Can't do a Pull-Up
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't do a Pull-Up

I just bought the Iron Gym perfect pull-up bar, and it seems to be a really nice piece of equipment. The only problem is- I can't even do one pull-up.... I can do like half of one pull-up. Yeah, i'm pretty weak.

Whats some things i can do to increase my pull-ups, or even begin to be able to complete one real pull-up?

Search the forums, there are multiple threads on how to increase/improve your pull-up form and reps.

Step one... get a stool... step two... put your feet on the stool... step three... perform assisted pullups, repeat.

I got the Iron Gym too and trust me, it works verry well, but if you cant yet do a pullup, get a stool and hop up on the bar and do negative pullups. FYI negatives are when you start above the bar and slowly let yourself down. Do those every day along with pushups and you'll see your increase.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Alan

If you say that you cain't do something then you won't.

Gunny out

Marine Friend Free Member NicholasITALY's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    perform a series of push ups.

Quote Originally Posted by NicholasITALY View Post
    perform a series of push ups.
    Actually that advice is often overlooked. It's a good complimentary movement and a great way to rest between pullup sets

Look up how to do a lat flare on a bodybuilding website or something like that and apply it to your push ups and pull ups.

Credits
    Savings
    are you overweight? Losing weight is also a big factor. That extra 20 or 30 (or more) pounds you're carrying around can more than hinder your abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJames View Post
    I just bought the Iron Gym perfect pull-up bar, and it seems to be a really nice piece of equipment. The only problem is- I can't even do one pull-up.... I can do like half of one pull-up. Yeah, i'm pretty weak.

Whats some things i can do to increase my pull-ups, or even begin to be able to complete one real pull-up?
    You should have known GySgt Huff.

Alright, you need to watch this bro.. i think this will help you immensely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEJkiRyvy0w

Once you can do at least 7 with the assist, start doing them without. Then, once you get at least 7 without the assist, then start adding weight. You will get them down soon.

IF you cannot do pull ups with an assist, you need to focus on two things:
    -Dropping your weight
    -Building back and arm strength

good luck

I was waiting for that band to slip off his foot or snap and smack him in the face. haha

haha.. my thoughts exactly

Do timed flex arm hangs and push ups!!

I know 2 great exercises that is OVERLOOKED in weight lifting minors (I mean as in with a simple dumbbell at home 15lbs +).

These workouts that helped me max to 12 pull ups/chin ups in 2 weeks, I'm not kidding. But then again I was already doing 6 before, doubled in two weeks. Everyone sees results differently, so do not count on my gains to be the same for you.

First
    is known as a Cuban Press (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...on=&order=Name)

The 2nd one is known as the Dumbbell Shoulder Press (click the first link and look for the name).

With these two workouts you will train (build muscle needed to do a pull up) your shoulders, back and traps properly to support your weight during a pull up. But you have to try to do a pull up at the same time.

Remember to take it easy and slow in the beginning, and do sets of push ups in between rest. This way your heart rate and hype is still at max, DO NOT REST MORE THEN 1.5 minutes, this is to build endurance (if you must, then do so accordingly, lol not a 10 minute rest obviously).

I know several other ones, but you can find them on that website I use as well. Just look for other exercises that can work for you.

Keep us updated on your progress.

I've been using a stool to help myself up, then I'll do negative pull-ups without the stool on the way down.

Which arm position is correct? The wide palms out, or the near palms towards my face?

I don't need to loose weight, just gain muscle.

Any hand position works. When I got my bar and could only do like a half pull up I took some string a old hockey stick and tied it to the ceiling. All I did was put my feet on the bar and would do 4 sets of max pull ups which would be like 15.. Its like doing a homemade version of an assisted pulled up and it helped me greatly incease. Also if your having weight problems try to loose some. I do weighed pull ups once and a while with only 20 pounds and i can do 3 where i normally do about 8-9. Just my two cents.

Thread Information