How to give drill commands..
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How to give drill commands..

Marines, last week jobs were assigned to certain Poolees at the West Indy Recruiting Station because we have a state wide Poolee Function coming up. I was assigned to be the Poolee Platoon Leader (or Sgt.) and I felt very accomplished. The issue is that I don't exactly know how to give out drill commands which is part of my job description. Now I was volun-told for this, and I like the challenge because I know with practice I will be able to do it, and I don't want to get fired. So can you guys please enlighten me on this subject. I need to learn how to give drill commands so my Poolee Platoon don't look like clowns because their leader is one. I know how to drill, but i don't know how someone would give the commands. I need to learn from the basics so I can practice. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys can help me out.

What kind of drill commands? Marching drill commands or are you talking about having poolees in formation and putting them at parade rest, present arms, at east, attention?

Ask the recruiters and/or other Marines that may be there or returning from boot camp to help teach you all as a platoon at one of your pool functions before the competition. It's hard to teach via text/book. Need to do it more in person.

Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up You'll be FINE

Quote Originally Posted by duarte View Post
    I know how to drill, but i don't know how someone would give the commands.

Carefully....

You'll be fine, as long as you're not going up against the "Legendary Drill Instructor" *choke* himself.. He is everywhere. Just trust your recruiters and any Marines who come home on RA or what not. You'll be fine...

Freaked out
    Insecure
    Neurotic
    Emotional

Kill

Like Atten-hut, Right-Face, About-Face, Left-Face, Parade-Rest, Present-Arms, Ready-To, At Ease?

Or Column Left-March and stuff like that. The facing/stationary commands are easy, the marching commands get tricky for what foot to call it on. Most marching commands are called on the left foot, with the exception of Column Left, Right Flank, Right Oblique, and a few others I cant think of right now. You have to actually march yourself to call them correctly while practicing. I'll give you an example.

Say you want to do Column Left, it should go like this.

(right foot) Column (left foot)left (pause, right foot) (left foot) March (pivot on right foot).

Or a Left Flank

(left)By the (right)Left (left) Flank (right, pause) (left) March (pivot on the right foot)

Platoon Halt would be

(left) Platooon, (left, Pause) (right) Halt, (left, step) (right comes together with left foot)

Hope this clears up some, you can't get good at calling commands while marching unless you practice yourself at home.

Credits
    Savings
    The finer points of pitch and inflection get even trickier. I will not pretend to have any clue how to do it, just seen enough MFs get lit up for doing it wrong.

I really doubt they're expecting a poolee to learn the finer points of drill and actually march a platoon but I may be wrong. I could just see Poolee Schmucatelly calling "Open Ranks" or "To the Rear, March" while maintaining his position in the platoon and marking time seperate from the platoon. Talk about a cluster fvck waiting to happen.

Regardless, just sound off when you give your commands and make sure you break the commands in half and emphasize the back half.

Parade------REST! This ensures that the platoon hears what command is coming and allows them a quick second to prepare for the movement. They need to execute the command as quickly as possible. Snap and Pop!

In Corporal's Course when they taught us drill, they emphasize keeping a command precense and the best ones at drill are not only the ones that know when to call the commands but the ones with the booming voices so that everyone can hear them.

And what ever you do, do not issue the command, "Cock Face"! You will get hazed.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post

And what ever you do, do not issue the command, "Cock Face"! You will get hazed.

Zing!

Marine Free Member Matt Brzycki's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Without dusting off my drill manual (circa 1978, though I bet it hasn't changed much), here are some additional points which I hope are true despite my deteriorating memory chip:

There are two commands: The preparatory command and the command of execution. Man, I hadda reach deep for that one. The preparatory command, as the name implies, prepares the platoon for the movement. After this, there should be a slight pause (when used in a stationary position) before the command of execution. When marching, of course, the pause before the command of execution is one step.

Now, technically, according to the manual - unless there's been a change which would surprise me - the command of execution when marching is supposed to be "march" or "harch." Nuthin else. Any and all personal touches - such as "huh," "heh" or whatever - ARE UNAUTHORIZED. Either "march" or "harch" and that's it.

And, of course, as someone else pointed out, the key when marching is to start the preparatory command on the correct foot. Same concept applies when marching while doing rifle manual. Best way to do this, I think, is to practice on yourself. For stationary commands, we used to practice on trees. Serious. If your command presence was such that the tree actually followed your orders - or at least got the tree to shake - you were well on your way to getting through DI School.

Lastly, don't rush the time between the preparatory command and the command of execution in the stationary position. Ya gotta give the platoon a little time for the preparatory command to register. On the other hand, you don't wanna take forever between the two.

Matt Brzycki
    Sergeant (1975-79)

The only personnel who I ever saw in the Marine Corps who knew how to give drill commands were Dril Instructors or former Drill Instructors. Anyone else is a pretender and usually it is like a monkey trying to rape a football.

First off, you need CONFIDENCE! Judging by your post, you do not have too much. So what if you screw up a command, you are a poolee not a Marine. Just practice, practice, and practice some more until you have the confidence to be a decent driller. Have your recruiters teach you what they know.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    What kind of idiot would say something like that, Corporal?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Brzycki View Post
    doing rifle manual. Best way to do this, I think, is to practice on yourself. For stationary commands, we used to practice on trees. Serious. If your command presence was such that the tree actually followed your orders - or at least got the tree to shake - you were well on your way to getting through DI School.
    Careful, Sgt, we don't wouldn't want to give away too many secrets about DI school, now would we?

I love the way you worded that, though... I'm still chuckling...

Quote Originally Posted by Books View Post
    What kind of idiot would say something like that, Corporal?
    LOL, I don't know Books...you tell me.

Thread Information