Any way to replace Honorable Discharge certificate - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am curious to see how long its going to take to get mine.

I just got it back in the mail today. Took about a week to get a replacement.
    Outstanding ! Now my wall is complete.

Great!!! That didn't take nearly as long as I expected.

Ok so what if you did 2 years, got an honorable discharge, but it was for medical problems in the fleet? Do you still rate one, ive always wondered never looked into it to much. I have a copy of my SRB there is not one in there, the only thing that says honorable is my DD-214.

Yes, you rate an Honorable. Are you still in the IRR? If so, you won't get it until you totally finish. If not then you should be able to get one. (It won't be in your SRB, it's considered a personal document and not put in there).

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Yes, you rate an Honorable. Are you still in the IRR? If so, you won't get it until you totally finish. If not then you should be able to get one. (It won't be in your SRB, it's considered a personal document and not put in there).
    Negative. I never transferred to the IRR, I was a direct Seperation from Camp Lejuene. Had no obligation to the IRR because it was a Medical Seperation. So would I still rate one? My DD-214 says Discharged, and Character of Service is Honorable.

Yes.

Roger that, who in particular would you write for an Honorable Discharge Cert. I know in my case when I got my MUC, and GWOTSM I had to write to MMMA at Marine Corps Headquaters. I'm not sure if that would be the proper place to write for that though

I believe, if I'm not mistaken, it's the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    I believe, if I'm not mistaken, it's the same place.
    Thanks Brother Sempers!!

Hey there, Fellas.

I found this topic and website via a google-search.

Background:

Enlisted 1992. Was honorably discharged as a Lance Corporal in 1994 due to developing so-called "chondromalacia" in my left knee, e.g. my knee would swell-up like a balloon after PT or long humps. Received 10% "disability rating" by VA. No reserve/IRR obligation followed due to medical nature of discharge.

I received only my DD214 by the pogue who handled my paperwork down at battalion - nothing else was given.

Fast-forward 17 years:

I have a few Marine Corps memorabilia framed and hung on my office wall (Meritorious Mast, Meritorious Promotion, Distinguished Honor Graduate certificate for graduating first in my class from MOS school) because I take great pride in having served.

Had a client - who turned out to be a fellow former-Marine - come in the other day and while sitting around BSing, asked what time of discharge I received because I didn't have an "honorable discharge certificate" or "certificate of appreciation of service" up there on the wall with the other stuff.

I told him I only received a DD214 upon discharge and that I was unaware that I may have rated some other form of paperwork and/or certificate(s).

Does anyone have any thoughts - bright or otherwise - on this matter?

Are the certificates/items referenced above normally given to all of those receiving honorable discharges or are there other stipulations involved, e.g. completing/fulfilling your originally-contracted-for length of enlistment, including all subsequent reserve/IRR time?

Or did the administrative clerk who processed me out simply screw-up and forget to give them to me?

Thanks for your time and candor.

Postscript: My office is near MCAS Miramar here in San Diego; Camp Pendleton is 30 miles north.

HMMM....First, welcome aboard!

You should have gotten an honorable discharge certificate, from what I remember. There is a WM here who was discharged about the same time, with the same sort of issues as you (From Okinawa). She's on here very frequently. PM her and see what she got.

Her name is Softballcatch23

Best of luck!

Thanks for the input.

I filled-out, printed, and mailed the request form from the archives.org link that was posted.

I checked the "other" box and typed in "Honorable Discharge Certificate (*NOT* the DD214)."

We'll see what eventually comes in the mail.

If that fails to produce fruit, I can always try and get on base at Miramar or Pendleton and see what someone there may or may not have to say.

Best,

RR72.

Good deal. Expect an average of 90-120 day wait I'm afraid.

Thread Information