen to be later you will get a real fat check for the back pay. Also, until you finish all your schools you will recieve BAH for the zip code of your wife. Your situation is not a unique one, and the admin guys at MCT should be able to answer your questions regarding when you'll start to see your money.

I'm just gonna take a stab in the dark and say you won't recieve it till MOS school, though it will be back dated. And DFAS won't have anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    I'm just gonna take a stab in the dark and say you won't recieve it till MOS school, though it will be back dated.
    Since when?

Quote Originally Posted by Alisium View Post
    Since when?
    Since when what???

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Since when what???
    Since when is DFAS not involved in pay?

DFAS is involved in pay, but at a much different level. His pay is going to be handled by a finance office on whichever coast he goes to MCT on (most likely). If he goes east it'll be handled by Lejuene's F/O. If he goes west it'll be taken care of by Pendleton's F/O.

And if for some strange reason it had to be taken care of in the midwest it still wouldn't go to DFAS, it would go to the finance office in Belton, MO (about 10 miles south of KC). It's very common for Marines to think this FO is actually DFAS, but that will change soon, once they realize that DFAS has actually moved to Cleveland and the KC finance office is about to move to New Orleans.

Honesty, while local disbursing office is the one responsible for paying the Marine, arguing about DFAS is kind of getting into the semantics of the whole thing. All the Marine wants is to get paid, who cuts the check is irrelevant.

Yes, to some admin or finance guys it is important, but for the general Marine Corps I really doubt that they will understand that DFAS has moved, nor will they care as long as they get paid.

Bottom line, bring your paperwork to MCT, the admin guys will hook you up and you'll get paid sometime soon.

Well, since our goal here is to try to make Marines feel better about their pay, I'll also point out that he doesn't have to wait on U&E, since payrolls go out every single day before noon.

I don't deal with reserve pay, but I'm about 101% sure you won't be eligible...like your recruiter already told you.

You will get BAH in the reserves but it's prorated and based on your drills, so it's not really much at all.

I received it until we found out that my wife and I both can't draw BAH simultaneously. Since she was still active we went with hers.

Thread Information