Any way to replace Honorable Discharge certificate
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any way to replace Honorable Discharge certificate

During a recent move my discharge certificate was damaged. Any info on how to get a replacement? Thanks for any info. SEMPER FI

Highly unlikely. The DoD considers your DD-214 to be the official documentation of discharge.

SaltDog: I believe he's actually talking about the Honorable Discharge Certificate, not the DD214 form.

I bet if you wrote your last command and explained what happened and requesting a new one they will probably issue you a new one.

One interesting thing about Discharge Certificates, they are controlled items. By the order, they are supposed to be "double-locked" at all times, and they are serialized on the back of them.

There is supposed to be a logbook maintained with the names of the people they are issued to with the corresponding serial #, if you mess one up you are supposed to write "void" and destroy it.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you are talking about The Honorable Discharge Certificate that has your name on the front with your SSN that you received in the mail after your 6 year commitment ended, or even a copy of your DD214 or any of your service records.

You can request one here like I did.

http://www.archives.gov/

Be prepared to answer a ton of Security questions and you must have a Digital Security Signature Certificate on your computer email program and be prepared to wait a long time, 3-6 months.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

RI nailed it.

Thank you all for the help. I greatly appreciate it! SEMPER FI !

The easiest way to get a replace Honorable Discharge Certificate is to travel to the nearest Marine Corps Installation, go to Admin or IPAC with your DD214 and request a replacement. You will walk out within 30 minutes with one in hand. I had to replace one of mine and this method worked great. I also got a replacement Certificate of Appreciation of Service, the one you get upon the completion of Active Duty with Reserve time left, using this same method. IPAC at Parris Island is great, they took care of me with a smile and thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm gonna take good care of mine,,,don't think I could get Nixon to sign it again.

This is the real way to replace it and I know with absolute confidence. MMS prints you a new one for free! Call 1-800-268-3710 option 3. Fax them a written request to (703)784-5792. Include Name, DOB, SS# sign it and include your mailing address. I just found this out after years of searching!

http://www.archives.gov/research/ord...d-form-180.pdf
    On the form are directions to get anything you need.

Semper Fi Leathernecks

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    ,,,don't think I could get Nixon to sign it again.
    hehehaha that would be "tricky"

Quote Originally Posted by 1833/8486 View Post
    During a recent move my discharge certificate was damaged. Any info on how to get a replacement? Thanks for any info. SEMPER FI
    Thank you for asking this question! My was lost in the mail!!!! All I have is a certified copy of my DD214 -- nothing else and I've always wanted my certificate.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sparkie,did you get a pitcure of tricky Dick also.

I took the advice here -- I lost my original in a fire years ago. Took a while like Rocky said, but I got it not long ago and it was worth the wait. Thanks for the info, Marines

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I took the advice here -- I lost my original in a fire years ago. Took a while like Rocky said, but I got it not long ago and it was worth the wait. Thanks for the info, Marines

Semper Fi
    Bet it looks good on your wall!!!! Right.

Thread Information