Family Military History
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Family Military History

Since its Easter, a lot of my older family came up to celebrate. It included my grandpa and grandma, great uncles, etc., and we got on the subject of my old family relatives and the service back in WWI, WWII, Korean War, and Nam and I just wanted to say how motivated it made me. I don't care if they were in other services besides the Marines, it still made me want to be in the military even more. I would be honored to continue to fight for my fathers before me have fought for. And it just really touched me when my grandma got on the subject of her uncle in France during World War one and all the fight he saw, then dying from the after effects of gas. And my dad telling me a couple stories of his Vietnam days. It was just a good time we had talking about the different people in my family and what wars they were involved in and how things have changed.

Sorry for the long rant, I just thought I could give us something new to talk about and for other Marines/Poolees to share if maybe they felt the same way.

Thanks.

P.S. I got my ship date pushed forward to 20090616!!

I wish I had a lineage like that. I have a cousin that's a Marine that tried to talk me out of joining. Everyone else in the family is supportive or is at least coming to accept the fact that I joined.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My family had quite a military history that dates back to the Revolution going all the way until Korea. No on since then before myself has served.

you are starting a tradition for your own family tree. future marines or someother branch of service. so from my grandfathers, father, uncle, brother,nephew, my self and my son who is servering in iraq now welcome.

Both Grandfather's were Marines during WWII - One was on Iwo Jima and the other fought in the Island Hopping Campaign

Grandfather's Brother on my dad's side was an crew chief on a bomber in WWII that was shot down and he died on impact

Both parents were Marines but served during peace time

My wife and I are both Marines (She's still active duty)

3rd Generation Marine on both sides of my family! Ooo-rah!

Quote Originally Posted by gonepostal View Post
    you are starting a tradition for your own family tree. future marines or someother branch of service. so from my grandfathers, father, uncle, brother,nephew, my self and my son who is servering in iraq now welcome.
    Marines and Iraq are capitalized there Devil!

My family military history goes back to WWII as far as I know. My grandfather was in the Navy in WWII fighting in the South Pacific. One uncle was in Korea, the other Vietnam. My other grandfather was an Air Force officer in Vietnam, my real dad was in the Army during the Vietnam era. I served during OEF and my brother is a Marine who just got back from Iraq.

Credits
    Savings
    I have an uncle that died in Korea for the Corps, two cousins that served in Vietnam for the Corps, and another uncle that served the Corps.

The only uncle that I know really really well served in the Army and is THRILLED I'm going into the Marines!

Everyone else in the family thinks its still like amphibious' during WWII and I'll be shot 5 minutes into a deployment. But they're proud. I'm sure their will be tears shed on July 24th, God willing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez561 View Post
    I wish I had a lineage like that. I have a cousin that's a Marine that tried to talk me out of joining. Everyone else in the family is supportive or is at least coming to accept the fact that I joined.

get into genealogy and you might find out that they were... though none of the relatives you know I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    Both Grandfather's were Marines during WWII - One was on Iwo Jima and the other fought in the Island Hopping Campaign

Grandfather's Brother on my dad's side was an crew chief on a bomber in WWII that was shot down and he died on impact

Both parents were Marines but served during peace time

My wife and I are both Marines (She's still active duty)

3rd Generation Marine on both sides of my family! Ooo-rah!

hahaha, nice... and now it all funneled to just the two of you... so what... you can't let your kids marry a non military family spouse... it'd ruin everything!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    hahaha, nice... and now it all funneled to just the two of you... so what... you can't let your kids marry a non military family spouse... it'd ruin everything!!!
    LOL...well, when we do have kids, it's obviously not going to be mandatory that they join. I'll let them make their own decision but if I had to do it all over again, I would have stayed in college and then came in as an officer. I have a buddy that I went to college with...I dropped out after 9/11 happened and enlisted, he stayed and got his degree. Now he's a Captain flying jets...hate the son of a b!tch for that but he's still a good friend of mine.

My lineage contains no Marines but had a graandfather who was a doughboy in WWI. My fathers brother was WWII Army and landed at Normandy on D-Day. My father was USN 1943-1947 flew Helldivers off the USS Hollandia during WWII, 1947- 1965 USAF, stationed at Pusan in Korean Conflict, as a crew chief flew into Saigon in '62 and 63,requested Vietnam tour in '64 and was denied because of age and too many kids so he retired. This generation we had my sister in the USAF and my youngest brother, an '83 graduate of the USMA West Point, left the Army in ' as a Major selectee.

My parents' families came to America shortly following the end of World War I. My military heritage includes: My Dad who served as a Marine from 1943 to 1955; two uncles who served in the Army during World War Two; an uncle who served in the Navy during World War Two; an uncle who served in the Marine Corps from 1955 to 1958, and; my kid-brother who served as a Marine from 1978 to 1984.

I guess I'm only 2nd generation here....my Grandfather was a Canadian national from Bathurst NB Canada.

The story goes...he was a part of a big family...lots of siblings...his dad was like a Sheriff or constable and owned a family farm. He was out plowing the field one day with a team of horses, the horses were uncooperative, and he shot and killed them. In fear of his father and life, he fled "South" to Maine and met my Grandmother who was already a widow to her husband and child who died of TB.

I don't think he could read or write well, I've seen some of his military papers and he signed his name with a "X". My dad thinks he was dyslexic...I dunno...I was very young when he passed away.

Anywho, WW I was raging, and the Army had a deal that if you joined and fought for the Country, if you lived, upon discharge you'd be a citizen. He did this and joined the horse calvery....and was on a boat bound for France when the Armistice was signed. He returned and was discharged and had his citizenship then started his family of 11, my dad being the youngest.

My mom's dad served in the Army in Germany during WW II. I wihs I knew more about him and his service, but all those records were destroyed in the fire in St Louis in the early 70's.

All my family has been Army or Air Force.. I cant wait to earn the title and be the first Marine in my family.

Thread Information