Can't do a Pull-Up - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJames View Post
    I've been using a stool to help myself up, then I'll do negative pull-ups without the stool on the way down.

Which arm position is correct? The wide palms out, or the near palms towards my face?

I don't need to loose weight, just gain muscle.
    You can do either. In my experience though, doing a few days palms out increased my palms in max from 5 to 10.

do pushups until you cant, do lat pull downs, and those pull ups with band assist are great i am about 6'4", 215 and i was up to 22 pull ups before shoulder surgery all it takes is alot of work but it is nice to be over prepared(from wat i hear thats impossible lol) good luck!!!!!!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I weigh around 175 pounds at five feet nine and I, as well, cannot do a single pull up (since the IST at the last poolee function). Should I be focused on dropping weight or just increasing my strength?

I don't have that much time to lose weight, but I could get an extra couple of pounds off if I keep entirely off the heavy food until I go to Boot.

Also, is the time I have left (a little less than a month and a half) realistically enough to get up to the minimum from where I am now?

Quote Originally Posted by Theboyintrainin View Post
    I weigh around 175 pounds at five feet nine and I, as well, cannot do a single pull up (since the IST at the last poolee function). Should I be focused on dropping weight or just increasing my strength?

I don't have that much time to lose weight, but I could get an extra couple of pounds off if I keep entirely off the heavy food until I go to Boot.

Also, is the time I have left (a little less than a month and a half) realistically enough to get up to the minimum from where I am now?
    Why are you taking your sweet old time to get them up? IF I was you I wouldn't be on here I would be out running dropping weight and building muscles. In one month you can drop 15 pounds and get 2 pull ups EASY.

I was in the same boat. So I bought the Iron Gym, like you, and tried for about three days. Since I'm 6'2'' I started leaving my feet on the ground and doing assisted pull ups. Needless to say, my pull ups increased to 3 within the month.

I never had a problem doing pullups, but when I was trying to get to 35, I would put my arms on the bar, and jump and pull myself up when I got tired. Maybe you could try to do that, don't jump over the bar, just until maybe your arms are parallel and pull yourself the rest of the way.

Also, do bicep curls, they help your pullups more than you realize.

All the advise you have been given is solid... however, if you want to see real results visit this link http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyat...%20Program.htm

This program was created by Major Armstrong as he set out to break the world record for dead-hang pull-ups. This program works, follow it to the letter, and you will not only do 1 pull up you'll do 20+...

It's very important to do the push-up routine in the morning when you get out of the rack... You'll be doing 5+ real dead hangs within the first 2 weeks, and if you work hard you'll be doing more than 20 within 3 months...

Give it you ALL... and it's the repetitive nature of the routine that builds the strength you need to get this done.

Now, GET SOME !!!

Yeah, i can do 2 dead hang pull ups now. I expect to get to 3 by tommorrow, and i feel like i can add one whole pull-up each day. I'm 6'2" and 150lbs, btw.

wide pull-ups are still nearly impossible for me, tho.

Haha, well you probably feel my pain of monkey arms then right? At least for me, my long arms make my bench press reps ridiculous along with other upperbody workouts.

yeah, but long arms help with swimming

Thread Information