Crunches
Create Post

Thread: Crunches

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Crunches

I just had my Pool Function yesterday and during the IST i got 63 crunches, which is five more then last time, so i was happy. The problem i have is when we do them, it feels like a muscle or tendon or something in both thighs begin to hurt really bad. It always happens before my abs actually fatigue. so i was wondering if anyone knows what i'm talking about and if there are any stretches for that part of my leg. if i could get it to stop hurting i know i could pump out more crunches.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I think I know what your talking about. Try this stretch. Take a knee and keep the other at a right angle. Place your hands on the knee of the right angle leg and push your whole body up. You should feel a stretch in the thigh of the leg with the knee on the ground. Try that and see if it does you any good. I think that works the area your talking about.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Butterfly stretch

I think the same thing happens to me also. Its hurts right were your pants sit right?? More on the inside of your thigh, i beleive its called the groin.

Try doing some Butterfly streches (Learned these in wrestling)... If you do them right, they might help you out a little bit also

Stretch better, and tell your partner to actually hold your legs. If your thighs hurt, they aren't hiding you right.

Stretch better, and tell your partner to actually hold your legs. If your thighs hurt, they aren't holding you right.

Quote Originally Posted by PooleeWickline View Post
    I just had my Pool Function yesterday and during the IST i got 63 crunches, which is five more then last time, so i was happy. The problem i have is when we do them, it feels like a muscle or tendon or something in both thighs begin to hurt really bad. It always happens before my abs actually fatigue. so i was wondering if anyone knows what i'm talking about and if there are any stretches for that part of my leg. if i could get it to stop hurting i know i could pump out more crunches.

You have weak quads.
    Did you do the crunches before or after the run?

Stretch and do more squats and hello dollies.

Credits
    Savings
    make sure you have a person that can properly hold you with his weight. When you have proper support, you need to focus on taking the stress OFF your legs. Most people tense up in their legs when doing crunches because they feel they need to "hold" themselves to the person supporting them.

Also, as recommended, stretch your quads, and groin before doing so. To stretch your groin, sit indian style, but instead of crossing your legs, put the soles of your feet together. Then grab your feet with your hands and place your elbows on your knees. Now push down till you feel it tighten and this will stretch your groin.

Make sure you move your ass as close to your heels as possible. When you're doing a crunch, make sure you're using proper form: Hands grasping biceps, elbows to thighs, shoulderblades touching the ground.

As others have repeated, stretch your quads. If you have a say in your PT excercises (sometimes they are run by Poolee guides) try getting some fireman squats, downhill lunges, and other thigh workouts in to strengthen your upper legs.

Also, I've found that its easier not to pace yourself. Explode as hard and as fast as your can during your timed IST crunches and keep your eyes open. The more your other senses are stimulated (sight, sound, etc.) the more it'll help to take the focus off that delicious burn and the more you can get.

Lastly, remember that you should be able to work your core almost every day. Give one day of rest per week.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    When you guys say "make sure your shoulder blades touch the ground", does that mean touch your "whole" shoulder blades to the ground?, or can you go untill just the bottom of your shoulder blades touch the ground??

Quote Originally Posted by Volcom1117 View Post
    When you guys say "make sure your shoulder blades touch the ground", does that mean touch your "whole" shoulder blades to the ground?, or can you go untill just the bottom of your shoulder blades touch the ground??
    The bottom of the scapula.

Quote Originally Posted by Volcom1117 View Post
    I bet if you practice going all the way down, you'll never have to worry about that

Sit with you legs spread a little bit (you won't be able to do this at Bootcamp probably, but there is no order agianst it), and your ass touching your heals. Push your shoudlers foward, and grab your biceps. You will seriously have like, 3-5 inches to move for a crunch. If you can't get 100 you're wrong. As far as your legs, you just have weak leg muscles. Go to the gym and hit the weights. The Marine Corps style exercises (hello dollies / Squats (only bodyweight) / etc) will only do so much (which isnt much). Hit some serious weight training to build your muscles. You'll be fine.

Volcom, bro.
    Pull-Ups: 18
    Crunches: 73
    3-Mile Run: 23:00 min.

You need to get 100 crunches. Thats 27 given points you are missing out on. If it wasn't for that, you would have a very good pft. Work on that man.

"

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupo22 View Post
    make sure you have a person that can properly hold you with his weight. When you have proper support, you need to focus on taking the stress OFF your legs. Most people tense up in their legs when doing crunches because they feel they need to "hold" themselves to the person supporting them.

Also, as recommended, stretch your quads, and groin before doing so. To stretch your groin, sit indian style, but instead of crossing your legs, put the soles of your feet together. Then grab your feet with your hands and place your elbows on your knees. Now push down till you feel it tighten and this will stretch your groin.
    I think that is the reason why. because everytime someone holds my feet, it feels like it's not right. I'm probably tensing my legs a lot to.

My leg strength isn't actually bad at all. I'm still in high school and i have a weight lifting class and weighted squats and leg press is a big part of the workout the teacher gives us.

they can hold your legs any way you feel comfortable... too many hold them at your calves and not wrapped all the way around your legs... so long as you don't get in the way, you're good (right?????? who's got the order!)

and your quads need more work like the Cpl said earlier... hello dollies, leg lifts and butterfly kicks are a great way to beef up their endurance... if you can do those a hundred times you can do 100 crunches without them getting tired.

Thread Information