Questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions

Questions

Whats the difference between a Grunt, and the 03XX field?

Also can I get a 0311 contract started before I shipout to Boot Camp?

Thanks Poolee Vitale

please!

Please use the search function, or google. Or use your most valuable resource, your recruiter!

But, I will answer your question for you to the best that I can. A "Grunt" is the same thing as 03xx, which is the infantry field. Yes you can get it in your contract, but this specific MOS seems to fill up very fast from what I hear. There is only so many job openings every fiscal year. And I believe the new fiscal year starts in October if I am remember correctly.

Oh, correction. You can not get the specific MOS in your contract unless you are reserves. But you can get 03xx in your contract, which is saying you will get one of the 03 MOS's. Sorry I read your post wrong.

When you get done boot camp you make a wish list of mos's in the infantry field(rifleman, machine gunner, tow gunner) but you get 03xx in your contract. You REALLY need to talk to a recruiter if you dont know these things.

Quote Originally Posted by rg2o3 View Post
    Oh, correction. You can not get the specific MOS in your contract unless you are reserves. But you can get 03xx in your contract, which is saying you will get one of the 03 MOS's. Sorry I read your post wrong.

I am pretty sure your wrong on this, I am not 100% certain but I do believe that if you pick a specific MOS like 0311 or 0321 you will get that unless of course you fail at RIP and BRC for 0321 then you would be dropped back to 0311.

Actually I am forcertain that what I said was true.

My recruiter told me only your mos field is guaranteed. I wish you could pick your exact mos. Since there is mixed info you should ask the Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
    My recruiter told me only your mos field is guaranteed. I wish you could pick your exact mos. Since there is mixed info you should ask the Marines.

If that were true?? Then why would you be guaranteed a spot for Recon with 0321?

I mean this is just what I have been told, I might be wrong and if I am i apologize; but from what I have been told and I pick up about the guaranteed spot for 0321 I am pretty sure you get the specific field you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldridge0311 View Post
    If that were true?? Then why would you be guaranteed a spot for Recon with 0321?

I mean this is just what I have been told, I might be wrong and if I am i apologize; but from what I have been told and I pick up about the guaranteed spot for 0321 I am pretty sure you get the specific field you want.
    You're never guranteed a "spot" in recon, everyone just has the chance to take the Indoc class (provided the physically qualify). Just as a warning, my best friend just graduated the Indoc and Basic Recon Training, he told me at least 10 guys dropped every week.
    Good luck..

Last edited by ChrisWood311; 06-24-09 at 02:34 PM. Reason: addition

Its not a guarentee for recon its a guarentee for a tryout for recon. If you fail then you get dumped into a infentry mos.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWood311 View Post
    You're never guranteed a "spot" in recon, everyone just has the chance to take the Indoc class (provided the physically qualify). Just as a warning, my best friend just graduated the Indoc and Basic Recon Training, he told me at least 10 guys dropped every week.
    Good luck..
    I never said I was doing Recon 0321. I just said that after all i have learned on here bud. Me myself I am looking for a 0311

I never said I was doing Recon 0321. I just said that after all i have learned on here bud. Me myself I am looking for a 0311
    the "Good Luck" was meant more as a "Yeah, I'm definitley never putting myself through that hell" kind of thing lol.

Here's how it works for Active Duty:

Pick the UH program code if it's available.
    Go to Recruit Training
    If you make it and earn the title, you'll go to Infantry Training Battalion at SOI (instead of MCT, since the UH program code puts you in the infantry community, get it?).
    Train at ITB. Somewhere along the way, probably towards the end, they're going to have lines for each 03XX MOS. 0311, 0331, 0341, 0351, you get the idea. They've only got so many spots available for each MOS, and the reservists in your class get their spots first because their MOS is guaranteed. So you get what's left.
    If you want to be 0311, you probably won't have to do anything, because that's going to be what has the majority of spots available.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerOfJustice View Post
    Here's how it works for Active Duty:

Pick the UH program code if it's available.
    Go to Recruit Training
    If you make it and earn the title, you'll go to Infantry Training Battalion at SOI (instead of MCT, since the UH program code puts you in the infantry community, get it?).
    Train at ITB. Somewhere along the way, probably towards the end, they're going to have lines for each 03XX MOS. 0311, 0331, 0341, 0351, you get the idea. They've only got so many spots available for each MOS, and the reservists in your class get their spots first because their MOS is guaranteed. So you get what's left.
    If you want to be 0311, you probably won't have to do anything, because that's going to be what has the majority of spots available.
    Every infantry man wannabe I have come across wants 0311 so what makes you say that would be the most available. Not trying to be a d!ck I was just wondering why you would say that

Quote Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
    Every infantry man wannabe I have come across wants 0311 so what makes you say that would be the most available. Not trying to be a d!ck I was just wondering why you would say that
    It's been said on many threads on this site before, if you want to be an 0311, your most likely going to get it.

Thread Information