Any way to replace Honorable Discharge certificate - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Happened to let some moths out of my wallet and found my DD-217 Certificate Of Service (GPO : 1951---O-935480).

Found this older thread by accident and as I went thru the posts, I thought the DD-217 sounded like what was being discussed, but no one had mentioned it by the number I'm showing.

It is signed on the back by the same officer whose signature was on my DD-214, so I think it was issued at the same time I received my DD-214 rather than some later date. Just passing it on.

I seperated with 6 months left on my commitment and never received anything from the corps. All I have is the DD-214 copy that was handed to me on seperation. I thought the certificates were a thing of the past.

They are not. If you still have time 'on contract' you'll get yours in the mail once it's done.

I had six months of my six years left on separation, however, that was 26 years ago....

Then, it should be in your complete OMPF, which you can request at no charge. It'll come on disc and you can print it out.

Finally got it

Took about a month or so. Was signed by a CWO3. The certificate had a individual serial number on the back. Sorry it took so long for me to post a reply, but this account is under an email address I don't use too often. At any rate, I would like to thank everyone for their help.

OUTstanding sir! Glad it got taken care of!

Couldn't have done it without the help and advice given here.

Again, many thanks!

I had to replace one of mine, this method worked great. I also enjoy the services of a replacement certificate, an active reserve time to complete, use the same method. Parris Island's IPAC is great, they take care of me with a smile...

A bit off topic, but aside from the Honorable Discharge certificate (DD-256), is there a DD-214 discharge form (or its equivalent) issued to Reservists? I only got the discharge certificate in the mail; I didn't receive a document that listed my time, awards, MOS, etc., like what's noted on a DD-214. Do Reservists not get such a form? If so, whom shall I contact for that?

Someone will likely correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, the ONLY DD-214 you get from the reserves is when you end a period of active duty. I know I never got one for my reserve time, ever, until my final one for retirement.

My guess is you'd have to contact NPRC or your branches records section to get a copy of your service records.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in...

I should probably go to the "New Guy" thread and introduce myself, but like a lot of guys that ended up here, I too am looking to get a copy of my Honorable Discharge. My EAS was in March 1983 at which time my unit was deployed to PTA on the Big Island so there was only a skelton crew left a Kaneohe when I checked out. The office pogue that checked me out gave me my DD214 but said my Honorable Discharge would be mailed to me. Well, that was almost 30 years ago and I've never seen it. Must've gotten lost in the mail!!! Fast forward many years; About 5-10 years ago I contacted the Record Center here in St. Louis (I live in the metro area) and was told there was no way I could get a copy of the Honorable Discharge since it is a controlled item. Luckily I found this site and am going to try my luck again using the info in Comment #9.

Semper Fi!!!
    Aaron
    Cpl, USMC
    '79-'83

I'd like to add to this. I was separated medically after 4.5 years of service and never received the "diploma" style Honorable Discharge to hang on the wall. A couple years ago, I went to the e-Vetrecs and sent in a request. What I received was 2 copies of a letter sized Honorable Discharge that looked similar to what orders did when they were printed out. Nothing fancy, just a document. I decided today to try again after I did some searching and found others with a similar dilemma. I found this on ar15.com posted by skygod:
    Dunno about you guys, but after my terminal leave and my IRR service was up I never got my Honorable Discharge certificate. Today I decided to get this taken care of.

After spending about an hour on hold with St. Louis I finally got the resolution to get a certificate.

First, go here --> Vet Records

Now click the {Launch eVetRecs -- Request Military Records} link.

Next, fill out the forms on the applet that pops up.

On step 2: There isnt a choice to pick discharge certificate on the category of request drop down, just choose personal military history. You have to explain exactly what you are looking for later in the form, in the comments box.

On step3: Choose the type of report you want (doesnt really matter), but proceed to the comments block. The chick from customer service told me to put a few specific things in the comments in order to get your certificate.

Just put something to the effect of "I am requesting a DD 256 (the kind that I can hang on the wall) from your office. I am requesting this because I never received one after my discharge"

Formulate it whatever you think is best, but I bolded the keywords that the customer service chick said was most important, they wont send it if you don't inculde those buzzwords.

Once you get to the end of the form, print it and either fax or mail it in. I fax'd mine so we'll see how long it takes that way.

Hope this helps some of you guys, I know I was pulling my hair out trying to get this done.

I sent in my request today, so we'll see if it works this time!

Semper Fi

just found this (like a dog with a bone)
    Been trying to replace mine which my Squad leader chucked as I was "not a squared away individual" mother F****** yeah well he DID warn me, anyhow, I am trying to regain it for my wall also... National Archives huh, any particular area?
    Got my DD-214 on the way but I now live outside the USA and these idiots don't really know anything here...so where in the NARA?
    Thanks in advance OOHRAH

I r a idjut

uhhh, *looks up*

nvm it looks like the previous post 'splains it all
    Cheers guys Semper Fi

Thread Information