Recon Vs. Infantry
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Recon Vs. Infantry

First, I'm going to start by saying I do not want to be recon, and my MOS is not going to be infantry. I searched the site and seen several recon threads, but i none of this aspect I believe. Okay so I was just always curious what makes recon Marines more elite. Besides the obvious that they are extremely physically fit, have great training etc.. I was more curious is how it is different from infantry. Basically what types of training they do to make them more elite than United States Marine Corps. infantry. Sorry if this seems pointless and stupid, I was just curious. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rg2o3 View Post
    First, I'm going to start by saying I do not want to be recon, and my MOS is not going to be infantry. I searched the site and seen several recon threads, but i none of this aspect I believe. Okay so I was just always curious what makes recon Marines more elite. Besides the obvious that they are extremely physically fit, have great training etc.. I was more curious is how it is different from infantry. Basically what types of training they do to make them more elite than United States Marine Corps. infantry. Sorry if this seems pointless and stupid, I was just curious. Thank you.
    One word: mindset.

The training they receive reenforces that mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post
    One word: mindset.

The training they receive reenforces that mindset.
    That makes a lot of sense. I dont know much about battle. But I do know that the mindset of troops can win or lose battles. If im wrong about that, I'm going to feel real stupid.

That makes a lot of sense. I dont know much about battle. But I do know that the mindset of troops can win or lose battles. If im wrong about that, I'm going to feel real stupid.
    Mindset can be everything.

Just some FYI, there are two "recons" in the Marine Corps. Battalion and Force. Battalion is a quick cut above a regular infantry unit and Force would be like your green berets and Navy Seals.

If you ever change your mind you can be a pog and try out for Battalion. But, Force only takes infantry NCO's.

The difference is mission. Recon operates in smaller, more independent units, so the personnel must be stronger and more self sufficient.

Recon's mission is to gather intel and report to command.
    Infantry's mission is to locate, close with, and destroy the enemy.

Recon operators must be very good at navigation, sea and land.
    Infantrymen move in bigger units and do not often navigate very far from parent units.

Our Recon Marines can probably point out more differences, but these are the apparent ones to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisium View Post
    But, Force only takes infantry NCO's.
    Nope, they take anyone who passes the indoc now.
    Airwinger to Infantry.

Batt. Recon is light years ahead of Infantry battalions in terms of mindset.

They are both damn good at what they do but artillery has saved their butts many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post
    Nope, they take anyone who passes the indoc now.
    Airwinger to Infantry.

Batt. Recon is light years ahead of Infantry battalions in terms of mindset.
    There must be a high demand for them. That's interesting, thanks.

Basically a little above average grunts that can swim.

I will open that can.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Alien vs Predator.............

Quote Originally Posted by lavgunman View Post
    Basically a little above average grunts that can swim.

I will open that can.

Wasn't LAR started by Recon as a way of protecting them from budget downsizing.

Ok I will say it.... They are not that special. They just get sweet school spots that an Infantry Marine dosent get,and if they ever get the chance to use it on a real op they still do alot of the same Chit any other grunt dose. Also, they get a few cooler toys to play with but that dosent make them work a chit at all......

how it is different from infantry?
    Well, "Recon" is short for Reconnaisance. and remember these 4 words...High Speed, Low Drag

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Snoop @ Poop~ Swift Silent Deadly

h

Lol, Thank you all for the responses. It really helped out. I was just always curious about it.

Thread Information