Military Used Pigs In Blasts To Test Armor
Create Post

By Tom Vanden Brook, USA TODAY WTKR-TV3

WASHINGTON -- Military researchers have dressed live pigs in body armor and strapped them into Humvee simulators that were then blown up with explosives to study the link between roadside bomb blasts and brain injury.

For an 11-month period that ended in December, researchers subjected pigs and rats to about 200 blasts, according to Pentagon documents and interviews. The explosions have ranged in intensity, wounding some of the pigs and killing others. Roadside bombs are the top killer of U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The research on pigs has determined that body armor does not worsen brain injury, said Jan Walker, a spokeswoman for the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, which conducted the study. The military feared body armor would deflect the force of blasts toward the head and increase the risk of brain injury.

The research also shows that body armor protects troops' lungs and is critical to surviving blasts.

"If use of animal subjects in testing results in our ability to save lives or prevent injury to our troops, we're confident this is the right thing to do," Walker said. Pigs without body armor died from blasts within 24 to 48 hours, while those with armor survived "significantly higher blasts," she said.

Blasting pigs raises "red flags," said Martin Stephens, vice president for animal research issues at the Humane Society of the United States.

"This is a worthy goal, trying to prevent soldiers from being injured by roadside bombs," Stephens said. "I think the relevance of this is highly questionable. People are not pigs."

Col. Geoffrey Ling, who led the study, said pigs are good subjects because their brains are more similar to human brains than those of rats. Pig hearts and lungs are also similar to humans'.

The Pentagon complied with policies that ensure that a minimal number of animals were used in the testing and that they were treated humanely at all times, Walker said.

Scientists discovered details that will help protect troops, said Michael Leggieri, director of the Pentagon's Blast Injury Research Program. "The bottom line to everything we do in this program is to protect the soldier," he said.

DARPA declined to say where the tests had taken place. The next round of the testing is scheduled for later this year.

Stephens called on the Pentagon to end testing on pigs. "Is this the best they can do after several years of losing soldiers to roadside bombs?" he said.

U.S. car companies used live animals, including pigs, for crash tests until the early 1990s. They stopped after protests from animal rights groups, such as People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

(Copyright 2009 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc.)
    http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-milita...,5041991.story

So thats why there has been bacon with every meal at the chow hall.

This is a good thing.
    Better to test armor on live subjects similar to human anatomy then only on crash test dummies.

I say we use members of PETA/liberals in these tests, they're similar in body composition to us

Thats not the only thing we use pigs for, every now and then we get to send a few to a course where they have to keep pigs alive after they've been shot and stabbed... the most recent guys we sent said there is a PETA rep standing there now, not going to do much good though, they kill them afterwards.

Credits
    Savings
    Anyone who has to wonder whether a pig or a United States MARINE is more valuable should just sign up to be a test dummy... I mean, the armor probably works, right? Not like it's made by the lowest bidder or anything....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    I say we use members of PETA/liberals in these tests, they're similar in body composition to us
    I vote for this!

LMFAO!!! Best idea I've heard all year!

Didn't you read the article? They were doing experiments on "brain injury". Peta/liberals wouldn't work for the test, they don't have brains. Obummer might work though, at least he has a pea brain.

Thread Information